Body Repair

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

my only guess is that abs glue might be used to make methamphetamines or something
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Ziraya wrote:my only guess is that abs glue might be used to make methamphetamines or something
PVC cement also contains MEK
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

alright, then let's toss it in with the montana law against sex with porcupines, dumb s*** that can't be explained
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Ziraya wrote:alright, then let's toss it in with the montana law against sex with porcupines, dumb s*** that can't be explained

Just porcupines? Who would want to f*** one of those? You would get quills stuck in your junk.
IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUP5GzHIojU#
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
WillyPhister
Noob
Noob

Post by WillyPhister »

Sodomy is illegal in Minnesota. So does that mean if a cop caught a guy and his wife at the wrong time they could get a butt sex ticket? I dont know but that would be funny, sodomy is kind of a vague term though because it can be a lot things by definition. BTW has anyone ever tried using one of those cheap ebay plastic welders before? Im thinking about getting one for fixing the cracks on my se50.
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

WillyPhister wrote:Sodomy is illegal in Minnesota. So does that mean if a cop caught a guy and his wife at the wrong time they could get a butt sex ticket? I dont know but that would be funny, sodomy is kind of a vague term though because it can be a lot things by definition. BTW has anyone ever tried using one of those cheap ebay plastic welders before? Im thinking about getting one for fixing the cracks on my se50.
It happened in Texas, I believe. Police broke in for something else and when it turned out they couldn't find what they had a warrant for, the charged the couple with illegal sodomy charges.

I think the first method sounds really good for repairs. My only question is how do you form pieces that are completely missing? Your pictures look really good, do you just do that freehand? Or could you make a kind of mold on one side and then just move it and cement it to the damaged side? I guess it wouldn't line up that way though...

I need to do this to repair lots of pieces on my Aero50, but I'm not sure what the pieces that are broken/missing are supposed to look like.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

I never had much luck trying to make a mold to created the pieces. Fist of all, if you have a section missing, without access to an original, you only have maybe the part from the opposite side of the bike to go by, and thats a mirror image. In the end, I purchased ABS sheet. You can use a hot air gun or hair dryer to heat it enough to go soft and shape it a little at a time. Cement that in place, then use the ABS cement to build up any imperfections.

Best way though is to use 2 of the same part (if you can pick up a damaged one cheap) that are broken in different areas then cut and splice to make a good whole piece.

Clive.

PS
WillyPhister wrote:BTW has anyone ever tried using one of those cheap ebay plastic welders before? Im thinking about getting one for fixing the cracks
Don't let the Minenesota cops catch you butt welding any cracks :lol:
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
monkeywrench
Spree
Spree

Post by monkeywrench »

Hey clivester as that my bike that u used for your avatar :wink:
here kitty kitty kitty
http://www.youtube.com/warmonkey80
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

monkeywrench wrote:Hey clivester as that my bike that u used for your avatar :wink:
Darn it. That's why it came without a title! :lol:

Clive.
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
coolbeans
BMX
BMX

Post by coolbeans »

Just a note to fellow Michiganders: You can use "universal" plumbing cement (available in most stores right alongside the pvc and cpvc cement) to do body repairs with. I had some random orientation glass mat sitting around and thought that I'd try that too. Both work great together! I found that scraping away the paint was a lot faster and more efficient than sanding. On serious cracks, I taped the opposite side together with packing tape, coated the area with cement, laid the glass down and saturated it. Lots of glass stands come up and it's a bit messy, but I'll only be using this cement for this type of work. Three coats of cement, each a day apart, are stiffer than the surrounding plastic. I've also used the green extruded wall anchors to replace missing sprues on the front panel. I reinforce the sides with some scraps of glass mat and a couple of layers of cement. They're holding well so far.
1985 Honda Aero 50 5k
LocoParaHonda
Spree
Spree

Re: Body Repair

Post by LocoParaHonda »

I'm going to try using this ABS cement method to fix my cracks.

What do you recommend for smoothing out scratches and scuffs? standard bondo?

Also, what grade of sandpaper do you use?
85 Honda Aero 50 w/kickstart and Keli variator. (Proteus)
86 Honda Aero 50
87 Elite 50-S parts ped
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

Plastex worked better for me when creating new tabs.
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

LocoParaHonda wrote:I'm going to try using this ABS cement method to fix my cracks.

I wouldn't use bondo - it tends to flake off flexible pieces. You can build up layers of ABS cement. Brush on a small amount, wait ~30 min, then another layer, etc. Allow several days to cure if you can. Smooth down initially with 200 grit, then 320 grit. Use a a couple of coats of sanding primer, it will fill quite a few imperfections if sanded down level between coats. You don't need to use it on the entire panel - just feather onto the areas that you've fixed. Use 600 grit for final sanding of primer before color coat. Do all your sanding with water to prevent the wet-or-dry from clogging.
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

Clivester wrote:
LocoParaHonda wrote:I'm going to try using this ABS cement method to fix my cracks.

I wouldn't use bondo - it tends to flake off flexible pieces. You can build up layers of ABS cement. Brush on a small amount, wait ~30 min, then another layer, etc. Allow several days to cure if you can. Smooth down initially with 200 grit, then 320 grit. Use a a couple of coats of sanding primer, it will fill quite a few imperfections if sanded down level between coats. You don't need to use it on the entire panel - just feather onto the areas that you've fixed. Use 600 grit for final sanding of primer before color coat. Do all your sanding with water to prevent the wet-or-dry from clogging.
Clivester is right. A buddy of mine used bondo and it cracked the first time he took his panels off because of the flex.
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Re:

Post by Spreetard »

adark248 wrote:
WillyPhister wrote:Sodomy is illegal in Minnesota. So does that mean if a cop caught a guy and his wife at the wrong time they could get a butt sex ticket? I dont know but that would be funny, sodomy is kind of a vague term though because it can be a lot things by definition. BTW has anyone ever tried using one of those cheap ebay plastic welders before? Im thinking about getting one for fixing the cracks on my se50.
It happened in Texas, I believe. Police broke in for something else and when it turned out they couldn't find what they had a warrant for, the charged the couple with illegal sodomy charges.
i would LOVE to see the legal definition of sodomy, i read somewhere anything but missionary position is illegal in FL :roll:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!