Custom build with Honda motor

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Scooter motor, taken for a custom build?

Post by Dac »

I personally have been dreaming of doing a build like this one, but with a dio motor.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss ... 0&t=728902
http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss ... 167441&v=f

such an amazing bike...
...and its not mine... :cry:
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

wow Dac that thing is sweet lookin
projects galore :nerd:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Dac wrote:I personally have been dreaming of doing a build like this one, but with a dio motor.
such an amazing bike...
Please don't cry. :|
Problem with a Dio, you're still limited on wheel size. How about fabricating a sprocket on the rear axle of the Dio? You could cut the center hub out of a scooter wheel, and weld the sprocket to the hub. Then weld the back frame/wheel/sprocket from a cycle? Run the chain from the fabricated drive sprocket back to the cycle wheel sprocket?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

Lunytune wrote:
Dac wrote:I personally have been dreaming of doing a build like this one, but with a dio motor.
such an amazing bike...
Please don't cry. :|
Problem with a Dio, you're still limited on wheel size. How about fabricating a sprocket on the rear axle of the Dio? You could cut the center hub out of a scooter wheel, and weld the sprocket to the hub. Then weld the back frame/wheel/sprocket from a cycle? Run the chain from the fabricated drive sprocket back to the cycle wheel sprocket?

thats what i was thinking.
what about if you cut off the engine and installed a clutch (like a chain saw) on the shaft then ran a chain from there to the rear wheel. hahahahah ya thats it hahahahah

i think a scooter enigine whould be the way to go so you can get away from some laws though.

videonut
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

you clearly didnt click the links. The motor was a chain driven motor, but check this out....
Transmission : This is were this bike gets nuts, the whole transmission was replaced by a full aprilia scarabeo variator system. this was accomplished by cutting both the fa and the aprilia drive arms in half, and simply welding the pieces back together :) Doing it this way allowed me to run the wheels and breaks off the aprilia, aswell as any aprilia preformance parts, clutches, racing gears, and IÔÇÖve already equipped with a Molosse Multi-Var. I also had to make a new seal for the crank bearing as it was formerly lubed by the trans fluid. The front variator was a mounted on the crank with a few simple shims and some tricky spacing. I was able to use the stock belt, but I could make use of a belt that is about 25mm longer.

Its very possible to put a dio motor into a moped, it just is gonna take a lot of time and money.
. How about fabricating a sprocket on the rear axle of the Dio? You could cut the center hub out of a scooter wheel, and weld the sprocket to the hub. Then weld the back frame/wheel/sprocket from a cycle? Run the chain from the fabricated drive sprocket back to the cycle wheel sprocket?
I have been sketching out different ideas on this for over a year now, but in all honestly, its just not reasonable. Possible? yes, but reasonable? no.
A better idea is to cut the trans case in half (like where the cover comes in half). Using the motor part all up front and where you want it. Then using the rear half on the end of the bike, opening it up like half a foot to a foot. Then using a much longer belt.
This would allow you to use any size tire, any dio gear ratio and any dio performance part. It would require a full custom frame, but if dont right it would totally be worth it.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

Dac wrote:you clearly didnt click the links. The motor was a chain driven motor, but check this out....
Transmission : This is were this bike gets nuts, the whole transmission was replaced by a full aprilia scarabeo variator system. this was accomplished by cutting both the fa and the aprilia drive arms in half, and simply welding the pieces back together :) Doing it this way allowed me to run the wheels and breaks off the aprilia, aswell as any aprilia preformance parts, clutches, racing gears, and IÔÇÖve already equipped with a Molosse Multi-Var. I also had to make a new seal for the crank bearing as it was formerly lubed by the trans fluid. The front variator was a mounted on the crank with a few simple shims and some tricky spacing. I was able to use the stock belt, but I could make use of a belt that is about 25mm longer.

Its very possible to put a dio motor into a moped, it just is gonna take a lot of time and money.
. How about fabricating a sprocket on the rear axle of the Dio? You could cut the center hub out of a scooter wheel, and weld the sprocket to the hub. Then weld the back frame/wheel/sprocket from a cycle? Run the chain from the fabricated drive sprocket back to the cycle wheel sprocket?
I have been sketching out different ideas on this for over a year now, but in all honestly, its just not reasonable. Possible? yes, but reasonable? no.
A better idea is to cut the trans case in half (like where the cover comes in half). Using the motor part all up front and where you want it. Then using the rear half on the end of the bike, opening it up like half a foot to a foot. Then using a much longer belt.
This would allow you to use any size tire, any dio gear ratio and any dio performance part. It would require a full custom frame, but if dont right it would totally be worth it.

OH YA thats what im talking about. did this guy use a moped frame for that build? it looks like a trail bike frame.
yes i think you sould go for it.
videonut
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Dac - Wow, thats so far removed from the original Suzuki FA50 (Looks kinda like a Yamahopper/QT50) I had to go back and take a look at one again. Crazy! :mrgreen:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Videonut wrote:
Dac wrote:you clearly didnt click the links. The motor was a chain driven motor, but check this out....

OH YA thats what im talking about. did this guy use a moped frame for that build? it looks like a trail bike frame.
yes i think you sould go for it.
videonut

Here is what the guy started with.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

oh man your right. that is the coolest thing i have ever seen. I used to have a little moped like that and i had no idea i would do that. what am i kidding i couldnt do that, i mean welding the aluminum and such. what did those wheels come off of??

videonut
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Dac - (Posts a pic of a stock Suzukit FA50)....
Yeah - that's just what I'm saying - you can just barely make the frame, and the engine hardly looks like a 'zuki... I'm still saying Crazy! :mrgreen:
Moped guys are doing a lot, there's no limit to how much thought work and fun folks put into their rides.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

mousewheels wrote:Moped guys are doing a lot, there's no limit to how much thought work and fun folks put into their rides.
Yeah, but it's almost sacrilege to mod one. There was a young lady on a 1970 ped in our mini-rally Friday night. It was fast and she knew how to drive. There were at least 3 Elites and a 150 in the pack and she ran circles around us.
JohnRobHolmes
Goped
Goped

Post by JohnRobHolmes »

I like where this thread went! That is a BA looking build there. Don't wear baggy pants around it!

I think the double crown forks set it off nice.
JohnRobHolmes
Goped
Goped

Post by JohnRobHolmes »

I have decided to go an easier/cheaper route and use this roller for parts/frame http://www.pccmotor.com/rolling-chassis ... -xr50.html

I will drop in the honda 50 engine and lengthen the frame in front, rear swingarm, and add some length to the rear subframe to accommodate a passenger seat.

The build will be a "scooter/moped" for Missouri. I am looking forward to the honda 4 stroke engine, it should be very reliable!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Tigerland will never be the same. If I get up that way, I'll want to look you up to see this critter. I don't get up there much anymore since my boy graduated.
JohnRobHolmes
Goped
Goped

Post by JohnRobHolmes »

Got some initial work done for one of my builds. I laced a 17" motorcycle rim into a Marzocchi 20mm front hub with 10ga stainless motorcycle spokes. Tires are Shinko 17x2.5 DOT rated dual sports. The fork is an 03 Marz Super Pro.