Who wears a helmet and who doesn't?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Do you wear a helmet or not?

I do because I want to.
46%
I do because I have to.
13%
I don't
15%
sometimes I do
26%

Total votes: 39

edgargonz
BMX
BMX

Re: Who wears a helmet and who doesn't?

Post by edgargonz »

I always wear a Full face and gloves, like someone posted road rash sucks. No law requiring it but......better safe than sorry, and I don't trust many drivers when I'm on my scoot....then even I do some dumb ***t so just in case. And yeah it is always those short trips that will *^%$k you up. :coolcruise:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

A 3/4 helmet with face shield in on my Christmas wish list, especially the shield. Wind is hard on my eyes.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

I have yet to wear a helmet on my scoot. Although, I wouldn't be caught dead without my clear safety glasses. Works excellent for keeping the bugs and wind out of the eyes.

99% of my riding is in town, and 60mph country runs are very few and far between. :thumbwink:
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Arai full-face all the way. -i *try* to always wear my helmet even if it is just a 2 minute trip to the store or a test-run, b/c i make Angie always wear her helmet. I have told her not to even sit on her Elite unless she has her helmet on. :coolcruise: Even at 15 mph your head can get really hurt...

good topic- jc
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
jguy
BMX
BMX

Post by jguy »

I've been helping to fix broken bones all my life. My comment here is we really aren't that good at fixing head injuries. Head injuries are sort of permanent.

There are some who say helmets can make injuries worse. I don't know. I always wear a half helmet.
'86 Spree
'80 Motobecane 50V
Just Ride
Wheelman-111

The Hurt Study

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth JGuy:
There are some who say helmets can make injuries worse.
There are also those who say Britney Spears is a guy. That don't make them right. I suspect that things like that are said by people who don't want to wear helmets, and so make stuff up to justify their position. There are plenty of reasons not to want to wear a helmet, but decreased safety isn't one of them.

The Hurt study found no evidence - None - that helmets increase any kind of injury, including neck injury. GOogle it.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

To say it would be safer to not wear a helmet by anyone seems foolish to me as well.

You would have to be in denial to accept that to be true.
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: The Hurt Study

Post by Lunytune »

Wheelman-111 wrote:There are also those who say Britney Spears is a guy. That don't make them right. I suspect that things like that are said by people who don't want to wear helmets, and so make stuff up to justify their position. There are plenty of reasons not to want to wear a helmet, but decreased safety isn't one of them.
If Britney is a guy, somebody did a great job of nip/tuck and waxing.

Guy, spoken like a true medical pro. My wife would agree. Interestingly, she wears a bike helmet, which I say is not much. I don't always wear a helmet with the 50's but I don't make any excuses, either. An accident at thirty may not be as serious as an accident at 60, but can still be fatal. At either speed, the brain is still encased with an eggshell.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

Always have my half shell and goggles on no matter what. Not wantin to risk anything. It only takes a few seconds to put one on and that few seconds could end up saving your life.
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

I took a spill once at 40 MPH on my old elite. If it wasn't for my helmet at the time i would have been f'd. At the time i was wearing a simple Protec Skateboarding helmet which saved my *. Now i ride with a full face dot3 helmet. I love it.
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150