Cylinder hone cost?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Cylinder hone cost?

Post by eliteguy50 »

How much should a typical light cylinder hone job cost? (done by dealer service center)

Thanks
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Cylinder hone cost?

Post by bakaracer »

you can do that yourself.you just need to buy the honing tool and a drill with some oil and good to go.if you get one, get the one with the beads not the 3 arm.Its way cheaper to do yourself and you can do other cylinders when ever you want.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

get this one called novoflex and it cost about $23-$25.fastenal has them for $24.comes in different grits and size.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

no, I found a cheaper way, have a pro do it for free. but my friend wont tell me what it would cost otherwise (he has done four cylinders for me). the service guys just say there is no work ticket so take it up with him (my friend is the owner of the dealership and he just has a service guy hone it while I wait).

I was just wondering what it would run me otherwise.
thanks for the advise though.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

I don't know the cost, but it would seem that you could call another dealer/shop and ask for a phone qoute.

Out of curiousity, why do you need so many cylinders honed?
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Fishman43 wrote:Out of curiousity, why do you need so many cylinders honed?
My garage is full and I ride a lot so I need to rering a lot. Plus, most of the scooters around here are only sold under $700 because there are problems and I rarely spend over $500 on buying something
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Our area Hondasan charges $75 an hour. How long does it take? A few minutes? That's the reason he doesn't charge you unless his mechanics are on commission, and then he's cheating the mechanic. Typically, there is a minimum time, like 1/2 hour. But the hone is a quicky job.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

i paid $10 the first cylinder...$5 for the second after id been in and out buying parts getting to know the people working there
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

SpyderMike wrote:i paid $10 the first cylinder...$5 for the second after id been in and out buying parts getting to know the people working there
I doubt they got that out of a flatrate manual. Not a bad price and well worth it. Now to find somebody that cheap on the oversize dome piston issue, to ream out the head that few required mm.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Lunytune wrote:
SpyderMike wrote:i paid $10 the first cylinder...$5 for the second after id been in and out buying parts getting to know the people working there
I doubt they got that out of a flatrate manual. Not a bad price and well worth it. Now to find somebody that cheap on the oversize dome piston issue, to ream out the head that few required mm.
no not flat rate...the service manager did it for me and my guess is the money went in his pocket :wink:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

SpyderMike wrote:
Lunytune wrote:
no not flat rate...the service manager did it for me and my guess is the money went in his pocket :wink:
I've watched these guys at Hondasan and it's obvious they aren't working on commission. Been there done that in dealership and independent shops. You don't lollygag the way Hondasan guys do, or momma don't get a new pair of shoes and baby don't get milk.
:cry:
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Lunytune wrote:they aren't working on commission.
I've known several powersports/small engine mechanics and not one that wasn't paid hourly (or by the books hours).