Starting Relay Woes

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

tucker
BMX
BMX

Starting Relay Woes

Post by tucker »

1984 Gyro with a problem. Trying to eliminate me as the potential problem. I don't have a manual for the Gyro but am using the 1984 Spree manual as a guide realizing it may not be exactly the same but probably a lot of commonality. I am getting power to the starter relay but not from the battery to the starter relay. Relay clicks. Starter will run when I hot wire it from the battery or thru the wire that runs from the starter relay to to the starter. But I am not getting voltage from the battery to the starter relay on the circuit that runs directly between the two according to the schematic. I can only assume the wire is bad somewhere along that route between the battery and the relay. The rest of the circuit looks to be good thru testing. Any other ideas? Anybody got an actual Gyro manual they could check the schematic for me?
Thanks.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Broken wire.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Spree manual will do fine for the starter motor circuit. I had an NN50 manual coming in the mail, and of all times for mail theft that was the day. Empty envelope arrived 2 wks ago :cry:

Yep, broken wire would do it - but its usually where you can see it at the battery terminal.

Sometimes the relay will click, but the contacts are not making a good electrical contact.

The red wire to the relay is always hot. Pull the relay, and check for +12 at the relay terminal. If present, then check out the relay.
tucker
BMX
BMX

Post by tucker »

Broken right at the positive terminal behind the connector. Fused wire to lights was good. Now trying to trouble shoot the igintion. Amazing. Hip bone connected to the leg bone. Leg bone connected to the knee.