New-To-Me '87 DJ-1

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

DJPhatman

Post by DJPhatman »

I have everything but the bore kit, and an adapted to go from the 2 bolt intake manifold to a spigot mount 19mm Dellorto. 50cc.EU has the adapter, but I want to see if anyone other than Patrick (Daywot) has the bore kits. His shipping charges kind of put me off. I got a good deal on the shocks, 2 of them for USD$100 shipped. They are the adjustable 280mm length, so I have one on my CH80 (daily rider) and one on the '87 SE50P. I also have a home-made exhaust pipe that I got in a package deal from someone who blew up their big bore SE50, and decided to swap a dio into it. I guess I'll have to spring for the other carb, as I want an electric by-starter anyway. I'll give VT Cycles a call, and see what they have to offer for a bore kit.
Wheelman-111

Bore Kit

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

VT has a Taiwanese 46mm bore for your AF05 which is not well-regarded here. Not that anyone has actually tried it. At under $100 I'd be inclined to try it myself. DayWOT's Polini is almost twice that but proven good quality.
Last edited by Wheelman-111 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Plastic Surgery

Post by veedubh20 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Here's what I have so far. The way-cool headset integrated lamps and signals:

The bottom tabs are present & accounted for. Both top screw-threaded tabs are MIA. Easy to reproduce, though.

The backside of said headset, speedo reads 2500 and change:

I wish Flash had a "Speed Warning". It would burn out quickly. :) It's set to 40 KPH.

The body plastics are also remarkably well-preserved, although about 20% of the tabs/threaded sleeves are gone. Most of them are on opposite sides, so it's easy to see how to build new ones. Just create a mirror image of the good one on the other side. A little clear tape and use of the existing mount tabs allowed me to mock it up:

Lots of chips, nicks and scratches, but totally restorable. All it takes is time and a trip to the body shop supply store. Even the chrome rack is unbent. Just one more pic and I'm done for the weekend:

The floor plastics and everything gray looks great when wet. I've tried two different detergents in the Boudoir bathtub. I have been unable to scrub that whitish residue that reappears as soon as the plastic dries. Short of paint - which probably wouldn't stick too well anyway - does anyone know how to eliminate that? Solvent rubdown?

For the more mechanically minded, I'll chronicle the frame and chassis teardown next week.

where are the japan handle bar w/ jdm switches? :lol:

solvent will messup color that no no!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Bore Kit

Post by burnt_toast »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings;

VT has a Taiwanese 46mm bore for your AF05 which is not well-regarded here. Not that anyone has actually tried it. At under $100 I'd be inclined to try it myself. DayWOT's Pluni is almost twice that but proven good quality.
I would totally try it, Taiwan is good stuff >> China man goods by far
projects galore :nerd:
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

since I see this very nice build i can sell you a rare set of malossi 7 to 1 gears for that motor for $100 if i can find them. You will have to pay for shipping though. The 87 was my first bike which is completey converted to disc. The malossi 7 to 1 is for the af 05 motor.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

Wheelman-111

DJ-1

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nice Deej!

If those are Malossi 67-6458, they are available in Europe for less than your asking price including shipping. I believe you paid less than $100. too.

Thanks for the offer.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Re: Bumper Dressing

Post by Clivester »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Thanks for the bumper dressing suggestion. I have some - actually 3 different brands - and can't believe I didn't think of it. Senility creeps up on little cat feet. If there's a suggestion about a product to clean it first, lemme have it.
Hi Wheelman:

that white coating is the top layer of plastic that's gone brittle due to UV exposure. I've had the best results with course rubbing compound (the orange-ish stuff in a flat can). Rub it over the panel with a scrubbing brush and keep scrubbing in circular motions, applying more as it appears to dry up. I'll warn you though, it takes a lot of elbow grease and your boudoir may take on a nice evening sunset tone as the stuff flicks all over the place.

The problem with trying to paint the floorboards is that they look good initially, but then the finish peels off looking even worse than before - even with paints supposedly designed for plastic.

If you are rebuilding the tabs, I strongly recommend going with ABS cement plus woven glass fiber rather than epoxy. It bonds better to the panels, but does to several days to set properly.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Re: DJ-1

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

Nice Deej!

If those are Malossi 67-6458, they are available in Europe for less than your asking price including shipping. I believe you paid less than $100. too.

Thanks for the offer.
can you post a pic because one of the af05 front gearing needs to be pressed and the rears main drive gear is held with a c clip. I have had this gearing for while now since i don't mess with af05 motors but can use these malossis with a full set up for the dio engine
Wheelman-111

67-6458

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sorry no pics currently. Search the Malossi part number 67-6458 here and Google. I picked mine up on eBay international for under $80 shipped.
Wheelman-111
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Re: 67-6458

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

Sorry no pics currently. Search the Malossi part number 67-6458 here and Google. I picked mine up on eBay international for under $80 shipped.
so it does fit with no modification and you have them installed in your af05 motor?
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

from the pictures i saw it was a primary for a dio motor when i googled it. Am I wrong?
Wheelman-111

Those Wacky Italians!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Search "wacky Italians" for the full story. I took a chance on the Word of an Englishman. He said they'd fit and they did, without modification. The final drive becomes 7.83:1. Flash pulled it to 55+ with the stock carb.

Installation replaces stock clutch shaft and larger countershaft gear with 16/32, leaving stock secondary 12/47.

Be careful, the label photos on the box marked 67-6458 shows BOTH versions; one appears yo fit the AF16, the other is for the 05. Make sure you get the latter if you're mounting on a pre-'94 Elite or Aero. They are increasingly rare.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Deej Update

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I forgot to thank Clivester for painting advice. From my earliest days windsurfing - late 70s - I'm familiar with the properties of polyethylene - of which the floorboards appear to be composed. Nothing but Nothing sticks to PE. I'll try to apply Back to Black trim dressing to see what happens.

The switches are in metal clamps. The 2-piece kicker cover turns the engine. Flash is getting that cover adapted to run the open clutch.

I pulled the carb to soak it tonight. Very little sludge, consistent with the P.P.'s assertion that it ran in 2008. The stock jet is an 85, which suggests that the exotic pipe is freer-flowing than the Aero's' which came with an 82. The Airbox is bigger, too.

Last call for Intake-side parts. They go on eBay this week.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

DJ-1 and the EPA

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It seems the Deej was hiding some secrets. I took off the shroud to find this:

It seems some rare species of Scooter Shrew had built its nest over the manifold... After the EPA's Endangered Species Team left, I had to vacuum up the straw and mud. At least I hope it was mud :shock: .

The manifold held some secrets too. Despite case port and mani mount identical to Flash's 05 block, the reed cage held 3 petals;

Evidently an early variant because it has only 2 mounting screws. I've been meaning to acquire and try a triplet on Flash, so this one gets bolted on next week, after substitution for high-modulus carbon petals of course.

Otherwise the Deej seems to be set up exactly like Flash's AF 05 E, same 11:1 gearing which with its 8-inch wheels probably makes for sprightly take-offs. The bigger 85 main jet suggests the oddball exhaust flows better though.

The stripping process continues...

Up for grabs will be a really nicely-preserved stock bore kit with minimal sign of wear, the muffler, and 2 stock carbs. I'll also have another stock variator and clutch assembly, a 10.25 (260) shock, and an 8" rear wheel for the Low Riders among us. The tire's pretty checked, but the wheel is true. For wheelie fans, this is Wheelie City...
Wheelman-111