1984 AERO 125

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

slosquirrel
Spree
Spree

1984 AERO 125

Post by slosquirrel »

How rare are these? I only ask cuz I haven't seen one before in person and there is one for sale 4 hours (+/-) from my house. It's got 11k on the odometer with 4k on a new top end, new clutch, lighter rollers, belt, and battery. It looks to be in great condition, and the guy is asking $900... Or a trade for a good looking/running Elite 80 (dont know why though :? ), and I have a friend with an 80 that would probably get rid of it for cheap.

Im probably just day dreaming right now, and already have WAY to many scooters. But the thought of a 125 two stroke is VERY appealing, and I know that these things are only going to get more rare!
2003---Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2001---Yamaha WR 426 Supermoto (CA legal)
2002---Yamaha Vino
1999---Honda Elite S
1996---Honda Elite SR (Only 4.7 Orig. Miles)
1989---Honda Elite E (FOR SALE)
1987---Honda Elite SE
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 1984 AERO 125

Post by eliteguy50 »

they were only sold in the USA in '84. in europe they sold as the lead 125 for several years. I don't know how many years they were sold in Canada. I was told that 6800 of these where sold to the states but that is just hear say from another forum so i have no evidence. the USA model was sold in a red or a copper tone. I have one and have only personally met 2 other people that have one.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Slosquirrel ruminates:
It looks to be in great condition, and the guy is asking $900... Or a trade for a good looking/running Elite 80 (dont know why though :? )
Then speculates:
and I know that these things are only going to get more rare!
I like the Aero 125. Nice lookin' scoot. For that matter I also admire the Aero 80. Almost pulled the trigger on one myself awhile back. But I didn't. Instead I went for the very scoot the guy selling the NH125 desires. It's depicted at left.

Now WHY would I do that? And WHY would the Aero 125 seller wish to do the same? Simple: 2-smokes over 49cc are an endangered species, particularly down there Cali way. And you're right - these things will become increasingly rare - so much so, that getting parts will be slim to none. Too bad, because the Aero 125 is alleged to be a quick li''ll beast and fun to ride.

I don't want to discourage you; an NH125 with relatively few miles and a recent top end should run for a VERY long time with minimal care. So you have to figure all that into your plan. Maybe you can work a win-win where you broker a deal with your bud's CH80, the seller gets what he wants you get what you want.

Just some thoughts off the top of my pointy, empty head. :lol:

CaptDan>
DandyDan
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by DandyDan »

I love the Aero 125.....such a cool scooter. Here's a ton of info on it:
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/page1/page8/page8.html

The Aero 125 wasn't sold at all in Canada.

I can't imagine Honda sold 6800 of these in the USA in just one year. That's an awfully huge figure. That's like how many Ruckus's they are selling per year right now. I would guess more like 680 were sold.

9ft/lbs of torque at just 4500 RPM is amazing! If there ever was a scoot you wanted to set up for a wheelie this would be it :twisted:

FWIW, an Elite 125 only makes 7ft/lbs of torque and that's at 6500 RPM.

Honda's pretty good with supporting their 80's scooters.....yeah parts aren't 100% available but most of them still are and you can just patiently watch eBay for the rest. I'd snap up a running Aero 125 for $900 in a heartbeat.
Sweet site with info on Honda's and tons of other scooters: http://www.MotorScooterGuide.net
Skeeve
Noob
Noob

Post by Skeeve »

slosquirrel wrote:the guy is asking $900... Or a trade for a good looking/running Elite 80 (dont know why though :? )
Because 2 smokes are more work!

That Elite 80 will run forever w/ just fuel & regular oil/belt/tire changes. Meanwhile, the 2 smoke will use more oil, require decarbonizing the muff, regular tear downs, etc. etc. etc.

As they say in the racing game: "How fast do you want to spend?" ;)

When labor was plentiful & capital was dear, cheap & cheerful 2 strokes were everywhere. As time [& pollution laws] rolled on, 4 strokes came into their own.

