how do you transport your scoots?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: how do you transport your scoots?

Post by eliteguy50 »

Lunytune wrote:Gees, GIJoeBob, how do you fit a scoot on that thing? Looks too short. I've got a 2x4 carrier, but I believe wheelspace, even on the NQ50 exceeds that
yes, I use an aluminum one but when strapped in it won't go anywhere.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
jguy
BMX
BMX

Post by jguy »

I put my Motobecane and her Spree in the back of our Toyota minivan. Neither one of them leaks so we just stuff some camping gear around them and off we go. If there is no camping gear on our trip, the two scoots just lean against each other, no problems in 4 or 5 trips this way.
'86 Spree
'80 Motobecane 50V
Just Ride
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

eliteguy50 wrote:
Lunytune wrote:Gees, GIJoeBob, how do you fit a scoot on that thing? Looks too short. I've got a 2x4 carrier, but I believe wheelspace, even on the NQ50 exceeds that
yes, I use an aluminum one but when strapped in it won't go anywhere.
I'll have to try it wth wife's Elite E, but I doubt the SA or SR would fit. We have a vintage Winnie (vintage means old, not classic) and frustration is once we park at a campsite, we're afoot.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Lunytune wrote:Gees, GIJoeBob, how do you fit a scoot on that thing? Looks too short. I've got a 2x4 carrier, but I believe wheelspace, even on the NQ50 exceeds that.
I measure 43 inches from contact patch to contact patch on my Spree. The platform is 60 inches wide so there is plenty of room.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Lunytune wrote:I'll have to try it wth wife's Elite E, but I doubt the SA or SR would fit. We have a vintage Winnie (vintage means old, not classic) and frustration is once we park at a campsite, we're afoot.
you could make a 2x4 rail for them to sit on if you are worried about it, but I have never had a problem...I used to do that with a truck bed extender
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

eliteguy50 wrote:
Lunytune wrote:I'll have to try it wth wife's Elite E, but I doubt the SA or SR would fit. We have a vintage Winnie (vintage means old, not classic) and frustration is once we park at a campsite, we're afoot.
you could make a 2x4 rail for them to sit on if you are worried about it, but I have never had a problem...I used to do that with a truck bed extender
Actually, I don't even know why I'm considering it. Anywhere we go, both of us want to scoot, and we've got the trailer, so don't really need the rack. Just nice to know it woulld work. I would need to build a ramp. I'm getting to old to lift these things up like that.
Atis
BMX
BMX

Post by Atis »

I use a hitch carrier for my Elite 80. It fits fine I just strap it back to the car for safety and go. I used to lift one end at a time onto the carrier but that got old fast so I built a small ramp from a piece of 1x4 lumber and two 1x2 strips for sides. I banged a plate into a hook for the edge of the ramp. I hook it onto one side to roll on and when I get to where I'm going I hook it onto the other side to roll off. Easy.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

That's my baby... in the back of my piece of s*** truck...

:roll: I think i have the same camera as wheelman :D
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Here is the scooter hauler :mrgreen:
oliveskate
Spree
Spree

Post by oliveskate »

I don't got my license, so I can only drive my scooter. So I drive it everywhere, that's how it get's around :P
JLLY.
89 SE50 A.K.A THE BEAST
Need a website made? PM me!
jesse1234
Spree
Spree

Post by jesse1234 »

I put mine into the trunk of my ford taurus

looks something like this:

doesn't close, obviously, so I just bungee it down with some blankets on top of the scoot
Purple '99 Elite SR
Red '01 Elite S
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

mousewheels insists:

Mine is plain old back of the pickup...

Same here. I roll (or hoist) the sucker into the bed. Then, using gentle 'line' (that's sailor talk for 'rope') I tie the beast(s) down while somebody sits in the saddle, compressng the suspension. Then, when the ASSistant stands up, the bike(s)' suspension releases, bearing against the line. Ahoy Matey! She be standin' proud on her own! :o

Yeah, ratchet straps are easier, butcha gotta be careful ya don't crank 'em too tight, or ---S H N A P!! Ebay time scavening for a new handlebar cover. :cry:

CaptDan>
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

CaptDan wrote:mousewheels insists:

Mine is plain old back of the pickup...

Same here. I roll (or hoist) the sucker into the bed. Then, using gentle 'line' (that's sailor talk for 'rope') I tie the beast(s) down while somebody sits in the saddle, compressng the suspension. Then, when the ASSistant stands up, the bike(s)' suspension releases, bearing against the line. Ahoy Matey! She be standin' proud on her own! :o

Yeah, ratchet straps are easier, butcha gotta be careful ya don't crank 'em too tight, or ---S H N A P!! Ebay time scavening for a new handlebar cover. :cry:

CaptDan>
if you lower your truck, it'll be easy to load your scoots :D and you ae quite right, Cap'n. ratchet straps are to be used with caution. they are the reason my headstock is bent :evil:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

CaptDan wrote:Yeah, ratchet straps are easier, butcha gotta be careful ya don't crank 'em too tight, or ---S H N A P!! Ebay time scavening for a new handlebar cover. :cry: CaptDan>
I've found the pull straps, or cam straps work pretty good. Faster than ratchets and I don't think I'm strong enough to break the bars. Key to pull straps is that after you've got it pulled down, throw a loose knot around it at the pulley. The clamps slip. The extension straps wrap around the grips and snug without cutting like a hook might.

The way mine is set up, I can load by myself and PDQ.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

CaptDan wrote:

CaptDan>
D'oh!

Tie them off to the handgrips instead.