Polyethylene Painting - OK.. still working on it I guess?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Polyethylene Painting - OK.. still working on it I guess?

Post by novs86 »

Has anyone ever tried this stuff? I already know that regular paints don't adhere well to the floorboard and leg panels but what about dyes? It says it will adhere to ABS and PVC. Tell me what you think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBD-154- ... ccessories
Last edited by novs86 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
bryguyinuyasha
Noob
Noob

Re: Plastic Dye?

Post by bryguyinuyasha »

That would probably work. Remember the more you shift and move your floor board around the more its going to "crack" the paint. Mine is rubber, but I think this would work for it. I would go to your local auto parts store and just ask them what they would use. Home depo might be better too.
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

bryguyinuyasha wrote:That would probably work. Remember the more you shift and move your floor board around the more its going to "crack" the paint. Mine is rubber, but I think this would work for it. I would go to your local auto parts store and just ask them what they would use. Home depo might be better too.
That is why I asked about this dye... not paint. I know paints will crack. Most autoparts stores don't have experience with our plastics where this forum will. No offense bryguy but I am looking for people who may have used it or a similar product since we all can have opinions on whether it may or may not work.
Wheelman-111

Dying Polyethylene Plastic

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The caption says it penetrates polypropylene, but polyethylene is conspicuous by its absence. There may be something new under the sun, but so far I've never found anything that sticks to PE for long. Still, it may be worth a try.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Too $$$

Krylon Fusion and automotive grade plastic paint prep.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

noiseguy wrote:Too $$$

Krylon Fusion and automotive grade plastic paint prep.
I tried fusion on my first floor plastics and it did not hold. Yes I did use a U-pol brand paint prep I had. It just chipped off after 1 season.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Like I said, I don't believe anything -ever- sticks to polyethylene unless it's molded in. YMMV- do let us know if there's a way.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I had no problem with floorboards (and everything else) holding paint for several years on mine. That said, I didn't ride it that far, maybe 500 miles the whole time I owned it.

Auto paint prep, build primer, then about 7 coats of Fusion on the floorboard, 3-4 on everything else.

The paint should not be chipping. That indicates poor adhesion and by extension poor surface prep. Wear-through can be expected, no matter what you use.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

yrs. ago i did a permanent fix= diamond plate
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Plastic Dye? UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Post by novs86 »

A friend of mine had some in his garage and I tried it out. It will not stick to the floor or the leg panels. :roll:
Again this is what I tried that does not work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBD-154- ... ccessories

Like Wheelman said "it has to be able to adhere to polyethylene". I will try Krylon Fusion again. This time without the AP on these plastics. I for some reason think this may have been my issue. Since the AP didn't say it would bond to polyethylene maybe the Krylon Fusion never had a chance. It does however say on Krylons web site that it will stick to polyethylene.
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

noiseguy wrote:I had no problem with floorboards (and everything else) holding paint for several years on mine. That said, I didn't ride it that far, maybe 500 miles the whole time I owned it.

Auto paint prep, build primer, then about 7 coats of Fusion on the floorboard, 3-4 on everything else.

The paint should not be chipping. That indicates poor adhesion and by extension poor surface prep. Wear-through can be expected, no matter what you use.
But what if the build primer does not adhere to polyethylene? How does the Krylon Fusion have a chance?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Plastic Dye? UPDATE!!!!!!!

Post by noiseguy »

That's a good question. Answer is that I never had problems with the build primer adhering, or chipping when the plastic flexed. Odd, huh? Primer will often stick to stuff that nothing else will, and perhaps that's the answer. I still did all the same prep for the primer, and before final color coat.

I sanded between coats, obviously; I think final sand was something like 400 grit. 600 is better but I didn't see any sand marks on mine at 400. Sanding will pull the stuff up in sheets if adhesion is no good. Since I would still have plastic peeking through, and wanted the flex properties in the paint, I used Fusion paint rather than regular rattlecan. Seemed to work fine for me. I even build primered at least part of the footboards, as the sides were rashed up (not sure if I did the top surface or not.)
Admin, Hondaspree.net

novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

noiseguy wrote:That's a good question. Answer is that I never had problems with the build primer adhering, or chipping when the plastic flexed. Odd, huh? Primer will often stick to stuff that nothing else will, and perhaps that's the answer. I still did all the same prep for the primer, and before final color coat.

I sanded between coats, obviously; I think final sand was something like 400 grit. 600 is better but I didn't see any sand marks on mine at 400. Sanding will pull the stuff up in sheets if adhesion is no good. Since I would still have plastic peeking through, and wanted the flex properties in the paint, I used Fusion paint rather than regular rattlecan. Seemed to work fine for me. I even build primered at least part of the footboards, as the sides were rashed up (not sure if I did the top surface or not.)
Noiseguy we are still talking about the footboard and leg plastics right? The leg plastics on the Aero 50 are imprinted with a texture. You can't just sand them. Same with the footboard ...it can't be sanded either.

All the other body panels are made of ABS which would not have the same issues. You can sand and primer those .Krylon Fusion I'm sure would would adhere to those... no question.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The footboards on the Spree are only textured on top. The sides had a flat area that needed sanding. I don't know how to advise you on the textured plastics for your scooter; whether to primer or no. Obviously you can't sand it.

I need more info on the plastics involved, I guess; this is a weak area for me. The Spree side panel are a different material than the rest of the bike. Is the plastic used on the Spree floorboards the same as the plastic used for the floorboards on the Aeros / Elites? I thought that it was, now I'm not sure. I've had good luck primering / sanding both types of plastics on the Spree.

I'll need to deal with this myself in a bit; my '87 Elite has primer all over the front footboard and will need new paint there.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

He could however sand blast it. Very carefully, but it can be done.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree