New to NQ50s

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

az_slynch
Spree
Spree

New to NQ50s

Post by az_slynch »

Hi! I recently purchased an '85 Spree in a fit of nostalga. I owned an '85 Aero 50 (black) years ago and figured I'd give its smaller sibling a try. I've also owned an '81 Express SR (resurrection, recently sold) and an '87 Elite 80 (still own, enjoy, over 11K on the odometer, etc).

My Spree appears to be less than healthy. So far, I've uncovered the following issues:

- Bad CDI unit. No spark until I swapped in the one from my CH80.
- Only 62lbs compression. Second ring is jammed firmly into the piston groove.
- Bent crank. I doubt that the flywheel/magneto is supposed to wobble when the crank is rotated.
- Crap tires. Rear tire incorrectly sized and rubbing on the fender.
- Front brake sticking.

The game plan:

- Replace the CDI. Stock unit preferred.
- Install Tazland's 44mm big-bore kit.
- Replace crank. Is there a difference between the '84-'85 and '86-'87 cranks?
- New Kenda K329s in 2.50-10 ordered and en-route.
- Dismantle front brake assembly and clean/re-lube actuating cam.

I've read a bit already and I'm jazzed by all the wealth of info on this forum. Thanks for being here for us newbies!
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'65 Allstate Compact (DS60)
'74 Vespa 125 Primavera (VMA2)
'81 Vespa P200E (VSX1) (2)
'83 Yamaha Riva (XC180K) (2)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
'89 Honda Elite E (SB50P)
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: New to NQ50s

Post by bradthreee »

az_slynch wrote: The game plan:

- Replace the CDI. Stock unit preferred.
- Install Tazland's 44mm big-bore kit.
- Replace crank. Is there a difference between the '84-'85 and '86-'87 cranks?
- New Kenda K329s in 2.50-10 ordered and en-route.
- Dismantle front brake assembly and clean/re-lube actuating cam.

I've read a bit already and I'm jazzed by all the wealth of info on this forum. Thanks for being here for us newbies!
Welcome to the forum :hi:

Looks like you have already done an extensive amount of research before diggin in to the scooter and thats a good start!

As for the CDI, I have found that the earlier year Sprees seem to have a bigger CDI than the later years. I'm not sure if they interchange, but to be on the safe side I would stick to your specific year. Unless its an 86-87 it seems that many other Hondas share the same CDI.

Tazlands kit seems to be a good choice, but be prepared to have to tinker with the carb and airbox as it isnt a true bolt on kit. Quality used is always a good choice :thumbwink:

As for the cranks, I've read that they are year specific. An easy option would be to buy a bare motor with crank already in it to take out the guess work.

I would have waited to order the tires as a slightly larger 2.75-10 tire would have helped your top speed with the anticipated big bore kit. Either way you'll be fine as he also came out with a taller gear ratio recently for the Spree.

Good luck with your project and any questions dont hesitate to ask :rock:

Also take a look @ my sig if you need anything as I have it all :naughty:
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Post by az_slynch »

