Worse day ever...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

burnt_toast wrote:I have my old oil pump sitting in a box in my garage.. no one's bought it, make me an offer man

or if you want a cheap(er) plug, you can press the gear off the stock pump working or not and just install back in.

Stud and head nut kit from Vt like $12, good stuff
For an even cheaper plug, couldn't one go to their local auto parts store and buy a rubber freeze plug of the appropriate size and put that in?

eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

:( My old man took apart the motor 18 years ago to fix it and never did all because he didnt know how to put the piston rings back on.. He broke one trying and had to order 1. Never messed with it again and the motor was shoved into a wooden drawer along with many other tools and stuff ever since. We managed to find 3 out of 4 and thats after tearing the drawer apart and looking under it. That one bolt must of fell out at some point and either placed somewhere else or tossed out.

Totally sucks..
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Dac wrote:
eclypse wrote:Figures.. Thats what my Dad was thinking. Thanks for the info burnt toast. :wink:
good luck, you need to find somewhere that has metric bolts.

its like 1 x 6mm thread, 95mm longs, with a 10mm hex head.

there is a place about 20 minutes from me that had like 24 in stock, only 50 cents each, but all the sell is bolts, nothing else. i stopped at allot of local hardware store first, but no one had anything like it.

good luck finding them man, i believe i got lucky, i hope you get lucky too.
My local hardware store carries metric nuts and bolts as does the auto parts store. There are less than 12,000 in town and less than 5,5000 in the county.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

ALOW1 wrote:
burnt_toast wrote:I have my old oil pump sitting in a box in my garage.. no one's bought it, make me an offer man

or if you want a cheap(er) plug, you can press the gear off the stock pump working or not and just install back in.

Stud and head nut kit from Vt like $12, good stuff
For an even cheaper plug, couldn't one go to their local auto parts store and buy a rubber freeze plug of the appropriate size and put that in?

Difference is, you actually want something to fill in that spare crankcase volume, not just cover up the left over hole..
projects galore :nerd:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

thats where i think you are wrong, i have talked to a few people who say just coving the hole is good enough and all that crank case volume is a load of s***.

when i was looking in there it looked as if the oil pump had its own pathway down the crank shaft, so taking it out wouldn't do anything volume of the crank case.

I just took the gear out on mine and just put the top part back on to plug it off, seems to work fine.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Dac wrote:thats where i think you are wrong, i have talked to a few people who say just coving the hole is good enough and all that crank case volume is a load of s***.

when i was looking in there it looked as if the oil pump had its own pathway down the crank shaft, so taking it out wouldn't do anything volume of the crank case.

I just took the gear out on mine and just put the top part back on to plug it off, seems to work fine.
Covering the hole is enough. But a case volume being a load of s*** just shows how little they know about 2 strokes and how they function.

As to your plug, I suggest you soak it in gas for a few days and see what the rubber does. That blot and washer falling out into the rotating assembly's path would be a disaster.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

no i mean, its like the oil pump has its own tube to its own part of the crank, it does not seem to open to the rest of the crank where the crank case volume would matter.

i could be wrong, but i dont you need the plug. just something to cap off the hole. Bear45-70 is 100% right too, if that plug got some gas one it, then fell apart going down the road, you would be in some real trouble.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Dac wrote:no i mean, its like the oil pump has its own tube to its own part of the crank, it does not seem to open to the rest of the crank where the crank case volume would matter.

i could be wrong, but i dont you need the plug. just something to cap off the hole. Bear45-70 is 100% right too, if that plug got some gas one it, then fell apart going down the road, you would be in some real trouble.
It has to open into the crankcase, how else would the pump gear get driven off the crankshaft? I finally see you want to stick the plug in from the outside to replace the pump. Two reasons not a good idea. First, that plug will get oil and gas on it and will get slick enough for crankcase pressure to push it out. Just shove the rubber plug in the hole (or 2 of them) to fill the hole and then bolt a plate over it, would work better. Second the pump shaft is fat to fill the hole and without taking up the space that shaft did before, you will have a loose of performance.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Oil pump DOES play a role in overall crank case volume and certainly not a load of bs, be careful who you get your advice from. covering the hole up, just covers up the problem..

For best results: VT's Oil plug $10, for billet aluminum piece that fits up the entire empty space left over from oil pump. That investment was an easy choice
projects galore :nerd:
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

lol cant use that rubber plug.. the aluminum plug is the easiest way to do it. When jus using the oil pump without the gears it works, but i have seen a few that pop apart , they are pressed together. Wil you see a big diffrence? I highly doubt it, unless you have a dyno to check it. Sometimes when y stuff your cases theres a chance that sometimes you get to much case pressure..
good luck and have fun!
but you can use other things to do it...
aloha
D
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

tru72 wrote:lol cant use that rubber plug.. the aluminum plug is the easiest way to do it. When jus using the oil pump without the gears it works, but i have seen a few that pop apart , they are pressed together. Wil you see a big diffrence? I highly doubt it, unless you have a dyno to check it. Sometimes when y stuff your cases theres a chance that sometimes you get to much case pressure..
good luck and have fun!
but you can use other things to do it...
aloha
D
To much case pressure? That's like saying that more compression will hurt your performance.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

I've been reading this thread and the other one from bear about stuffing the case. I have my motor totally apart right now as i'm waitin for parts to put it all back together and would be willing to stuff it and see what happens.. All stock and will remain so till most likely next year.

What to use and where to put it? I'm planing on keeping the oil pump in as i believe thats fine.
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

ok, so was out riding yesterday and everything was fine.

got it out today, let it warm up. took it for a ride...
made it like 1/4th of a mile then it just started to die. It starts up, low rpms seem fine, but high RPMs it just bogs out. I cleaned the carb today and it made no difference. I also threw in a new plug, no difference.

New Day=New Problem. :(
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Dac wrote:ok, so was out riding yesterday and everything was fine.

got it out today, let it warm up. took it for a ride...
made it like 1/4th of a mile then it just started to die. It starts up, low rpms seem fine, but high RPMs it just bogs out. I cleaned the carb today and it made no difference. I also threw in a new plug, no difference.

New Day=New Problem. :(
Could be a weak ignition, bad coil, bad plug wire, low voltage from the stator or a bad CDI. I would lean towarded the coil first and then the stator and/or the CDI. This is a classic, gets warm and then I won't work right anymore deal.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree