Questions about a 2001 Honda Elite SR i just bought.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eclypse
Spree
Spree

Questions about a 2001 Honda Elite SR i just bought.

Post by eclypse »

Hey guys.. I've finally got me a Honda Dio Elite!.Scored a 2001 (All Black) Honda Elite SR. Got it locally from craigs. I'm sure some people seen it here in Michigan as theres so many members from MI.

Bought it as i figured it was cheaper to use the wheels and panels then to buy all new stuff for my original 88 Honda Elite LX.. the motor obviously is a huge bonus. :)

Anyways, when i was cleaning the bike i noticed what looks like paint runs or drips. That and with the front handle bar cover cracked i notice white paint under that so now i figure that the black paint on the handle cover is not original. Kinda looks like someone just painted the handle bar cover while it was on the bike and some paint dripped down on the leg plastic.. also i can see some black paint on the key hole when it was sprayed.

So now i'm totally confused cause as i look around the bike i see some wear marks to the sides and it looks like someone just repainted them without sanding the paint underneith.. but at the same time it looks good and shinny like the original paint?

I've looked online at places you can get honda parts from and for that year scooter the inside plastics only come in carbon gray and not black like this one. The outside panels come in black though.. So now i'm woundering if the inner palstics have all been painted black or they came that way originally and you just cant buy them black now?

The biggy i noticed when i thought i noticed it all was the fact that when looking at the bike from the rear, the back wheel looks crooked. I dont mean that the rim is slightly bent as it is but thats not what i'm talking about. The wheel is leaning to the left? Like the motor and the wheel is not straight? Is that freakin possable? Like could the motor hanger be bent or something??

So heres the rundown on the problems:

1.Front tire is dry rotting and the rim is slightly bent but not enough to feel while ridding.
2. Front plastic cover could be replaced as theres 2 broken tabs and the paint isint perfect.
3. handle bar front cover needs to be replaced!
4. Needs new complete right turn signal as the base is cracked.
5. Oh, seller said he put a new rear tire on it last year.. if true, it still needs to be replaced as its worn.
6. Needs horn as theres none! The only thing i didnt test at the time :(
7. Needs 2 new mirrors!
8. Rear end is'nt straight. Might be the motor hanger or i have no clue! Its slight be its bugging me.
9. New muffler cover as its cracked! Would change it anyways as someone painted it white! hehe
10. New rear fender as someone put some wierd red (whateveryouwhattocallit) on it.
11. Motor needs to be looked at.. Would love to take it all apart to get a good look.
12. new brake levers!

Other then that everything works properly.. Kick stand will fire it up on the first try and so with the electric start. Headlight even though its cracked around the edges works.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I was originally intending on using this bike as a doner to my original 88 SA50 LX as it needs wheels and could use new plastics and why not throw in a tweakable motor? heh. It was like spend over a grand fixing the one up or buy a new bike for $500 and use the parts.

So now with this condition with as much work as this one will need.. i dont know what to do. Dont seem logical to swap all the parts onto the 88 when this one runs and would be alot less work and leave it as is.. Ofcourse, if its hot then swap is the only way.

I was hoping to not have to repaint but looks like that might happen anyways.

I really liked the white 88 when i was 15-16 but now this all black looks evil and i'm really into it hehe. Would be nice to keep both but my garage dont have enough room with both and a car. White and Black would be a nice pairing.
*** Edit *** "Question now answered" is:

Is that the right color for the leg/floor and under seat plastic? I'm guessing its not and the real color was carbon grey. Kinda looks good as black but theres some paint runs that would be nice to fix.. that plus the handlebar speedo plastic is off and looks more like a dark blue then black. That would need to be painted as well to match.

One answer that Honda did have a model with black plastic and another says its been repainted. Guessing repainted myself.
Last edited by eclypse on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Re: Questions about a 2001 Honda Elite SR i just bought.

Post by eclypse »

Oh real quick.. Today i finnally took it around the block a few quick times to test it out and see its max speed. I dont have a helmet yet as i dont have anymore cash for one atm.

Its loud! It almost sounds like something rubbing something.. i dont know i'm no expert by any means on motors. Slow take off and the max speed i got was according to the speedo was around 32-33 (I'm around 290lbs and 6'4" i was the same size when i was 15-16 when i drove my 88 elite LX and i got 35 easy on that.) Turning didnt feel good as its prob cause the rear end isint straight. Also theres some smoke coming out the of muffler.

