New Ride to be!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

tucker
BMX
BMX

Post by tucker »

What problems are you tracking down? I've had blown stator coils (charge and exciter) on various scooters.[/quote]

Thanks for the data. Looks like I have an alternator exciter coil, an alternatorl coil, and a pulse coil. The headlight coil you list I am not familiar with but I do not have a manual. I am not tracking any particular problem right now other than my ignorance. Disassembled the Gyro except for splitting the case and everything looks good. Wanted the coil specs before putting the flywheel back on. I am getting together a parts list. The only major parts I need are a speedometer cable, just the inner transmitter shaft, and of course the brake cables are frozen. Gaskets, pistons rings, carb kit. Nothing major. My major wish is a manual to download but have not yet found a MM50ND just a TG50.
thanks for your help.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Re: Alternator, Headlight coil. Sorry, I should have noted they were on the same core. The Alternator/Headlight coil is a single item, tapped for the lower headlight voltage.

For your front brake - early Spree cable is approx 2" shorter, and needs a little grinding of the brake end to fit the hub. The cable length is a little tight but can be dressed out to fit. I remember the later Spree (86/87) would require more work. I think they changed both ends, maybe could be made to fit.

Don't have any info for rear brake cables other than the 84 is different than the later model in length and brake ends. BTW: I posted a pic of a very corroded splitter in the thread below. Surprisingly, the brakes worked, though not very well.. http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewto ... rake+cable
tucker
BMX
BMX

Post by tucker »

[quote="mousewheels"]For your front brake - early Spree cable is approx 2" shorter, and needs a little grinding of the brake end to fit the hub.

I think I found a Spree front brake cable in my box of spares that I got with the Gyro, unfortunately I broke my Gyro front brake cable holder trying to make it fit. Then I found another Gyro front brake hub in the box and swapped it all out. Then ground the Spree cable and it works just as you said it might. Had to swap out the speedometer gears, they were bunged up.
Tested the coils and these are the results:
pulse generator: 20 (10-100)
alternator exciter: 288 (100-400)
alternator charge coil: .7 (.1-1.5)
primary ignition coil: .2 (.2-.3)
secondary ignition coil: 4.2 (8.2-9.3) and that is without the spark plug cap. I don't know if your figures include the cap or not. The 85 Spree manual I have shows 7.4-11k without the cap. So mine seems low, however I have three coils and all three tested almost exactly the same numbers. Maybe they all have bad secondary windings or maybe the plug wires on all three are bad because they are all original and 25 years old. Will wait til I can get it put back together to see what kind of fire I get before replacing the coil.
Really appreciate your help. That information allows me to put the flywheel back on and start sealing up that side.
One more questions while I think of it. Is there an interlock between the front or rear brake and the starter relay. Seems I ran into that information somewhere along the line but I do not have an owner's manual and I would hate to have something like that stump me. I tend to think it is the rear brake system since it has the locking mechanism associated with it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The coil resistance measurement was with the cap on. If you have three measuring the same you are likely just fine.
One more questions while I think of it. Is there an interlock between the front or rear brake and the starter relay.
Correct - Electrically, the starter relay coil power comes from the same line as the rear stop light. That node is fed to the Start button contact, the other end goes to the relay coil. So if you have a brake light on (front or rear brake lever pulled) a push of the start button should close the relay. If not check the button and relay.
---

You are doing well with that scooter. Everything is sounding functional.