bradthreee wrote:
Welcome to the forum :hi:
Thanks for the welcome. Going by your sig, I have a feeling we might be doing some business. :D
bradthreee wrote:
As for the CDI, I have found that the earlier year Sprees seem to have a bigger CDI than the later years. I'm not sure if they interchange, but to be on the safe side I would stick to your specific year. Unless its an 86-87 it seems that many other Hondas share the same CDI.
Good info. I found that my '87 NH80's CDI was compatable. I believe the interchangability in Hondas is defined by the connector type, but I could be incorrect on that. One idea that I've considered in getting one of those CDI units that retard timing at a set RPM and using one of those "stepped" Woodruff keys to artifically advance timing at the bottom end. The idea is to run the timing slightly advanced until the magic RPM and then electronically retard it. I'm sure it'll work fine on the CH80, but I'm uncertain if the two-stroke will tolerate that.
bradthreee wrote:
Tazlands kit seems to be a good choice, but be prepared to have to tinker with the carb and airbox as it isnt a true bolt on kit. Quality used is always a good choice :thumbwink:
Not too worried there. The airbox on my '81 NX50M (Express SR) was disintegrated. I brewed up a solution by using the cone-style crankcase breather from Autozone (think I saw that trick here too) and downjetted from a #78 to a #75 to make the ratios right. I still have extra jetting, but I'll have to see if the jets from an AF04E will work in the Spree's carb.
bradthreee wrote:
As for the cranks, I've read that they are year specific. An easy option would be to buy a bare motor with crank already in it to take out the guess work.
Shall we talk quality used, then? :lol:
bradthreee wrote:
I would have waited to order the tires as a slightly larger 2.75-10 tire would have helped your top speed with the anticipated big bore kit. Either way you'll be fine as he also came out with a taller gear ratio recently for the Spree.
Funny bit is, the bike had a 2.75-10 on the rear and it was rubbing vigorously against the fender/airbox. I tried adjusting things around some and stopped short of reshaping things with a heat gun. I'll probably revisit this if I wind up working out an alternative filtering solution for the big bore.
Last edited by az_slynch on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I think you are correct on the CDI connector interchangability. I've never tried others but am assuming that they are because I have one of those "race CDI's" on my Spree that was said to be for a Dio. I've tried the SE50 CDI as well and it was a perfect match to my 87 Spree.

PM me with whatever you need either it be advice or parts.

Since you are new, watch out for that old geezer bear :naughty:

O and forgot to mention that the airbox would need to be removed to run the bigger tire, but the pod filter would take care of that :wink:
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Post by az_slynch »

Thanks for the warning. :thumbwink:

I hope "new to forum" isn't correlated directly with "instant moh-run". The Spree may be new to me, but I first got my mitts dirty on a '64 Vespa 150 (VBB2) over twenty years ago. I'd like think I've learned a thing or two since then...
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

:hi:

Welcome to the forum dude... :coolcruise:

Yep, B3 has the used - parts on lockdown. -i'll be the first one to give him a :2thumbs:

Here's a few hints on your sticking / frozen up brake cam, polish it up with a steel wire-wheel on a bench grinder or a Dremel. -i have seen some that have so much corrosion on them a simple "cleaning" wont do much good. Avoid sandpaper... and if you have to tap it out, spray it w' WD40 first and be sure to not damage those splines. A brass hammer from Harbor Freight always comes in handy. Once it's shiny grease it up and you will be good to go.

There's a TON of good people here; all who will be more than willing to answer any questions ya got. :smile:

later, jon
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
Wheelman-111

Forum Props

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'll second Jon/ZR50's vouching for Brad The Cubed. Stand-up kind of guy is he.
Bad CDI unit. No spark until I swapped in the one from my CH80.
- Only 62lbs compression. Second ring is jammed firmly into the piston groove.
- Bent crank. I doubt that the flywheel/magneto is supposed to wobble when the crank is rotated.
- Crap tires. Rear tire incorrectly sized and rubbing on the fender.
- Front brake sticking.
There is the possibility that that's only an incorrectly-installed flywheel. There's a woodruff key in there that costs 2 bucks. If you've got pullers, you may be able to fix your "crank" problem without splitting the cases.

If it turns out to be the crank, Spree blocks are fairly cheap from my observations.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

yes sir.... good hypothesis Wheelman...

-those woodruff keys can get worn or chipped if installed incorrectly, especially if the person 'wrenching on it does not get the proper torque on the flywheel nut. :?

-Sprees with alot of miles tend to need crank seals a little sooner than the other Honda scooters. (usually the seal on the transmission side) Be sure to put a new set of crank seals in just as "maintenence" for your build. -A leaky / brittle crank seal will cause headaches later. -as well, you do not have to split the cases to install new seals. A careful hand and a dental style pick will pull an old seal out easily. 8)

later, j
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Post by az_slynch »

z50r-blank wrote::hi:

Welcome to the forum dude... :coolcruise:
Thank you for the welcome.

