Nq50 questions

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

jerz40
Elite
Elite

Re: Nq50 questions

Post by jerz40 »

patthesoundguy wrote:Don't buy one of the knock off spree carbs. As far as I know, no one has been able to make one work. The main issue to spree carbs are the pilot jet orifice in th go at bowl and possibly bad bystarter. Occasionally you might have to pop the emulsion tube out and clear it but they don't tend to get gummed up. If staying stock and have a bum carb buy used. If going bbk go polini

Why what is wrong with the knock-off spree carbs? I've never heard of anyone not making them work.
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

Ok thanks for the help guys, also does the spree have any sort of limiter or is it governed in any way?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

There are no limiters besides its motor/tranny design. It was made to go 25-30mph and it does that very well for thousands of care-free miles. You can squeeze 5mph here and there with add-ons and add some torque with a bigger bore but at the end of the day, its a Spree. Throw a few hundred dollars at it and you can get to 40mph on a good day but that's basically its mechanical limit for speed because of its single-speed transmission. I had my Spree up to 45mph going down a huge steep hill once and it was revving so high Im surprised it didn't explode.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

Ok yeah that makes sense, have you done a big bore kit on any sprees?
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

You want more speed swap in a better motor will be better off in the long run. Why waste time and money on a motor that will be/is limited. the spree motor well taken care of will run forever @30/35 mph. Upgrade to a better motor more speed same reliability and upgrades are more plentiful. my 87 spree got me addicted and it ran 30-35 all day long And it was great for what it was.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

What motor would be best for performance and reliability to cost ratio?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Af16/af18 some people say the af05e or the variated version of the spree motor and I have to say the af16 is not much harder but offers so many more part choices.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

Would there be need for custom fab to put that motor in or just bolt right up?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

All the variated motors are about the same..af05, 16, 18, etc etc...but the kicker is what available parts are out there. I have a variated AF05 and sometimes its a PITA to find stuff for....Id go with the later options.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

You need to cut 2 pieces and drill a hole for the shock relocate and thats it besides wire splicing the motor to the harness. The one cut is on the af16 motor mount and the other is to trim up the stock spree mount on the frame. You also loose your kick stand but oh well.

http://m.imgur.com/5pecmzo

I added some welding, not really needed.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Here ya go Ethan, this will show you what you can expect doing all you can with the stock engine. I'm still tweaking mine, probably end up going with a Polini carb to address some pilot jet issues and wide open throttle stability issues. This was done using the BBK, higher gears, and the MLM people's pipe, which is probably about the best commercially available aftermarket pipe your gonna find. You'll see it hit 40 and the Spree has just a bit more to squeeze out, but all in all, it's being taken about to it's limits and I don't think one should realistically expect much better, and if they could get much better, I wouldn't expect the engine to last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IzNlbWuawI

It was an awesome run in many ways, but honestly, an engine swap would suit you much better if you want to make it last.
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

Ok awesome thank you for the information, anywhere you would suggest picking one up?
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

MrJumps wrote:Af16/af18 some people say the af05e or the variated version of the spree motor and I have to say the af16 is not much harder but offers so many more part choices.
I'm sill new to some things, and I thought I heard before of a variated AF05E motor, where can I find one of these at? For some reason, I keep thinking they were only available in like a Honda Eve, or Smile. I'm not sure, but I'd like to find out more on this one.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Meatball wrote: I had my Spree up to 45mph going down a huge steep hill once and it was revving so high Im surprised it didn't explode.
:lol: That'd be me! :mrgreen:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

jerz40 wrote:I'm sill new to some things, and I thought I heard before of a variated AF05E motor, where can I find one of these at? For some reason, I keep thinking they were only available in like a Honda Eve, or Smile. I'm not sure, but I'd like to find out more on this one.
These are a good read...and much less typing for me. :wink:

http://motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Aero50/Aero50.html

http://motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Elit ... eSE50.html

To get my motor, I found a guy selling an 87' Elite SE50P with only 700mi for $100...He was the original owner and had it strapped to the back of his RV for years while traveling...until one day the strap broke and he drug it down the freeway at 70mph for a few miles...bike was trashed but motor ran great still!