rims

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

rims

Post by odinxxix »

as i was looking up the price of the nobbies like videonut has on his spree, i seen the rims for that bike. and i wondered if it is possible to put the spoke wheels from the xr50 on a spree. what do you guys think?
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Wheelman-111

Re: rims

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nobody knows less about the XR50 than me, but Jon has built plenty of killer Monkeys.

That said, the rear wheel almost certainly won't fit. Scooter rims have axle splines and no bearings. I'm pretty sure the XRs have bearings and a smooth axle. You can't hook up the drive...

Front fitment might work if axle diameters and drum size are the same. I suspect the mini-crossers use a bigger drum than the Sprees' 80.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

I also doubt they would just slip on but with enough time and money, anything is possible.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

thanks for the shout-out and compliments, Wheelman.... -good to have you back, by the way :D

-ya know, i never really thought about trying a Monkey-type / XR50 front wheel on a Honda scooter, but i'm pretty sure that the brake "drum" wouldnt fit correctly - but it may be worth a try! hmmm....

later, j
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Remember that knobbies are not meant for street use and do not grip pavement nearly as well as street ties.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Remember that knobbies are not meant for street use and do not grip pavement nearly as well as street ties.
straight line and easy corners they are fine (on my elite E and several bikes) it is hard corners or wet pavement that they break traction easy.
btw, some knobbies are meant for street use, called DOT knobbie
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I could be wrong but I don't think they make DOT approved knobbies in kids dirtbike sizes. Trials (think a knobby but with the knobs closer together in a grid, google it)are what most of the old enduros came with, but good luck finding em for a 10 inch rim.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

trials tires suck in the mud, they just fill up and become slicks. look for an enduro tire for real traction on both street/mud. trials are ok for street and grass/rock but not mud. and I don't think they look as good as true knobbies. Kenny is right about finding a DOT knobbie in this size, most guys put a scooter tire on their xr50 to pass inspection then switch back to the knobbie. (my knobbies are not DOT approved but I have never had a cop question that, I guess because they would have to get down on the ground to check them:) ).
If you want to mod your forks then the front would fit easy but the rear is a completely different setup. you would also have to find a way to hook up the speedo/odometer. I would check euoropean or asian sites for scooter spoked rims for the rear.