I'll be sure to thoroughly clean the brake cams once I get into the wheels. I might even replace the cables if they're sticking at all. Flakey brakes are not high on my favorites list. :thumbwink:
z50r-blank wrote: Sprees with alot of miles tend to need crank seals a little sooner than the other Honda scooters. (usually the seal on the transmission side) Be sure to put a new set of crank seals in just as "maintenence" for your build. -A leaky / brittle crank seal will cause headaches later. -as well, you do not have to split the cases to install new seals. A careful hand and a dental style pick will pull an old seal out easily.
I just went through that on my '81 P200E. She has 10,500 on the original engine and the crankcase seals just went crunchy. The Spree only has 5K on it, but they look like they were hard miles to me. I'll hit the Honda dealer this week for seals and gaskets.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Re: Forum Props

Post by az_slynch »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:
There is the possibility that that's only an incorrectly-installed flywheel. There's a woodruff key in there that costs 2 bucks. If you've got pullers, you may be able to fix your "crank" problem without splitting the cases.
Hi! You may have hit the nail on the head there. I jury-rigged a poor man's dial indicator last night using some copper wire twisted into an indicator needle and fixed it to the block using one of the muffler bolts. I checked the spacing between the needle and the flywheel with a feeler gauge at intervals to see how "off" it was. I also checked against the visible end of the crank, which appeared to track true. I'll pull the flywheel tonight and see what the straight dope is.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The installation tools in the Service Manual really make this stuff a LOT easier. ChevyGuyJay had a video of his quick-'n-dirty flywheel removal method in Technical Help at one time - maybe February? - dedicated to Wheelman. :smile: Installation is trickier without the assembly doo-hickey that threads onto the right end of the crank. Snug it is. Like Yoda I speak. It's very hard to get it seated all the way without risk to the crank. I suspect the Previous Owner surmised that.

Twice now I've brought Pizza/Egg McCoronaries to my Dealer's Service Department. For $20 I can borrow anything I want overnight. Honda-san knows my name. Besides being nice guys and fun to talk to, it was a wise investment. :wink:
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

I cant back Wheelman up enough on the right tool for the job. I've butchered some horrendously expensive bits of motorcycle trying the old "ah, it'll be all right using this oversized screwdriver and prying it off". Find a mate at a dealership, and you're away and laughing.
I've got to pull my spree engine apart and replace the left hand side as I found out the hard way that standard spree shocks do NOT save your engine from snapping when you thrash it off road(maybe another case of right tool for the job :| )

Best of luck getting it all running sweet
Not one day that we are here on this earth is promised to us, so treat every day as if it is your last, and every breath as if it were the same

198? Honda Spree NQ50M (got parts of two different bike mixed up in there!)
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Post by az_slynch »

Well, I pulled the flywheel last night. I happened to have the proper puller. Amusingly, the puller that I'd bought for removing Bosch moped flywheels (that didn't fit the moped, of course) fit properly for the Spree, so 1up on the tools! And that sums up the good news.

Per Monica Lewinsky's description, the crank is bent.

Between the build-up in the muffler, exhaust port and piston, there's enough coke accumulated to make Columbian drug lords envious. The build-up inside the piston alone fills the void between the crown and the piston pin. The exhaust port was over 35% sealed with carbon build-up. This is one of the nastiest motors I've opened in a while; the words "wrong oil" come to mind.

The crowning glory is the crack in the flywheel half of the crankcase. It's only a hairline fracture, but it runs from the crank seal seat down toward the bottom of the case.

I guess the question at this point is, do I acquire another NQ/05 bottom end or go for a variated upgrade? If I go with the former option, I assume '86 is the year to have based on factory gear ratios (a kicker would be nice too)?

Brad^3, you have PM.

Storm, thank you for the advice and well-wishes.
Last edited by az_slynch on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Glad to know you've solved the mystery, even if it's bad news. BeeThreee can fix you up I bet. SE/05 is another good option, easier to score as the Forum Collective keeps close tabs on all the 16s that pop up. You have to be quick.

BTW:
:worship:
Per Monica Lewinsky's description, the crank is bent.
:worship: Good one!
Wheelman-111
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

pm replied :love: