Golden Gyro Project

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Golden Gyro Project

Post by vintagegarage »

Do the continuity resistance check on both the primary and secondary windings on the spark coil as outlined in the electrical section in the workshop manual. It is very easy to do and you don't have to take much apart to do it. I think if the secondary is blown open and has no continuity, you can still appear to have great spark at the sparkplug, but the CDI get's the timing all messed up when the secondary is bad. Not sure about this, but since it is so easy to do and one of the things highlighted in the manual, it is worth a try.

Motormike is correct. Unfortunately, the number is for a hot and warmed up engine, which is impossible to do in your case.. My guess is that you have plenty of compression and that is not your problem.

Sorry to offer guesses instead of facts, but that is about all I have, as I am a rookie...

Please let me know what you find for the resistance of your two coil windings.
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

You think being at 90# is a problem?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I'm editing my previous post here, as now I am not sure how much compression is really needed to start and run. I tested my Spree cold and it is 120 PSI, and my Aero is just over 112 cold..
Last edited by vintagegarage on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Luckyrabbit7,
Well, I spent a few minutes this morning testing coils and decided that I am full of it.. please ignore my suggestion to check the continuity of the coil. I'm not sure why nobody told me I was full of it, I guess the rest of the people on this forum are too polite.. It seems clear to me now that if the coil produces good spark at the plug, there is nothing wrong with it. One of my pet peeves is when people guess at a solution and I did it myself.. sorry about that. I'll let someone else comment on the compression.. maybe that is your problem. Hopefully someone who knows will comment on it, or maybe that is what motormike was saying.. you really do need 114 at a minimum? I'm going to keep quiet now, but please let us know when you get the golden gyro running..
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

Thanks vintagegarage for your help and interest. I won't have a chance to mess with it until my days off on friday and Saturday. But appreciate your input
motormike

Post by motormike »

...pm has been sent... :urban:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

Got another gyro problem. Bought a gyro on ebay for parts. what i really wanted on it was the carb cover the black fenders for the golden gyro. Turns out the parts bike isn't a parts bike after all. The parking brake was locked up so the rear wheels wouldn't turn. It wouldn't start. I found out that the air box intake holes where sealed shut with wasp mud. The muffler was also sealed shut. i cleaned out the airbox and swapped out the mufffler. It starts and i drove it around for about 10 seconds then it stalled out, like it ran out of gas. I was going to change the fuel filter, but didn't see one. Did they come stock with fuel filters or do they just have the screen in the shutoff valve?
my problem is that the ebay bike is another project and the golden gyro isn't any closer to being finished. heres the one i just got on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231629396584?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1