This... Is... (no longer) SPARTA! ! ! ! ! ! (new peds)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

the piston is froze in the cylinder.

Even after weeks of being filled with PB Blaster, its still froze.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
circusracer
Goped
Goped

Post by circusracer »

Time for the torches! (or a big press)
84,85,86 sprees: Intake mod, drilled pipe, .020" milled 1985 head, dome piston, 2mm raised exhaust port, sb50 reeds, 34mph average.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Dac wrote:the piston is froze in the cylinder.
Even after weeks of being filled with PB Blaster, its still froze.
Since the piston is toast anyway, take a hammer and punch to it. No wait. Use a hammer handle instead. A wooden handle shouldn't harm the piston unless you get really rough, and if you have to get that rough, it was toast anyway.

Once it's out, then you can hone and examine the cylinder. That bike is too good looking to part out. If you do decide to abandon the project, I have a friend in Wisc who might be interested in it. He's heavy into the Mopeds.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Even the crank is kinda messed up/froze. I really dont think im going to be fixing this motor. The price would not be worth the payout.

I got a friend in the MopedArmy who im going to be selling the bike too.
Then some guys at 1977mopeds are looking for the main drive gears (the only part of this motor that is good).

So im keeping the remains of the motors but the rest of it is going soon.

But im not sad at all. Look what i just picked up....

A Puch (/Sears/Allstate) FreeSpirit.

[after taking the pictures i realized it still had the centerstand :lol: ]

Its missing a few things, like the carb, intake, handlebars. But Everything thats missing is common Puch parts that can be upgraded. So im not worried about it.

And to top it all off... $40 :D
1991--------Tomos Targa-
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Nice dude!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You could try filling the jug with diesel and lighting it, that might unlock it.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

sell the sparta imo.. SELL SELL SELL :P
projects galore :nerd:
dreamer1uk
BMX
BMX

Post by dreamer1uk »

Hey,

Im new here and everyday i look at these forums, i swear you have a new Moped everytime i visit this forum, lol. Avid collector i see?
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:You could try filling the jug with diesel and lighting it, that might unlock it.
Interesting. Have you ever done this?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

dreamer1uk wrote:Hey,

Im new here and everyday i look at these forums, i swear you have a new Moped everytime i visit this forum, lol. Avid collector i see?
I wish man, Im just some kid trying to fill up his shed :lol: .

Funny thing is, once you get so many. You dont find them, They find you...

-I found the sparta when my grandma called me and said "hey my friend Cozy said he had an old moped sitting in his garage. Heres his number ***-***-****, call him up and talk to him"
-Then the "kymco-family bike" was the same type of deal. My uncle called me and said "hey the person my friend lives with has a moped hes selling off cheap. you want his number?"
-The puch tho'. the newest one, just showed up in my back yard. (no joke). It had a note on it that said "Hey call me -Craig" (a friend of mine). I call him and he was like "hey i found that at a yard sale for $40. I just picked it up for you. Just pay me back whenever"
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

No, but I have heard of people doing it with sucess.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
HondaCharlie
BMX
BMX

Post by HondaCharlie »

not just any free spirit, a RIGID free spirit!! Those are pretty hard to come by. Lets all pray that you dont have the roids, ouch,watch those potholes!!
I had a chocolate brown 77 sparta that was absolutely beautiful. IMO they are the classiest looking mopeds ever made. They are also called Foxi and Foxi sports. I parted mine out on ebay. Think about it= there are NO sparta parts on ebay. My rip free long seat sold for $98 dollars, my chrome rear rack sold for almost $100 too. They have sprockets on both sides of the rear wheels=when you need a spart wheel nothing else fits. ALL the chrome parts sold for BIG bucks, I think I got almost 850 out of parting it out. If yours has the chrome headlight nwith the speedometer and key on it you can get over $100 for that alone, no BS. The bare frame with no title bid up to $70, even with a $40 shipping price. I am not exaggerating, PART IT OUT! You will be ballin afterwards. BUT, I STILL regret ever getting rid of it. Athena makes an 80cc reedvalve kit for it that even comes with an athena carb, and used sachs bottom ands can be scored for cheap. the 504 engines are handbrakes, the 505 engines have the cool "suicide brake", you pedal backwards to stop the rear wheel, just like a pedal bike. But the 505 wont mount up, trust me I tried. I was very big into vintage mopeds before I got into scooters, or "toilets" as the mopedarmy guys call them.

CHEVYGUYJAY- You scored an elite for installing aftermarket gauges in a chevy AVEO!?!? But wait, wouldnt the elite be faster than the Aveo that replaced it? :lol: Sorry, I absolutely DESPISE the Aveo, I think the hatchback version is 100% the goofiest ugliest car made. But I'm sure they are good on gas, too bad any driver over 5'10" is going to look like a big toe sticking out of the thing :P But no seriously, NICE score!!
HondaCharlie
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Update for the puch...

First off, i aired up the tires and took off the motor chain (since the rear tire wouldn't move). Blasted some PB blaster on the bicycle chain and rode it around the yard a few times. Tires seem to hold air fine and all the bicycle parts seem to work fine.
I rode it around like a bicycle for a while. But then the fun stopped and worked started...

Started by dropping the motor and fuel tank ( no real reason for removing the tank. I just felt like it )

Tore the cylinder off. Piston/rings/cylinder look good, not amazing. but not bad. However, when taking it apart i noticed i couldn't move the crank. So i pulled it all apart to find out what was up. Found that water had gotten into the motor and froze up all the bearings. Left a nasty brown 'mud' all over in the motor too. I haven't started to clean it up yet. but it seems to wipe up real easy.

what?

didnt think there was going to be pictures? :lol:

(Its not rust. its just this mud like stuff)
1991--------Tomos Targa-
dreamer1uk
BMX
BMX

Post by dreamer1uk »

Hey,

Its looking good!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Needs boost port!