How to lose my business

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wiguy05
Elite
Elite

How to lose my business

Post by wiguy05 »

To say that I'm a little steamed off is an understatement. Last week I ordered a few parts from Daywot over on eBay which included a Kelly Variator, a 9.1:1 gearset and a grab spring trio. The parts themselves cost me $107, which IMO was reasonable. The shipping however was what has me T'ed off. The shipping charge for these three SMALL items was $31! I reluctantly paid the $31 with a lot of grumbling.

Fast forward to yesterday:
The parts arrive and what were they shipped in? Basically a MANILLA ENVELOPE! I paid $31 for my parts to be shipped in an ENVELOPE!?

Emailing daywot didn't make me any happier. His reply basically stated that "I should be happy I got a good deal" on the parts and that he "has to have a modest handling fee" (evidently to increase his profits even more).

Take this as a heads up to other forum members. I for one will no longer be purchasing ANYTHING from him, as there are many other (and far cheaper) Hawaiian sellers out there. These other sellers also charge MUCH less in shipping/handling costs (I've called to inquire).
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: How to lose my business

Post by bradthreee »

That really sucks but I see it all the time on ebay. Sellers list their items on the low end, then add the difference on the shipping charges. The reason they do that is because sellers don't have to pay any fees to Ebay on the shipping charges. Whenever I see an item like that i avoid buying it. If i really need it then I contact the seller and ask him to lower the shipping charges. They usually agree to cut some off of it.
Me as a seller on Ebay, I understand hiking up the shipping a few dollars to cover some of the fees, shipping supplies, and my time but usually people unerstand as long as the fees are not rediculous. $31 for shipping on items that weight a few pounds and can fit in a flat rate priority mail box, which costs around $8 is rediculous. I would have understood paying up to $14.
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

bradthreee wrote:$31 for shipping on items that weight a few pounds and can fit in a flat rate priority mail box, which costs around $8 is rediculous. I would have understood paying up to $14.
That was exactly my thinking.

$12-$15 should have easily covered shipping/a box/tape and fees. Where did the extra $16-$19 go? Right into his wallet, thats where.

I wasn't going to make a thread here until he emailed me back saying I should "just cool off".
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

It's funny, I'd just been thinking yesterday that I wanted some parts for my bike.
I had to weigh my options:
Daywot with the not great communications and online ordering

VT Cycles with the phone the place and hope they had what I wanted

I'd messaged Patrick a few times and decided he'd get my business only if he had something really unique.

I called VT last night and have an OKO variator, a Japan tail, & a set of mirrors inbound.
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

Eft37 wrote:It's funny, I'd just been thinking yesterday that I wanted some parts for my bike.
I had to weigh my options:
Daywot with the not great communications and online ordering

VT Cycles with the phone the place and hope they had what I wanted

I'd messaged Patrick a few times and decided he'd get my business only if he had something really unique.

I called VT last night and have an OKO variator, a Japan tail, & a set of mirrors inbound.
Can I ask what VT gets for the JDM tail? And did you get the smoked, clear or just OEM tail?
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

It was $45, smoked, they stopped carrying clear.
$50 for the OKO
$20 for a set of mirrors.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

yes, it good to call if they have it in stock. :mrgreen:
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

and the guy was totally nice & friendly. another bonus. but verdict is out until that box arrives.
code47mastermind
BMX
BMX

Post by code47mastermind »

i ordered a polini big bore kit, keli variator, and 1k cluthc springs 2 weeks ago

Subtotal: 207.00
Shipping: 23.00

I even got 2 packages.. one sent from hawaii, and the big bore kit was drop shipped from cali
i'm in cali
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

Is patrick located in Hawaii? I've emailed and asked him before but got no response. Some things are listed as being on the mainland and some are in HI.
I always wondered why it's $50 to ship a bore from HI to HI, when I've had 30 lb. subwoofers come from indiana for $23 each.

That being said, all the shipping prices are listed (at least for me they are). Maybe it comes from growing up in HI, but I always total the parts + the shipping while price shopping.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

808BMW wrote: That being said, all the shipping prices are listed (at least for me they are). Maybe it comes from growing up in HI, but I always total the parts + the shipping while price shopping.
I did know the shipping prices beforehand. I had emailed Patrick to "combine" the shipping as they all were coming in the same package. After not hearing back from him I was forced to pay all three individually, eventhough they were shipped in the same half-* envelope.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
code47mastermind
BMX
BMX

Post by code47mastermind »

code47mastermind wrote:I even got 2 packages.. one sent from hawaii, and the big bore kit was drop shipped from cali
i'm in cali
808BMW wrote:Is patrick located in Hawaii? I've emailed and asked him before but got no response. Some things are listed as being on the mainland and some are in HI.
I always wondered why it's $50 to ship a bore from HI to HI, when I've had 30 lb. subwoofers come from indiana for $23 each.
most of his big bore kits are drop shipped from California, but patrick is located in HI
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

thats business for ya
projects galore :nerd:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Eft37 wrote:and the guy was totally nice & friendly. another bonus. but verdict is out until that box arrives.
the two main guys that run that place is Keoni and Steve. Both of them are super friendly and totally reasonable guys. They wont try to force a sale on you or anything like that. They will make sure you get what you need and nothing more.

I have talked to both of them and both of them have hooked me up with good deals before. I will return to them for everything i buy for my scooters. As long as they are in business im staying away from ebay.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
DandyDan
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by DandyDan »

bradthreee wrote:The reason they do that is because sellers don't have to pay any fees to Ebay on the shipping charges.
I've purchased from Daywot before and he was open about doing this. Paying $25 shipping for a $25 ignition coil seemed like too much but Daywot explained that this coil is $40-$50 elsewhere (true) and he was just re-structuring the cost so it benefitted him and didn't hurt me. That made sense so I bought it.

In my experience, Daywot was open about doing this. It would be a lot worse if you didn't know the shipping costs when you purchased the item and then got slapped with this.
Sweet site with info on Honda's and tons of other scooters: http://www.MotorScooterGuide.net