Spark plug question

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Red Baron
Noob
Noob

Re: Spark plug question

Post by Red Baron »

Interesting. I purchased this plug from a Honda motorcycle dealer! He even showed me NGK's catalog, no more "A's"! I don't know what to say...Canada thing again, maybe.

"Wide Open Throttle" makes sens, thanks!
Lunytune wrote:
(again, I'm told the HSA is no longer available)
They lie. I just bought two BPR6HSA plugs from Honda house this week. If that's a local auto parts house, they want to keep your business by selling you something else. But buy what works and is available. I'm 25 miles from Honda House and understand. I had to be in town on other business and also to order a tire for my Helix or I might not have bought it.

WOT can mean many things but in this context, it means Wide Open Throttle.
Proud owner of a 1989 Elite R
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Interesting. I purchased this plug from a Honda motorcycle dealer! He even showed me NGK's catalog, no more "A's"! I don't know what to say...Canada thing again, maybe.
Red Baron, I could have bought old stock, who knows. Out of desperation, I bought a Motorcraft plug from local store a few weeks ago, just to make sure I had a backup in case I needed it. It's in my junkbasket project now and does fire hot, but I much prefer NGK, and once my new project is on the road, it will get one of the new NGK's.

I like Motorcraft in a car. I wouldn't walk across the street for AC or Champion if they were free.
Last edited by Lunytune on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Good Lord, my 94 had a * Champion in it when I got it. I went straight to an NGK before I even tried firing it.

I do agree Motorcraft has some good parts and since they supply alot of goodies to Ford(my favorite car brand) I really like them. Never tried the plugs in my scooters though, I'll just stick to what's tried and true. I like the NGK plugs alot. Those B7HS's I get are available at O'Reilleys, AutoZone, Murray's, Advance Auto Parts, etc.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I run the brand the factory tells me to run, because all of my stuff is Japanese(completely coincidental) I run NGKs in my bikes(86 spree, 72 Kaw F-11 250) and Toyota Camry.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Kenny, I worked in a dual dealership Pontiac/Toyota 30 years ago and Toyota didn't run NGK back then. Whatever they used in the 2TC engine, it cross referenced for slant six Dodge, and a used plug was better than the new AC's or Champions. So when I did a tune up on a Toyota, I kept the old plugs for my Dodge Dart. I'm still a Dodge man, but since Government is taking over, I'll probably go to Toyota next.

Plainly put, I like NGK in any small engine, even my lawnmower, but like Motorcraft (old Autolite) in cars/trucks.

On the availability issue, it seems that it is the #6 that parts houses don't have. And it may have just been a streak of luck and old stock when I picked up the #6 plugs at Honda House. Since Honda and Yamaha have gone all 4 stroke, the #6 may be get more and more scarce.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

On my 92 2.2 liter 5S-FE w/ 4 speed auto it states in the manual.
Replacing spark plugs(5S-FE engine)
Parts:
*4 spark plugs recommended below or
equivalent
NIPPONDENSO PK20R11
NGK BKR6EP-11
Last edited by Kenny_McCormic on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

NIPPONDENSO
That's it!! That's the plug Toyota was using in the 70's. Great product. Like I say, a used Nippondenso with 15,000 miles was a better plug than new AC or Champion.

So if you could cross reference NKG scooter plug to Nippondenso, you could have a good backup source. But I haven't seen them in a while. Possibly at a Toyota/Nissan dealer?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

They go by just Denso now http://www.densocorp-na.com/default.php. A quick froogle search would make it appear that their plugs are still made and at least in the case of my Toyota, cheaper than the NGKs.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:They go by just Denso now http://www.densocorp-na.com/default.php. A quick froogle search would make it appear that their plugs are still made and at least in the case of my Toyota, cheaper than the NGKs.
GREAT! Next step, find a supplier. We're at least 60 miles to closest Toyota dealer, and then there is the matter of cross-referencing.

What do Honda Autos use? Or Mazda. I've owned a Mazda but never changed plugs.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

2tc! 1.6l of pure fury! its got a hemi.....
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

scooterwerx wrote:2tc! 1.6l of pure fury! its got a hemi.....
The 2TC was quite peppy for its size and it was a joy to work on. As the expression goes, it had a zipper on it. I wish I still had one. But alas, just like these scooters, the body is the first thing to go. I put 180K on a Corolla wagon. Motor and tranny was still strong when I traded it. I sprung the tailgate trying to lift it after freezing rain. I wasn't used to Missouri winter. Otherwise, I would have kept it longer.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

yup, i have a 80 te72 coupe, did the pikes peak hill climb a while back, building a turbo 3tc for rally competition. awesome little old motor!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

scooterwerx wrote:yup, i have a 80 te72 coupe, did the pikes peak hill climb a while back, building a turbo 3tc for rally competition. awesome little old motor!
WHAT? You build these things for competition? The 3tc was just coming out when I left the dealership. Seems it was a slant 3 cylinder?

The Celicia with the 2000 (RTC3?) was a punchy ride. But a little harder to work on.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

the 3tc is the 1.8l version of the 2tc, they share many parts, only the bore and stroke are different. they are stout nd reliable, and it is possible to get decent power, some of the puerto rican drag racers are pushing SERIOUS power out of them, half a hemi! 3tc came in alot of old school toyotas, 2tc based japanese 3tgte came ohc and turbo!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Looks like I"m going to have to take a look at the Toyotas next time I go shopping. It's been a long time since I've had one.