[Spree] No rubber between the carb and the float

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Can you pull out the brass thing in the carb under the bystarter?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

sure, it slides right out

i think ill try reassembling the bystarter
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

so it seems like my bystarter had an extra spring in it or something...that short one in my picture is nowhere to be seen in that step-by-step guide provided in this thread

so i didn't *fully* disassemble then reassemble it, since it just seemed only the lowest two parts came out, and the spree ran. however, once i filled up the tank, the carb was dripping gasoline from the sides again (the cardboard gasket is not there anymore). the gasoline didn't stop after i turned the spree off though, so i removed the gas hose, and it kept dumping gasoline all over the floor, so i clamped it off.

it seems to me that even if the gas hose isn't relying on the vacuum hose to tell it when to dump gas, it should stop in the carb anyway, kind of like a moped. so something's still wrong with my carb that it's seeping gas, but i don't know what :(
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

i just had a similar problem, heed the wise advice of the elder moped-o-philes; clean your carb. the float or needle is probably sticky/dirty/bad. i got mine going again with the only invesment being a can of carb cleaner. a BIG can.
i'm 99% sure your problems lay in this region, as the spot it's leaking from(and you have so neatly circled in your pics) is the bowl overflow. if you don't want to spend money, than at least don't skimp on spending time.
best of luck in your carb adventures :D
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Wheelman-111

Bystarter Disassembly

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The pic in your Fri May 08, 2009 10:53 am post shows what happened to my original carb when I pulled it apart - literally. The brass plunger with the little protruding spring was supposed to come along with the black bystarter assembly. In my case and yours, evidently, the resin in the carb cemented it into its well. A 2-day soak in Napa Carb Cleaner freed things up enough to remove. An additional 2 days' soaking was required before I could remove my throttle slide. :!:

Search The Beast! :twisted:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

i had already soaked the entire carb for a bit, but i went and disassembled the float specifically and soaked it in some paint thinner

i haven't noticed it leaking yet, but it's fooled me in the past

i did notice that it's not idleing nearly as high as it used to, but it also doesn't seem to go as fast ;P
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Lamb wrote:im not seeing how i'd get the circle rim of a condom to fit over the weird shape of the carb :/

i would like to know why my spree is being a little b**** and crying tears of gas constantly though
Along with his sage 2-wheeled advice, Mr Wheelman's biting humor is well regarded. One must take these friendly jabs in the spirit they're intended: that if you can't laugh at yourself then others certainly will. :o

In any event, you really should consider putting some new, Hondasan-correct gasketage on your carb, there Boss. Sometimes the simplest solution might not be the cheapest - but it's often the smartest. :wink:

CaptDan>
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

i actually was seriously considering a condom had it really been the current gasket failing me ;P
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Lamb wrote:i actually was seriously considering a condom had it really been the current gasket failing me ;P
I went through some carb adventures with Pasquale (red unit to the left.)
Takin' the carb off, cleaning, remounting, leaking, bad running, removing, re-cleaning, respraying, remounting, more leaking, bad running, flooding, removing, cleaning some more, remounting more leaking, etc etc etc etc....... :oops:

In my sorry case, the problems were

1. BeCocked fuel valve; a PO had shoved a 1 inch machine screw in its gut allowing fuel to run like the Mississippi. I changed out to a new valve.

2. Messed up float needle valve. Cleaned some more

3. BeCocked ByPharter(tm). I've come to the conclusion that ByPharters are like women: a good one will treat ya right. A bad one is a bag full o' grief. Replaced with PROPER HondaSan ByPharter.

4. Mis-shapen, abused, nicked, bent, and deformed jets and carb innards. This conclusion was reached after thoroughly dismantling the emulsion tubes and poking gtar wire through the near-invisible hole-age.

Final Solution: I bit the bullet and ordered another carb from 'Greg' - the Spree Carb Guru. All problems solved.

Epilogue:

Spudz who let Sprees sit for a millenium with raw, untreated fuel in the system, should be attached to a truck bumper and taken for a thrill ride over fresh pavement. :twisted:

CaptDan>