Stock mirror alternatives

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

RustyShackelford
BMX
BMX

Stock mirror alternatives

Post by RustyShackelford »

I wanna see some not-so-stock mirrors. Whether you found some cool ones that screwed right on, or you crafted your own; I wanna see 'em!

Thanks guys.
'86 NQ-50 IN PROGRESS. STAY TUNED
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Re: Stock mirror alternatives

Post by Eft37 »

stubbies

$20 via VT Cycles
RustyShackelford
BMX
BMX

Those are really nice.

C'mon guys, post 'em.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

RustyShackelford wrote:Those are really nice.
C'mon guys, post 'em.
Not much out there. After all, mirrors are to look "through" not "at". I do have one set of chrome round mirrors, but the arms don't extend out enough to make them truly functional. So I replaced them with some solid black ones that are taller and able to see what's behind.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
RustyShackelford
BMX
BMX

Lunytune wrote:
RustyShackelford wrote:Those are really nice.
C'mon guys, post 'em.
Not much out there. After all, mirrors are to look "through" not "at". I do have one set of chrome round mirrors, but the arms don't extend out enough to make them truly functional. So I replaced them with some solid black ones that are taller and able to see what's behind.
Well, yeah. I don't mean post wild-looking mirrors that don't do the job they're meant to, I just wanna see what's out there. I'm especially interested in "DIY"-type mirrors. If you made it yourself, I wanna see it!

Also, if anyone can't point me in the direction of some cool websites to check out, I'd really appreciate it.

THANKS!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

RustyShackelford wrote:I'm especially interested in "DIY"-type mirrors. If you made it yourself, I wanna see it!
I ran into a problem with my new Spree today which was created by somebody doing a DIY. When I bought the scooter, there was a really classy mirror, on one side, nothing on the other. The former owner pulled the mirror so we could load the scooter in the back of my minivan. When I got it home, I noticed the threads had been damaged. So here we go to the parts house to buy another tap to clean it up. Then I took a closer look at the threads on the DIY mirror. It wasn't 8mm, it was 5/16". I was lucky enough to be able to clean up the threads by tapping from the bottom and only because the damage wasn't deep.

I don't mind a guy doing a DIY, but please don't screw up the system so the next owner is unable to restore it. It's not a problem to find 8mm mirrors, but not so easy to find applicable mirrors in American thread.
RustyShackelford
BMX
BMX

Lunytune wrote:
RustyShackelford wrote:I'm especially interested in "DIY"-type mirrors. If you made it yourself, I wanna see it!
I ran into a problem with my new Spree today which was created by somebody doing a DIY. When I bought the scooter, there was a really classy mirror, on one side, nothing on the other. The former owner pulled the mirror so we could load the scooter in the back of my minivan. When I got it home, I noticed the threads had been damaged. So here we go to the parts house to buy another tap to clean it up. Then I took a closer look at the threads on the DIY mirror. It wasn't 8mm, it was 5/16". I was lucky enough to be able to clean up the threads by tapping from the bottom and only because the damage wasn't deep.

I don't mind a guy doing a DIY, but please don't screw up the system so the next owner is unable to restore it. It's not a problem to find 8mm mirrors, but not so easy to find applicable mirrors in American thread.
:? Good thing you were able to clean up the threads!
And thanks for bringing this up!
If I do end up having to pull a MacGyver, I definitely don't want to damage anything.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Didn't mean to throw water on your bonfire, but that was my frustration today. I have become somewhat like Wheelman. My shed has become an orphanage for wayfaring Hondas. The list of First Aid and Healings would be lengthy, but every scooter I own has required some TLC to get it running like I want it, and it is a never ending process to keep them going. We ride every day, and try to keep all of them servicable for family rallies. It's a full time job. :?
RustyShackelford
BMX
BMX

Lunytune wrote:Didn't mean to throw water on your bonfire, but that was my frustration today. I have become somewhat like Wheelman. My shed has become an orphanage for wayfaring Hondas. The list of First Aid and Healings would be lengthy, but every scooter I own has required some TLC to get it running like I want it, and it is a never ending process to keep them going. We ride every day, and try to keep all of them servicable for family rallies. It's a full time job. :?
Oh, no worries! Thanks for your input!
Yeah, maintenance is definitely an ongoing thing with these beautiful machines, and I'm loving every minute of it.

I don't know much, but I'm learning, and having a great time in the process.
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

My bike had mirrors with heads that stuck out and up quite a bit. I took my angle grinder and cut off the threaded portion and cut off 2-3" of stem and welded the stem back onto the threads at the appropriate angle You can barely see the welded area. I splashed the welds with aluminum paint and clear coat. I can see around them and that is how I like it. Pics on my signature.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

I can't see past those stubbies... :oops: