putting a belt back on

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

kygreen229
BMX
BMX

putting a belt back on

Post by kygreen229 »

figured id post this in the general area cuz it could apply to all scoots...when i redid the final drive gears i had to take the belt off obviously..question is, is there a proper way to put it back on? ive had a post going in the tech section cuz of a bog issue and im kinda thinking about how i put the belt on and if it could possible be stuck if you will down to far in the clutch. or is this crazy thinking :oops: ?? thanks
87 Honda Elite SE50
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: putting a belt back on

Post by evilone »

That shouldn't be the problem. Did you install center spring? :lol:. The center spring will close pulleys and variator will retract as you slow down. So unless your rear pulleys or variator are binding up you should be good. Does it actually bog or just take off slower with the new gear ratio?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The contra spring will drive the belt back "uphill" once the pulleys are a-spinning.

The far more common assembly error comes from failing to provide sufficient slack in the belt when reassembling the variator. Misaligned splines mash each other to paste if you ham-fistedly apply the Dreaded Impact Gun in that condition.
You thus lose connection between the crank and the Drive Face. Yes, this would cause it to "bog". Hope that's not your problem... :nervous:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kygreen229
BMX
BMX

Post by kygreen229 »

uh o...i did use a impact gun but i turned it way down and didnt impact it alot. and i didnt change the gear ratio just stock replacement. but im going to check all that out inside there again as well as recleaning my carb and getting it to seal against mainifold..i hope thats just my bog issue :nervous:
87 Honda Elite SE50
kygreen229
BMX
BMX

Post by kygreen229 »

got it all done, this thing runs so well now!! :coolcruise: im pumped. clean carb, my issue was the belt was stuck down in between the variator and the clutch. somehow got stuck when i put it all back together. anyway no more oil leak on the rear end either thanks to some permatex and no more loud gear lash thanks to wheelman for the parts! anyway thanks for all the help guys
87 Honda Elite SE50