Old school 3 Wheeled 2 stroker

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Old school 3 Wheeled 2 stroker

Post by Fishman43 »

Check out this goofy looking 3 wheeled old school Honda 49cc in my neck of the woods!

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/1257312098.html
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Old school 3 Wheeled 2 stroker

Post by mousewheels »

Its an '86 Honda Gyro...
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

I thought a gyro would go faster than 30mph. but that one is cool, I've never seen one with that color scheme.

Edit: bought one and they go a solid 30mph but can reach 35 with no head wind and a long flat straight.
Last edited by eliteguy50 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I have always wanted a Gyro just to make a bolt in rearend out of some excessively large bike engine.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:I have always wanted a Gyro just to make a bolt in rearend out of some excessively large bike engine.
that was common with the yamaha BW200 and BW350. the rear tire was so big that they came from the factory with a jackshaft drive.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

KennyMcCormic wrote:I have always wanted a Gyro just to make a bolt in rearend out of some excessively large bike engine.
That would be straightforwards, in the pic below, the engine is attached to the pivot via 3 bolts. Take those off, and there's a vertical fin on the pivot ready to tie into anything... A shifter kart back end? Also, note the pivot to frame mount. It should be just as easy to adapt a Gyro pivot to other frames.. P.S. If anyone is serious, there is currently a pivot on eBay from an '84 Gyro.

Swapped that pivot/engine into a Gyro this weekend. Fixing both the malfunctioning pivot lock (see the bicycle kickstand the p/o installed) and a failed transmission. Pic is in jest, modeling an imaginary five wheeler. Actually the pic is a reminder for what engine went where :?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Are there any stops on how many degrees of rotation the pivot can do?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

KennyMcCormic wrote:Are there any stops on how many degrees of rotation the pivot can do?
Yes, there are rubber dampers that progressively add resistance, and a final stop when the pivot lock sector gear hits the case. The parts just slide onto a splined shaft, for a special purpose, one could remove the parts, and replace with a spacer to keep the front bearing where it belongs. But gotta be careful, be easy to drop the front half of the bike on the ground. I haven't measured the tilt range, but I think its just under 45 degrees left/right.

What kind of ideas do you have for the pivot?

Here's a pic of an NN50 pivot I took apart last yr. It's not as rusty as the TG50's in this thread..
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Yea weld up a new rear frame, get a go kart axle with diff, and drop a ninja 250 motor on there or something along those lines. You could easily add a foot shifter and brake(freeing up the left handlebar for a clutch lever) thanks to the gyro already having pegs. Run a hydraulic disk brake on the rear.
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Looking at that 5 wheel....Can that be set up for a twin,bored/stroked Dio set up?WOW!!! Just think of of the possibilities!!!!!!Tazland can start coming out with a posi. trans...x2=4 wheel posi...the mind boggles...We could start a "MONSTER SCOOT" competition.Jumps and all!!!We could jump???????....Ho..well not such a good idea.Got to go ,my Ramen noodles are burning(fire alarm blaring ),Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

KennyMcCormic wrote:Yea weld up a new rear frame, get a go kart axle with diff, and drop a ninja 250 motor on there or something along those lines. You could easily add a foot shifter and brake(freeing up the left handlebar for a clutch lever) thanks to the gyro already having pegs. Run a hydraulic disk brake on the rear.
:D :D :D Hope you bump into a Gyro deal soon...
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Don't forget the * of cash!!! I had to pass up a near running(needed points), beat up but mechanically sound ATC 250 for $200 today. I did manage to snag this for $7.

(engine was not included, nor was the clutch or cable, nor does that clutch fit that engine, **** 1" shaft)

All the bearings are trash, doubt the tires hold air, one rear is considerably larger and has a different rim. I plan to eventually(before I'm 50, that gives me over 33 years) lift it and make it into a gyro type machine. Set it up with trailing link suspension up front(with a big MC tire), LSD or posi style axle in an added pod in back(small car tires?), old axle stubs will be used for "oh s***!" casters. Some sort of a sled engine will probably be used, not sure on trans setup yet.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Cool trike deal. I like those simple things and that kids and their parents had some cheap fun. Built your way it will be fun for sure.

Got a pic of something similar. Saw a beat to death one in a pull apart yard last year. ('Dune Cycle'). Comet style torque converter drove a differential, swing axles and IRS to go with it. Woulda asked about the price, if the truck and garage wasn't already full... Went back the next weekend thinking 'well if its there...' - G O N E...

hondadirtracer
BMX
BMX

Post by hondadirtracer »

mtd made a 3 wheeler back in the '70s called a mud bug
1987 Spree. Motor is in a rubermaid container.
1979 Honda Express that runs like a top.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

hondadirtracer wrote:mtd made a 3 wheeler back in the '70s called a mud bug
Thanks will look for a pic of one :D

Here's a pic of the back end of a Dune Cycle with suspension. BTW, the pic and more is at the oldtrikes.com site link below. I learned from that site the one at the pull apart shop was different than the pic placed earlier in this thread.
Kenny - if you are tracking this thead check out this link (is a ~300cc trike w/pipes) and site. http://oldtrikes.com/alsport/racer.htm