What is a DIO?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

What is a DIO?

Post by Lunytune »

Yeah, Yeah, here comes Lunytune with his dumb newby questions again. But I'm confused.

In some contexts, DIO appears to be a scooter in Europe or other parts unknown. But in other contexts, it appears to be a series of motors or motor design. They appear to be found primarily on Hondas but also on some of the new Chinkies flooding the market.

Please help my confusion. I bought a 2001 Elite junkbasket with AF16E, supposed to be DIO? But I can't find anything for it on eBay. Everything on eBay is for AF18E. There doesn't appear to be any compression, judging by kickstart, so will probably need at least a top end overhaul, opting for an overbore. But I can't order until I understand what I have.

Now then, if you can straighten me out on the DIO question, help me on the AF16E identification. Be thorough and clear. I've got a thick skull. :cry:
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: What is a DIO?

Post by CaptDan »

Lunytune wrote: Now then, if you can straighten me out on the DIO question, help me on the AF16E identification. Be thorough and clear. I've got a thick skull. :cry:
"Dude! Swap in a DIO!" - (running gag here at SpreElite Central. 8) )

Wheelman and others have the exact details, but here are the Cliff's Notes:

At some point around 1991, HondaSan upgraded an Elite 50 with a better, more modifiable powerplant. The scoot was marketed as the 'Dio' in Europe and Asia, but over her in the US, it was called something like the Elite S (or E, or some such thang.)

It may be that your AF16E IS a Dio motor. But I don't know for sure, because I'm over my head as it is. :)

Stay tuned. The facts will arrive shortly. :wink:

CaptDan>
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Dan, you helped me so much with my carburetor problem :D I'm going to trust you here too. :) You may not know what an AF16E is but you helped clear up the European/Asian confusion at least :roll: Also, I've read somewhere something that suggests DIO powerplants in ATV's, possibly cycles too :?

Part of my quest is that I have not been able to find kits for the AF16E. I wrote autotech355 about his kit for AF18 and he said it's not the same.
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/autotech355/

Nor have I found anything at daywot. I haven't written Patrick yet but will when time comes for purchase. I haven't completed my diagnosis yet.
Last edited by Lunytune on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

daywots stuff will be marked a"94-01 SA50" thats the af16 motor
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

Lunytune wrote: Nor have I found anything at daywot. I haven't written Patrick yet but will when time comes for purchase. I haven't completed my diagnosis yet.
Pat can take a long walk off a short bridge...

Call VTCycles, I've ordered from them and they are top notch. Even made sure multiple times to wish me "a great afternoon".

Simply tell them what you have and what you want to do, they'll help you from there.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Pat can take a long walk off a short bridge...
Call VTCycles, I've ordered from them and they are top notch. Even made sure multiple times to wish me "a great afternoon".
Simply tell them what you have and what you want to do, they'll help you from there.
Pat was very helpful on my AF05 rebuild.

The stuff VTCycles has on their website is overkill, more for racing; jug kits requiring manifold and carb upgrade too. I don't need that much, Just a top end job with a small overbore, say 4-5 MM to something like 65-70 cc. I'm very satisfied with the AF05 rebuild which was a 6mm overbore, 72 cc, using old carb and manifold. I just want a street bike with enough power to get around more than the 49cc.

Maybe if I call/write VTCycles, he might have something that is not on the website catalog.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

VTcycles website/internet service is total crap.

You have to call them if you want to talk to them. They are super friendly dude and they have waaaay more then they have listed. You have to call them.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

If you need a Polini Big Big Bore kit for your Dio, I have one that I accidently purchased instead of the SE50. It is still new, the only thing is I already installed the rings on the piston and applied Honda GN2 to the cylinder walls and piston. Also I can't find the jet that came with it but honestly it wont fit your stock carb anyways. The main jet is made for the Japanese Dio carb which is different from the US model. Everything else is there. I also have a Daytona main jet kit that I ordered from Patrick which I specifically told him was for a PB carb but did not fit my PB carb. I suspect that it is for the PA carb which is the US "Dio" carb. I ordered a US dio carb from ebay and can test fit if you are interested when it comes in. Again that main jet kit is also brand new. If I remember correctly it comes with 85,90,95,100,105,110 main jets. Pics below:
Dio Polini BBK

Daytona main jet kit is at the bottom left on this pic.

PM me if interested
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Brad, give me some time on this, but don't pass up another opportunity. I think you've seen my thoughts on that. I haven't really checked this engine out fully. And then it has been brought to my attention that the "no compression" could also be the reed valve. I want to make sure what the initial problem is before I start replacing parts.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Thats cool I was just throwing it out there. Keep us updated on your findings