New here

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

tony6264
Noob
Noob

New here

Post by tony6264 »

Hello all,

I am new here and very new to scooters...I just bought my first one last week.
Its a 1984 Honda NH80.
Any tips or tricks from you guys would be appreciated.
The scooter runs pretty good....especially when warm, but it seems to want to sputter a bit when it is below 65 degrees...plus the gas is at least a year old. I drained out what I could, but can I use a bottle of carb cleaner?....if so, how much do put in?
Also...any idea of how fast I can expect this thing to go without any modification.
thanks
Tony
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: New here

Post by CaptDan »

tony6264 wrote:Hello all,

I am new here and very new to scooters...I just bought my first one last week.
Its a 1984 Honda NH80.
Any tips or tricks from you guys would be appreciated.
The scooter runs pretty good....especially when warm, but it seems to want to sputter a bit when it is below 65 degrees...plus the gas is at least a year old. I drained out what I could, but can I use a bottle of carb cleaner?....if so, how much do put in?
Also...any idea of how fast I can expect this thing to go without any modification.
thanks
Tony
Welcome. There's a real great crew of experts here; unfortunately the fingers typing this aren't connected to one. :lol:

Is the NH80 the same as the Aero 80? Nice bike.

My suggestion is to remove the carb, disassemble it, seperate the gaskets, then soak the entire shebang in a can of Gunk(tm) carb cleaner. Then, blow out all the passage ways with a can of compressed carb spray followed by blasts of air.

Reinstall carb; set the idle and idle-mixture. Change to a new NKG sparkplug correctly gapped. See if all that helps your engine performance. If not, there's likely still crap in the carb, and another cleaning is in order. (Trust me, 3 or 4 cleanings sometimes is necessary when old gas is allowed to sit in the carb for long periods).

Finally, be sure to run good injector oil - like Honda GN2. Makes for a lot less smoke, better performance and longer motor life.

CaptDan>
tony6264
Noob
Noob

Post by tony6264 »

Thanks for the info.....where do I get the oil you mentioned?
Also, the gas was not in there for more than a a couple months, do you think I might get some improvement from ptting something like gumot in the tank.
I am not much of a mechanic when it comes to bikes...this is my first one.
And BTW....yeah this is the AREO.
Wheelman-111

LubricAerofication

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Captain submits:
Finally, be sure to run good injector oil - like Honda GN2. Makes for a lot less smoke, better performance and longer motor life.
And tastes great, less filling, clears up your herpes, makes leggy Supermodels want to surrender their virtues to you...

and Tony64 responds:
Thanks for the info.....where do I get the oil you mentioned?
Uh, gee I dunno. . . If only there was some clue, some hint or sign of where to get that stuff. Beats me! I give up. :)

I kinda figured. Welcome to the Phorum. Hope you can cake a joke. Congrats on newfound Aerophilia. Better late than never. Good find. It should run 50 or more if you tune it up just a little. Not very many aftermarket go-slightly-faster parts but it's an understressed 80 that should last a good long time. You can read more Here:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/page1/page6/page6.html

Have fun with it!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

its a great scoot, expect at least 55mph but any other mods would have to be custom made.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

tony6264 wrote:Thanks for the info.....where do I get the oil you mentioned?
Also, the gas was not in there for more than a a couple months, do you think I might get some improvement from ptting something like gumot in the tank.
And BTW....yeah this is the AREO.
Almost any authorized Honda dealer carries it. I just picked up a bottle yesterday at the local motor-sickle shoppe - an emporium selling everything from the new Triumphs to Honda scoots. About $6 a bottle and worth every penny.

It's been my humble experience that oil injected 2-strokes owned by POs (previous Oafish_Oilerz :D ) using 'garden variety' chainsaw lube usually suffer several problems: gunked up exhausts and cylinders, reduced performance, excessive smoke. Injector oil - particularly GN2 and even Castrated's version - is precisely what these engines require; anything less is a ticket to an early rebuild, IMO.

So to sum up: maybe those 1958 Vespa VBAs can handle the EvinRude outboard lube, but HondaSan's two strokes need a better brew. :P

Also, I don't think gas left for a few months is a problem; but older gas plus low-rent oil can make for a sick motor. :shock: However, a dollop of StaBil in the tank is good cheap insurance.

CaptDan>
tony6264
Noob
Noob

Post by tony6264 »

Is there a way to drain out the oil in there now?
As I said before...I am very new to this all and would appreciate any ideas and help.
This thing is a blast to ride and I want to try to keep it as nice as possible with minimal problems.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

tony6264 wrote:Is there a way to drain out the oil in there now?
As I said before...I am very new to this all and would appreciate any ideas and help.
This thing is a blast to ride and I want to try to keep it as nice as possible with minimal problems.
I believe the oil reservoire can be removed, drained and cleaned. There's also an oil strainer filter in the oil pump. That should be cleaned as well.

If you haven't already done so, download the service manual from the Tech Documents section on this site. It's an excellent maintenance resource, as are the fine service articles done by the really smart guys on this list.

No argument - these old scoots are a kick to ride, especially when they're nicely tuned and humming pretty. :wink:

CaptDan>