How to make * spree look * again, not for 56k.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

What is an enamel in relation to flat or gloss? I'm a rookie with this stuff.

Yeah I was thinking that with any flats I've used, they always lay up nice. Its the gloss ones tha may run on me.

So what do you think, I used primer then fusion gloss black again. Do I need to use clear on it to protect the paint?

That black elite I got was house painted. First time I put gas into it, I spilled some gas on the rear cover and the fricken paint blead really bad. Don't want that to happen with this spree.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Enamel is what you're using, a single-stage paint. Flat / gloss is just a finish.

Don't clear coat Fusion, it will be fine as-is.

There are special primers for plastic, but I've never seen a build primer meant for plastic. That said, I've never had problems with build primer adhesion or cracking on my scoot. It seems pretty flexible.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

I couldn't find any "build" primer. I could only find primer that was accepting of sanding, or sanding and wet sanding. But nothing that said anything about "build"
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

I've got great news though. After priming the pieces again, then repainting, it looks wayyyy better. I'll post pics later.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

steffen707 wrote:I couldn't find any "build" primer. I could only find primer that was accepting of sanding, or sanding and wet sanding. But nothing that said anything about "build"
That's build primer. Build primer goes on thick, doesn't run (much), and you can spray more and more to build surface thickness. It's usually grey or mustard. Vs. red oxide primer.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

shoot, the stuff I used was rubby brown?. the krylon primer in gray said it was only for sanding, had to use the brown or black for wet sanding.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Well here are a few pics of the final product. Had I cleaned the plastic with that prep stuff, then primed I wouldn't have runs like in pic 1. I didn't bother sanding the runs out because I just wanted to get this project done. Its a $400 scooter, so I didn't really care.

And with this piece, which had tons of swirls in it as you can see from up top, all I did was primed it, and painted it. No sanding at all after the first disaster of black paint. And check it out, NO MORE SWIRLS!

Moral of the story is this. CLEAN YOUR PART BEFORE YOU PAINT! and, NO MATTER WHAT A SPRAY CAN TELLS YOU, THERE IS NO SEX IN THE CHAMPAGNE ROOM.......I MEAN PRIME THE PART! Primer would have made this scoot look awesome had I used it on the first paint job. Live and learn.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.