I'm hopping it just needs a new belt and maybe some new rollers.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

** Answered thanks! **

Oh one more thing! How can i find out if this is a real 01 SR? Is there any markings on the frame that will prove this? Like the Vin or something? Stupid question i know but you never know as anyone can just put some panels on.
Last edited by eclypse on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jesse1234
Spree
Spree

Post by jesse1234 »

Purple '99 Elite SR
Red '01 Elite S

Post by eclypse »

thanks!
Last edited by eclypse on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

You can look Behind the front tire on the frame and get the vin then use this site..http://www.jacksscootershop.com/honda_VIN.html
To check to see if it's a Elite SR.

Get a new belt, where about in MI do you live?
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Thanks for the info! Well checked the vin and it looks like its right at being a 2001. Though where they show the SR models it does not show an 01 so i cant check the color, but the VIN matches the SR models so its a SR! :)

I do see a color code under the seat.. though i dont know what that means.

Oh, i'm in Macomb, near Garfield and Hall road.
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

That,s north of muskegon right? i live in Grand Haven!
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

toboggan wrote:That,s north of muskegon right? i live in Grand Haven!
Nope, not even close. I live in south east MI.. And Muskegon is west side edge of MI. :)
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Anyone know how to close the little door under the seat for access to the spark plug?? d*** thing is stuck open and i figure out how to loosen it so i can close it. On my 88 the door has a large screw. On this 01 i cant figure it out as insted of a screw it looks like a large rivit? Looks like a bish to get to the spark plug as the opening is far from the plug. Should'nt it line up?

Oh, i doubt it but if a new belt from a 88 will fit on the newer 01 i'd swap them in a sec to see if that helps hehe.

EDIT: lol.. Well i guess the belt is the same! Lucked out for once. Crap, i need to barrow my old mans tools to get this going.

* try that out then take the whole d*** motor off and take it over to my old mans garage and take it apart. Throw the muffler in the fire pit to clean that out.. might as well take off the muffler from my 88 as that sounds bad as well.

Another dumb question.. I've read that you need to replace the washer/gasket on the muffer if you ever remove it.. Is this true? Its so it seals properly when you put the muffler back on right?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

eclypse wrote:Anyone know how to close the little door under the seat for access to the spark plug?? d*** thing is stuck open and i figure out how to loosen it so i can close it. On my 88 the door has a large screw. On this 01 i cant figure it out as insted of a screw it looks like a large rivit? Looks like a bish to get to the spark plug as the opening is far from the plug. Should'nt it line up?

Another dumb question.. I've read that you need to replace the washer/gasket on the muffer if you ever remove it.. Is this true? Its so it seals properly when you put the muffler back on right?
so the rivet deal popped out? the cover just needs to be smacked hard to close if rivet is still intact. its not good for plug changes, much easier to pull plug directly under the bike, or pull the seat, gives you lots more room.

yes its "recommended" to install new gasket when re-installing exhaust, but I wouldn't worry much about it on stock setup, just bolt back up and note for leaks. I've done that plenty and it still seals pretty well for most part.

also a tip, condense your questions in 1st post and you'll likely get more feedback
projects galore :nerd:
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

No the rivet end is still on just the other side where the tab is open. I figured i could smack it closed, it just would seem impossable to open up again. though since the cut out isint close theres no point to using it. So i guess no harm in closing it if as you said, its easier to get to the spark plug underneith.

Thanks for the tip.. was just adding as i was to the thread as questions were coming to me. I figured the first post is way too long and no one would see the questions.. I should edit it down.

Though i never got an answer on the inner plastics.. Are they repainted black as Honda never made them black? The right color is Carbon Gray right?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

not certain but I believe Honda DID make black inners on some models
projects galore :nerd:
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Just checked the belt.. d*** took forever to get that cover off lol.

Anyways, it looked fine. No wear on the teeth..but obvious signs of wear to the sides.. so i could replace it but no hurry. Not the smoking gun i was hoping for.

It did look like there may be a small leak in the carb as i noticed something leaking down the side of the crackcase where the carb is. Didnt notice anything leaking from any of the lines on it though. Prob a small leak if anything. I'll eventually get around to taking the carb off and cleaning it good. The air filter was dirty. Wiped it off but i didnt have any oil around to give it a great clean job.

Next i'll take the fan cover off and clean that cover as it looks pretty bad. The fan is prob nasty as well.. I think the noise i hear is from the fan.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Hey toast.. What size tire and brand is that on the wear of your bike? I think i remember in another thread you saying that you put a larger size tire on it.

I read on here that someone suggested putting a 3.50 tire on an elite though i dont know if it will be safe with my big but on it with the stock shock.