Noob needs identification

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Gruvin wrote:Well it will start with starting fluid, but it wont idle. and as soon as i turn the throttle , it shuts off.

Suggestions?

bummer..
if mines been sitting, it takes about 3 times with the starter fluid. Even if it wont idle, just barely pull the throttle and see if you can get the engine going. Then rev and see if it works. If it doesnt, and just cuts off, then fuel isnt getting to the carb/engine. Try that, and see what happens.
projects galore :nerd:
Gruvin
Goped
Goped

Post by Gruvin »

If i spray a shot of starter fluid in the carb, it will turn over and run for a few seconds and shut off. then I cant get it re-started without the fluid.

I know gas is going to the carb, I checked the vaccum, and it worked..
drained the carb, so i know gas is going to it.

My compression is a little weak, it wouldnt push my finger off, but it would kinda pop a little. The inside of the cylinder is scuffed, so my rings should be ok.

My idler is kinda funky looking.. all that comes out when i take it out is a small spring, like one in a mechanical pencil, and a pin.. could it be messed up?

I have tried everything i can possibly think of to try and get this started..
I wish it would run, it would be a cherry 86 special edition.. not a single thing cosmetically wrong with it.. just wish it would run.......
Last edited by Gruvin on Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

1) Starter fluid is meant for cold weather, not starting dead engines. Too much will burn the piston.

2) If it's been in storage you need to clean the carb, tank, and oiling system. Go to Tech Docs for more info on what you need to do. You also need to check out your tank vacuum shutoff for operation. D/L the manual.

3) Sounds like your carb idle jet is plugged. See #2.

4) What idler? The Spree doesn't have one.

5) Once/if you get it running, check the compression with a real gauge. Borrow or "free rent" one from the auto parts store.

Very few stored bikes will run if you just dump gas in them and try to fire them up.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

if u want to try to start it, and plan on using a lot of starting fluid, noise is absolutely right. it will burn the piston. i would start it on carb cleaner if i was you.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

i dont think u have enough compression... imo
Gruvin
Goped
Goped

Post by Gruvin »

Well i cleaned the carb, including the fuel jet.
My fuel tank, and oil system are fine.
My bystarter is kinda jacked.. just a small pin and small spring. See pic.
it still wont start.

1985 Spree Nq50 Special Edition
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Pic isn't clear, but it looks like your bystarter has fallen apart (the pin and spring should have come out attached to the rest.)

If you can't reassemble it, contact drichardson@core.com for parts, or check Ebay.
Gruvin
Goped
Goped

Post by Gruvin »

I am really new to this, but would the bystarter have an affect on the thing turning over and staying started?
I am going to get a compression tester today, and hopefully find out that I dont have good compression so i can just go ahead and do a ring job. can anyone tell me how tough this is going to be to replace the rings?
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

In reguards to the ring job, it is not difficulf at all, just make sure you don't run the Spree wide open for the first 1 - 2 tanks of gas. Also, make sure you lube the * out of the cylinder with 2 stroke oil before you put it all back together. Atleast it wasn't hard for me to do it. Good luck with your compression test.
I try to fix things with a hammer and wrench!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

BluPhire wrote:In reguards to the ring job, it is not difficulf at all, just make sure you don't run the Spree wide open for the first 1 - 2 tanks of gas. Also, make sure you lube the * out of the cylinder with 2 stroke oil before you put it all back together. Atleast it wasn't hard for me to do it. Good luck with your compression test.
not always. i've had a set break on me even as i was using a lot of lube. just have to be careful and patient. also if if youre gonna change the rings, go ahead and maybe change the piston too. might be a good idea.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

To do it right, you need a bore gauge, so that you know what size rings to use.

Also, on 2-strokes, after honing, you need to knock down the newly-sharp edges of the ports with 600 - 1000 grit sandpaper on the horizontal portions. Otherwise the cylinder will eat your new rings up.

Get thee to the library and read up on swapping rings on small engines. Not too hard but there's a lot of little details, and pics that will help.
Gruvin
Goped
Goped

Post by Gruvin »

SHE STARTS!!! and idles.. but here is the new problem..
the throttle.
When the spree is on the stand, I can give it gas and it will wind up just fine..
Then i put it on the ground and sit on it.
if i just touch the throttle, it will give gass, but if i turn the throttle half open, the thing wont accelerate, at all. Any ideas?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

do u have an air cleaner? you need an air cleaner for it to work believe it or not. check that the carb screw is at the proper setting for that year. in tech documents.
Gruvin
Goped
Goped

Post by Gruvin »

I do not have an air filter yet.. I have 2 on order from service honda.
Could that really cause it to bog out like that?

Check out the pic of the 86 SE.. I have the body panels.. just cleaning them up. Will post more once i get her all together.

http://img60.exs.cx/img60/4403/dscf00039ur.jpg
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

Very nice!!!!!!!! I wish I could get mine to look like that, only I have an '86 original. Some boner who had it before me spray painted it black, or they used a heat gun to remove the pink pinstripes. Either way, they took away the originality. So to make it look better I covered it with stickers, cool ones, some of which are stickers of my uncle's bands under his record lables. Check out my Spree and my custom motorbicycle @ www.freewebs.com/bluphire .
I try to fix things with a hammer and wrench!