ch80 carb help

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Videonut
Spree
Spree

ch80 carb help

Post by Videonut »

OK so here is my story. i got this nice little honda elite 80 (ch80) at the dump. It is missing some parts like side covers and key and air-box. I have gotten it running after a VERY long cleaning of the carb but as i took it apart i found this spring and i cant seem to figure out why?? now it will idle fine but will not rev when pulling up on the accelerator lever (on the carb) the vacuum piston will not go up with the accelerator. if i put my screw driver in and push up it will rev up GREAT. what can i make of this,,, well i cannot find anything wrong with carb in the manuel but i have never taken one of these apart before either.

thanks
videonut

86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Re: ch80 carb help

Post by chevyguyjay »

i know it doesnt show it in this pic.....but that spring looks like it rest on top of #11 in this pic. i pretty sure thats where it goes. 8)
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

chevyguyjay wrote:i know it doesnt show it in this pic.....but that spring looks like it rest on top of #11 in this pic. i pretty sure thats where it goes. 8)
#11? is a jet its about the size of a small pencil. how would it go there? i thought it goes under the diaphram but it wont fit (too many windings (i am wondering if its not the correct spring???

videonut
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Yo Videonut, I got a carb I'll toss in the box. Swap in your jets and away you go. I used the jets in my 110 pocket bike.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

ch80 CV carb.

Post by elitedio »

The spring goes over the piston and pushes it down. Its purpose is to keep the the air speed high over the venturi. Between part 4 and 11. It is missing on the diagram. If it isn't going up you may have a vacuum leak.
Last edited by elitedio on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

that spring should sit on top of the diaphram. if the one u have doesnt fit, get one that will. u will need it. 8)
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

K i cannot sit on top of the diaphram. it would be in the way of this

the arm sits on top of the diaphram and it pushes down here.

the spring cant sit under either because there is no room (no clearance) if i put it under the spring completely smashed makes it WOT.

So here is what i think... under the diaphram is a small plastic ring called the "primary collar" it is suppose to push up the diaphram and the vacuum piston goes up.

but it doesnt, its like the vacuum is missing, there is no other parts to connect any vacuum hoses and there is no stray hose. there is one that is supposed to go in the intake hose that connects to the airbox.(witch i dont have) i know that the spree will not run without the correct vacuum in it. is this the issue here too???

thanks
videonut
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

OH my am i a idiot..... Or is the * hat that put the carb together the first time an * hat? ok so the little ring that i thought goes up with air or vacuum doesnt. It goes up with the spring. the spring goes in first.....

then the little ring goes in and the bracket holds it down

the reason it doesnt show up on the diagram is because you are NOT supposed to remove those little screws...... sheeeez. so me not knowing some * hat put took it apart i didnt think that it was suppose to go there. anyway now you know...
videonut

OH and the CH80 now runs and is driving (blowing smoke) but i need a new plug and i think i am going to have to use the original airbox.
doesnt seem to run too good without it. backfires and cuts out. of course the air mixture is all messed up and my bystarter is broken too.