Cherry crankwalk of death! (Crank'x'plode inside)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Cherry crankwalk of death! (Crank'x'plode inside)

Post by Lunytune »

burnt_toast wrote:And for those wondering, this was a Ruima 44.4 ministroker
AWE GEESH... Why do you bring me such bad news. I just installed a Ruima 44.1mm ministroker with a 45mm bbk on my '99 AF16. But as you say, "crap happens" to anything. My rebuild was forced by a bad rod journal on stocker ("crap happens" even to stockers). I don't plan on any WOT and in fact learned a lesson on WOT trying to keep up with my wife on her '89 with a Polini, when the rod journal went South.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Oh well, i had a stock crank break on me last season.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Lunytune wrote:
burnt_toast wrote:And for those wondering, this was a Ruima 44.4 ministroker
AWE GEESH... Why do you bring me such bad news. I just installed a Ruima 44.1mm ministroker with a 45mm bbk on my '99 AF16. But as you say, "crap happens" to anything. My rebuild was forced by a bad rod journal on stocker ("crap happens" even to stockers). I don't plan on any WOT and in fact learned a lesson on WOT trying to keep up with my wife on her '89 with a Polini, when the rod journal went South.
Not bad news at all, this crank took LOTS of abuse from me as I truly pushed the entire setup to its potential, at times:
65-70+mph WOT highway rides 5-10mi stretches, a plenty
12-13k rpm for a few 1000mi when tuning and playing with light weights
High compression and aggressively tight spring setup on AF16 trans
50-100 mile scooter group roadtrips
35 mile roundtrips to school

All in all I was always impressed at Ruima quality and this crank performed pretty dang amazing for the time she was running :woot:

I'm pretty certain if you are more tame with the flick of the wrist, and ride shorter distances, this crank will last you a long time.
projects galore :nerd:
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I have seen that many times. That happens to stock engines just as easy. The first time I saw that my jaw hit the floor. I was like how could a crank that thick just break?????? That is why I like the Af18 dio engine. It has a stronger but skinnier crankshaft. I have one on my elite sr. If you guys need pics i would be more than happy to post a pic of the dio AF18 engine. The AF24 dio was the first dio that uses the engine we are familiar with in the USA. Now AF16 and AF24 are the start of the vin not engine type.

Taz
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Just to throw it out there, I noticed something about a 100mi prior to this crank failure:

On the pulley side, when giving it some throttle to just rev up, the engine would make a "jet engine" style woosh sound upon settling back to idle, I think it was a sign of the crank going out.
projects galore :nerd: