New nitrogen enriched fuel

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

adark248
Elite
Elite

New nitrogen enriched fuel

Post by adark248 »

So I heard about this new nitrogen enriched fuel made by Shell. Apparently the nitrogen is supposed to destroy carbon buildup, etc. I thought some of the more experiened motorists could clue us in to the legitimacy or possible benefits of using this fuel in our scoots. Could this help clean out that carbon that builds up and slows down our two strokers?
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Re: New nitrogen enriched fuel

Post by GIJoeBob »

Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

From the above link (Thanks GIJoeBob) it sounds like it MIGHT help fight future carbon build up, but most likely wont help clean up what is already there. It also had the following statement that seems to read to me that we might have to worry about lean conditions being created since these little two-smokers of ours don't have fancy computers and fuel enjectors.

"The Bad

Aside from the negative science above, the sports car community is concerned that nitrogen enriched fuels will harm your forced induction vehicle if is tuned to run 90-100% injector cycle. Some say that the minimum octane rating will still be the same, therefore no ECU adjustment will occur and it is perfectly okay to use this fuel. If the majority is correct, this fuel could cause lean conditions and your ECU will want to increase injector duty cycle to make up for non-flammable gas. If you are already running your maximum injector cycle and don't have enough to compensate for the change, a lean condition could possibly occur. Make sure you have plenty of injector duty left and keep an eye on your AFR's while running this fuel until further evidence is released confirming the science behind this new fuel.

Also, Shell's lack of in-depth press release is creating negative buzz on the forums. Most forum users agree this is just another marketing tactic to help boost sales. Some even say this stuff is really bad for your car and the environment. Other's say it's wonderful. Hopefully, a third party labratory will release some spectrometer readings to figure out exactly what is in this stuff would settle any discrepencies."
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Fishman43 wrote:From the above link (Thanks GIJoeBob) it sounds like it MIGHT help fight future carbon build up, but most likely wont help clean up what is already there. It also had the following statement that seems to read to me that we might have to worry about lean conditions being created since these little two-smokers of ours don't have fancy computers and fuel enjectors.
nah I wouldnt worry about it creating a lean condition, if anything a bit richer. instead of having as much % fuel as before now you have <% same fuel and an additive, so keeping same carb settings you ought to run a bit richer.

since as stated the nitrogen itself doesnt burn, this should be safe to run on our 2smokers.

lets all try it and report back :)
projects galore :nerd:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

To quote the great George Carlin.

"It's all *, and its bad for ya."
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
01EliteSR
Goped
Goped

Post by 01EliteSR »

The cheapest and most convient (take bank card at pump) station is Shell. So that's all the scoot a has ever had in it. Never pulled plug to check any problem or color changing. But seat of the pants hasn't change yet so, no worries. But we have a lyce fuel depot near town. And they fill up quite a few stations, including a local chevron. Which makes me wonder, does their gas really have anything helpful in it?
IT's A Honda.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

01EliteSR wrote:The cheapest and most convient (take bank card at pump) station is Shell. So that's all the scoot a has ever had in it. Never pulled plug to check any problem or color changing. But seat of the pants hasn't change yet so, no worries. But we have a lyce fuel depot near town. And they fill up quite a few stations, including a local chevron. Which makes me wonder, does their gas really have anything helpful in it?
Yeah, I know what you mean there is a question when you know all gas comes from certain refinery or tank farm. But the operator at the loading dock has several additives which he adds according to the buyer's specs. Since nitrogen is a gas and only in liquid when compressed, I'm curious to how they get it into the gas and molecules tied together.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes