best oil made

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

xxjareebxx
Goped
Goped

Re: best oil made

Post by xxjareebxx »

Bear45-70 wrote:
xxjareebxx wrote:ski doos xps full syn.
NO! This stuff is a TCW rated oil and is meant for Two Cycle Water cooled engines and is not designed for Air Cooled engines. Read the frickin' label!
well its some kind of ski doo oil my dad knows he uses it in this 2 stokes cuz mercury outboards did tests with it and different oils and they have never had a failure from ski doos oil, i cant remember the exact name tho. all the go fast sled racers around WI use it.
1990 honda elite soon to be dio swap
looking for a dio engine anyone have one for sale?
selling a 1990 honda elite engine runs great shoot me an offer.
xxjareebxx
Goped
Goped

Post by xxjareebxx »

Bear45-70 wrote:
kylebo wrote:NO! This stuff is a TCW rated oil and is meant for Two Cycle Water cooled engines.

The stuff Im talking about is not TCW3 at all It is API and Is also recommended in liquid cooled not water cooled I would never run TCW3 anything unless in a boat or jetski. Take a jetski engine out and make a closed loop cooling system now you need a air cooled oil.

I burn so much two stroke gas I file off road tax credits. 200 gallons A year in two stroke engines all of them running 50 and 32:1 penzoil. I strongly believe if your looking for a great cheep oil this is the stuff, works in oil injection, pre mix, air, and liquid cooled engines. Not water cooled
You said it not me;
yeah penzoil suck even there motor oil its like water.
1990 honda elite soon to be dio swap
looking for a dio engine anyone have one for sale?
selling a 1990 honda elite engine runs great shoot me an offer.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Bear45-70 wrote:NEVER run oil company oil (Shell, Penzoil, etc). Their reputation stinks when it comes to quality produces. The best oils to run are from major engine manufactures (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamahahahah, etc. Why? they build engines and will guarantee them using their oil, so you know it is gonna work. The only others to trust are long time known hi-performance oil producers who have been around awhile. Klontz, Royal Purple, etc. I am not a fan of Amsoil in two strokes. I had a racing bubby who had their sponsorship and went thru $40,000 in engines before figuring out for racing you have to run the stuff at 32 to 1 or you blow up engines at their recommended ratios.
How long ago was this bubby using amsoil? Their new bottles list 2 sets of ratios, one for recreation and one for racing.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

eliteguy50 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:NEVER run oil company oil (Shell, Penzoil, etc). Their reputation stinks when it comes to quality produces. The best oils to run are from major engine manufactures (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamahahahah, etc. Why? they build engines and will guarantee them using their oil, so you know it is gonna work. The only others to trust are long time known hi-performance oil producers who have been around awhile. Klontz, Royal Purple, etc. I am not a fan of Amsoil in two strokes. I had a racing bubby who had their sponsorship and went thru $40,000 in engines before figuring out for racing you have to run the stuff at 32 to 1 or you blow up engines at their recommended ratios.
How long ago was this bubby using amsoil? Their new bottles list 2 sets of ratios, one for recreation and one for racing.
20-25 years ago and that is probably why they changed their recommendations.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
eliteguy50 wrote:
20-25 years ago and that is probably why they changed their recommendations.
Oh, they must have come a long way then. I've run it in everything from professional string trimmers to MX bikes to high performance scooters and never had any problems.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

Bear45-70 wrote:
xxjareebxx wrote:ski doos xps full syn.
NO! This stuff is a TCW rated oil and is meant for Two Cycle Water cooled engines and is not designed for Air Cooled engines. Read the frickin' label!
Well, all TCW3 being on the bottle means is that it meets or exceeds the standards of TCW3. This DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT WON'T WORK. There is no other standard set in america to otherwise rate 2 stroke oil.
There are no TCA standards, and your assertion that TCW3 oil AUTOMATICALLY WILL NOT WORK is wrong. Meets or exceeds.

The problem is that we need higher testing standard in america for two stroke oil.

The cheap, non-synthetic TCW is definatly a bad choice, but the ability of an oil to pass testing and meet the requirements of needed to endorse a TCW rating does not mean that it cannot handle the additional heat of an air-cooled engine.

I stand behind my Royal Purple TCW3 full synthetic, and have had 5000 miles of hard riding with no problems.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Not so! TCW oil is mean to be used in engines that operate around 140┬░. Air cooled engine run at least 100┬░ hotter than that.

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

You're not looking at this logically.

A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square.

I'm not going to argue this anymore, simply because I'm right. A good synthetic oil can accommodate the range of temperatures needed to work for a watercooled OR aircooled bike.

If you look on some bottles, you will also find JASO (Japan) or ISO (Europe) specs. It is possible for an oil to pass the testing for more than one certification. Unfortunately, the United States has no other standard for a two stroke oil to pass. Not all companies available in the U.S. have been certified for the more rigorous foreign specifications, despite their ability to do so.

The U.S. needs better lubricity testing standards for two stroke oils.

Alot of the TCW requirement is based around polluion requirements, so boats don't leave oil slicks.
Ol' Red
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

http://www.nmma.org/certification/certi ... tc-w3.aspx

What you are saying is because it passes one set of tests, it cannot pass another set of tests. This is illogical.
Ol' Red
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

ISO is not just Europe. 3 of the companies I have worked for in my life have been ISO certified and all three companies had USA corp. headquarters. For those who are reading this thread and do not know what ISO is, ISO stands for International Organization for Standardization.
:b2t:
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

eliteguy50 wrote:ISO is not just Europe. 3 of the companies I have worked for in my life have been ISO certified and all three companies had USA corp. headquarters. For those who are reading this thread and do not know what ISO is, ISO stands for International Organization for Standardization.
:b2t:
Ahh, too true. I ment that Europian requirements for roadgoing 2strokes are judged off the ISO rating system, the 'States could care less what you use in anything other than a boat. The Japs have their own system. ISO-L-EGD and JASO FD are the highest standard to pass for two stroke oils. As such it will also pass all the lesser tests. TCW ratings only apply to marine engines, and is not an indicator that the product does not exceed the specs. EPA stuff, and very prominently displayed on the bottle, as most Americans only use 2 strokes for boats or lawncare implements.
Ol' Red
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Spreetard wrote:http://www.nmma.org/certification/certi ... tc-w3.aspx

What you are saying is because it passes one set of tests, it cannot pass another set of tests. This is illogical.
I agree, your statement is illogical. I had over 50 hours of schooling on TCW oils over the years and none of the manufactures recommend their TCW oils for air cooled engines. But you believe whatever you want, I know you are wrong.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Spreetard wrote:http://www.nmma.org/certification/certi ... tc-w3.aspx

I agree, your statement is illogical. I had over 50 hours of schooling on TCW oils over the years and none of the manufactures recommend their TCW oils for air cooled engines. But you believe whatever you want, I know you are wrong.
Cute with the wordplay. My logic is sound. I like you bear, but you are not going to win this one. You're right, you got schooled. (see, i can do wordplay too :geekdance: )

*sigh* Really? Here's a pdf for you. http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/2cycle-ps.pdf
No company?

In case your TRS-80 can't open a pdf file...
"Royal Purple 2-Cycle TCW III is recommended for use in both pre-mixed and oil injected
gasoline two-cycle engines in outboard motors,
motorcycles, jet skis, chain saws, etc. For cold
weather oil injected applications, Royal Purple
recommends its Snow 2-C.
Royal Purple 2-Cycle TCW III is a high
performance engine oil that improves performance and reduces wear in both standard and
high performance two-cycle gasoline engines.
2-Cycle TCW III has synthetic solvency that
keeps spark plugs and exhaust ports clean
for maximum engine efficiency. This engine
cleanliness combined with the low coefficient
of friction of Royal Purple 2-Cycle TCW III
promotes increased horsepower and engine
speed. Engines operate with greater combustion efficiency and go longer between overhauls when lubricated with 2-Cycle TCW III."

:lol:Oh the times, they are a-changin'! :? :lol:
This company says they recomend Royal Purple TCW3 in all two strokes.

An oil can pass ISO AND TCW standards concurrently. Or just one.

A SQUARE IS A RECTANGLE.
A RECTANGLE IS NOT A SQUARE.
Ol' Red
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Uhh, my Commodore 64 didn't show where the RP people specified that their oil is specifically recommended for Air-coolage.
No one can dispute good results. At the same time it would intuitively seem that an oil that's ideal for Water-cooled engines might not be so good for the wider-range of temps encountered in Air cooled mills.
The "w" in TCW would bother me.

Me? I have used GN-2, HP-2 and my current favorite Motul 800 off-road synthetic.
So far so good.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

The pdf i just linked to from Royal Purple wrote:two-cycle engines in outboard motors,
motorcycles, jet skis, chain saws, etc.
Watercooled chainsaws and motorcycles? We're talking about Two Strokes.

Have another pdf.

http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Multi ... engine.pdf
The pdf i just linked to from Penzoil wrote:"PENNZOIL® PREMIUM OUTBOARD AND MULTI-PURPOSE TWO-CYCLE OIL may also be used in otherapplications calling for TC-W®, TC-WII® or TC-W3® approved oils. PENNZOIL® PREMIUM OUTBOARD ANDMULTI-PURPOSE TWO-CYCLE OIL exceeds the API TC Service Classification requirements. This means PENNZOIL® PREMIUM OUTBOARD AND MULTI-PURPOSE TWO-CYCLE OIL is suitable for use in air-cooled, two-cycle utility engines, such as those found on string trimmers, chain saws, lawn mowers, motorcycles, mopeds, and golf carts."
Does this one count? I've found more :mrgreen:

One oil could carry a TCW3 (which meets or exeeds TCWII and TCW) , API-TC, ISO-L-EGD... Whatever tests they pay to submit it to for endorsement that the oil passes. Being one does not mean it is also another.
Last edited by Spreetard on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ol' Red
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!