But some of us old reprobates just like the rasp & snarl of a 2 smoke, & the lingering scent of our passage to remind others we were there! :D
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Man, that would be a sweet ride. I can just imagine that thing ripping down the street.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

DandyDan wrote:If there ever was a scoot you wanted to set up for a wheelie this would be it
my elite e is easier to wheelie, the aero 125 is long and relatively heavy, the nose wants to lift and would with the help of a manual clutch (or just some simple mods that we all do to every other scooter). although I have found it simpler to just burn a 180 in my garage rather than get off and turn it around (so the power is there, just not as snappy as it should be).

as far as parts go, I can still get rings and gaskets ordered new from the dealer but not cylinders or pistons (unless I order Lead 125 parts from a european website).

as for why he wants an elite 80... I have thought about trading mine for an aero 80. Only lose 10mph top end (stock for stock), get a smaller/easy to manage package, less weight, the aero 125 does NOT have a kickstart, the rear brake is a foot pedal on the floorboard instead of a hand lever (if I wanted that I would have rode one of my motorcycles), parts are kept instock (aero 80) rather than waiting for an order to come in, a lot more aftermarket support.
ground clearance is the same but the wheelbase is 35mm longer on the nh125. this means if I dont carry enough momentum when hopping the curb, I get hung up and have to dead lift the 190 pound (dry) machine up the curb (just a hassle).

I just saw two more (riding together) last week so I have now seen 4 others in person.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Skeeve wrote:
Because 2 smokes are more work!

Meanwhile, the 2 smoke will use more oil, No different than checking 4 stroke oil.

require decarbonizing the muff True, not that big of a deal though.

regular tear downs, etc. etc. etc. Please do elaborate on why you need to regularly tear down a DD engine of any design!

As they say in the racing game: "How fast do you want to spend?" ;) We aren't racing.

When labor was plentiful & capital was dear, cheap & cheerful 2 strokes were everywhere. As time [& pollution laws] rolled on, 4 strokes came into their own.

But some of us old reprobates just like the rasp & snarl of a 2 smoke, & the lingering scent of our passage to remind others we were there! :D
You seem to think oddly, you know on an 80 you have to put in timing chains, check valve specs, change oil, decarbon, deal with s*** performance(compared to a mild SA50 "dio" build, or a very lightly modded horizontal jog) and motorcycle regulations, etc. etc. etc.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Kenny_McCormic remarks:

on an 80 you have to put in timing chains, check valve specs, change oil, decarbon, deal with s*** performance

Take two spudz (please :o ). Spud A owns an '84 Spree with 4900 miles. Spud B owns an 89 E80 with 4800 miles. Here's a likely scenario:

Spud A has:

farkeled with his carb numerous times, decarbonized the engine, cleaned the muffler, changed out plugs (after choppin' 'em 49 times), pushed his scoot up tall hills with a single bound and done one top end rebuild. Total time involved: 82 hours.

Spud B has:

changed oil 4.2 times, swapped in two plugs, checked, adjusted belt and valves
Total time involved: 6 hours.

Now, it seems to me based upon that likely comparison, Spud B has spent more time in the saddle than Spud A. However the question is, which spud had the most fun?

You decide. :shock:

CaptDan>
slosquirrel
Spree
Spree

Post by slosquirrel »

Now comparing a two-stroke and a four-stroke is a good way to make a point... But why you gotta make it a spree, no offense to sprees but thats just not a fair comparison for the two-strokes! In addition, what mods have you done to require 40+ plug chops to get it running correctly?

I have yet to "rebuild" any scooter, but I grew up riding and still do ride "big bikes" (mostly dirt). The two strokes require more top ends, but my Motard requires much more maintnance (oilchanges, valvle adjusting, cam chains, cam chain tensioners, etc.) Along with that when I have had to do a full rebuild it is MUCH more in depth than the old two-smokes, and you would be suprised how often yamaha reccomends top ends being done on it as well (it is a race motor). I love my motard, and wouldn't exchange it for anything short of a street legal CR500 sumo, which isn't gonna happen anytime soon, and I would still keep my baby (I have to much heart and soul into it, not to mention $$$).

When it comes to scooters, I'm a two stroke man. They are light, nimble, easier/cheaper to build/rebuild, and flat out more fun (I have A LOT of friends with 4-strokes ranging from 50cc-250cc so i've had some comparisons). Until scooters start catching up with the dirt bike scene; where they started making fourstrokes that killed two-strokes, and had similar weights, sizes, etc.

That being said, what I like about two-strokes is pretty much obsolete in the AERO 125, it does look rather large/clumsy, and would probably feel more like an oversized ch 80 or even 150. I just thought it was a rare bike, and couldn't help but fall for such a big two-smoke!

Besides, I ended up going down south and picking up my 96 SR with 4.7 miles on it for $625 instead of going up north to get it. Now that I have 5 scooters, it's time to focus on getting rid of some rather than gathering more :lol:
2002---Yamaha Vino
1999---Honda Elite S
1987---Honda Elite SE
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The only reason a 2 stroke cant keep up with a 4 stroke of twice the displacement is the 2 has not seen development in 30 years. DI 2strokes are becoming cheaper.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

"slosquirrel" shoots back:

Now comparing a two-stroke and a four-stroke is a good way to make a point... But why you gotta make it a spree, no offense to sprees but thats just not a fair comparison for the two-strokes!

I see your point - and raise ya 2 cents. :D

Besides, I ended up going down south and picking up my 96 SR with 4.7 miles on it for $625

Yeah. I meant to congratulate you on that incredible find! That's a GREAT scoot, sir.

CaptDan>
slosquirrel
Spree
Spree

Post by slosquirrel »

Thanks Capt...

I realize the CH80 is a good bike, and relatively bullet proof. Comparing longevity/maintnance on it to my sumo isn't fair to it, and doesn't do it justice.

As for the spree, I wasn't trying to be to mean. I know it's what started it all. Not to mention I love the looks and overall character of it. I do own an 89 Elite E, which I consider the basterdized lil bro of the original Spree.

Kenny, as for two strokes not getting any R&D I can see where you are coming from. But I live in CA, and while I LOVE this state, I highly doubt the modern two-stroke revolution, packed full of R&D is gonna be making a HUGE comeback here anytime soon. That's why I'm focused on my DIO's and MINARELLI! Cuz I know they aren't here anymore (except in the overweight zuma) and probably won't be back anytime soon. Not to mention I don't have $3,000+ to spend on a new aprillia.

When it comes down to it Kenny, four-strokes are the future. There is a reason they have taken over and dominate in supercross, motocross, moto GP (not talking the 250 class here) etc... These race series could give a s*** about the EPA, maintnance, rebuilds, etc... When push comes to shove they ealized that they can get the most bang out of a four stroke.

I'm 24 and rode 80's and 125's growing up. I remember the smell of premix when I rode, or went to any big AMA event, and I loved it! Then Doug Henry won the Motocross Title in 1998 on a hand built YZ 400 (the pre-cursor to my WR Motard, the bike that I LOVE, and subsequently a similar bike to the one Henry got paralyzed on in 2007 :cry: ), I grew up hearing "ring-a-ding-ding-ding" and it was slowly replaced with "BBBBRRRRRAAAAPPPP", now there is NO ONE riding a two-stroke competitively in the pro-circuit (unless you count endurocross or the east coast 'backwoods' series). It sucks to say, but there's a reason they've been replaced.
2002---Yamaha Vino
1999---Honda Elite S
1987---Honda Elite SE
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

slosquirrel sez:

I
realize the CH80 is a good bike, and relatively bullet proof. Comparing longevity/maintnance on it to my sumo isn't fair to it, and doesn't do it justice.

As for the spree, I wasn't trying to be to mean. I know it's what started it all. Not to mention I love the looks and overall character of it. I do own an 89 Elite E, which I consider the basterdized lil bro of the original Spree.
Hey, no prob. I don't take these things personally. In fact, I learn a lot by throwing out my dumb opinions. I may be older than a lot of guys here, but I have less experience with scoots. Most of the time my butt's been in the saddle has been with heavy 'classic' 4 stroke 'big bikes.'

Before I got 'Pasquale' last year, the only other scoots I owned were an old Vespa 180 years back, and later an '81 C70 Passport (4-smoke). I gotta tellya, I LOVED the sweet stank of that ol' Piaggio 2-smoke engine, though. Finicky but some serious torque off the line. I should've hung onto that scoot. :)

Ah - the good old days. 8)

CaptDan>
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Hate to interrupt the 2 v 4 stroke argument but this relates to the topic :wink:
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1210510060.html