Clutch Holding Tool

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Clutch Holding Tool

Post by Lunytune »

I bought a 3/8 impact wrench couple of months ago, but Wheelz put the fear into me about using it on variators and clutches, so I bought this dandy spanner pin wrench on vise grip frame.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0008
Made in Taiwan, but looks sturdy
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Clutch Holding Tool

Post by bakaracer »

I use this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=36778 along with a 1/2 drive breaker bar for the variator and a 18in long pipe 1/2in diameter with 2 bolts through it for the clutch.I used this method for over 16 years and its fast and good.
Last edited by bakaracer on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

dont really need those tool.

Just makita 3/8 impact gun 12v. should be fine with it. :mrgreen:
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Isn't impact only not recommended on front because it might tweak crank which is 2 pieces? Just be easy with 3/8 impact and don't use 1/2 inch impact on rear :D
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

Do Whatcha Wanna Do

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Not much to break whacking the clutch shaft. The crank on the other hand is pressed together and then trued by knocking it with hammers. Knocking it with an impact tool can put it out of true, if you axt me. Hold that Drive pulley however best works for you, but I'd avoid using engine compression alond as the recipient of those blows.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

i use a strap wrench on the oppisite side.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

odinxxix wrote:i use a strap wrench on the oppisite side.
Me and strap wrenches don't get along. That's why I opted for the spanner wrench. It's designed for the job. My daddy taught me many moons ago, don't use makeshift tools when there is a tool made for the job.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

e-impact both pulley nuts for over 3yrs with lots of tuning..

key is to mark reference point on nut and shafts, then match upon install
projects galore :nerd:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Do Whatcha Wanna Do

Post by Lunytune »

Wheelman-111 wrote:The crank on the other hand is pressed together and then trued by knocking it with hammers. Knocking it with an impact tool can put it out of true, if you axt me.
Wheelz, where did you read that "trued by knocking it with hammers"? Not a very professional or high tech way to true an engine. I've rebuilt split case Volkswagens and Corvairs, and both had alignment pins. So now I tinker with scooters with split cases, and this is the only place I've heard this.

On the other hand, an impact is not best way to set torque on a nut/bolt. We've had a case or two in this forum recently of guys stripping threads while trying to squeeze the belt higher. Also I've rebuilt umpteen rearends and you always set the pinion with a torque wrench, or you get a whine and stressed bearings.
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Lunytune wrote:Wheelz, where did you read that "trued by knocking it with hammers"? Not a very professional or high tech way to true an engine.
I've heard of this being done to true cranks that needed repair. Don't know if this was part of the actual manufacturing process by Honda-san though.
Last edited by Clivester on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Clivester wrote:
Lunytune wrote:Wheelz, where did you read that "trued by knocking it with hammers"? Not a very professional or high tech way to true an engine.
I've heard of this being done to true cranks that needed repair. Don't know if this was part of the actual manufacturing process by Honda-san though.
And your source? What is the procedure?
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Lunytune wrote:And your source? What is the procedure?
Here is a pretty good description. Mostly its done to solve run-out issues but can be done to align the flywheel radially too.

http://books.google.com/books?id=kuYFuU ... et&f=false
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Okay Clivester, that link helped some. I'm wading in deep muddy water here, but do believe I had the wrong understanding of the problem as well as the procedure. It's not the case halves that are being aligned, nor is the crank being trued (or knocke out if abused with air wrench). It's more an issue of the fly weights. Gotta think about this some more.
Wheelman-111

Big Farkling Hammers

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Luny axt:
Wheelz, where did you read that "trued by knocking it with hammers"? Not a very professional or high tech way to true an engine.
True, true but straight from Harley-Davidson Old Testament. Harleys also have single-pin, pressed-together cranks and the Faithful "adjust" them with Really Big Hammers. Then again, we also adjust our brakes, carburetors and mirrors with Really Big Hammers... :crazy:

I imagined after writing that Honda-san had a far more elegant way of ensuring true cranks during manufacturing, locating pins and jigs and the like. However those seeking absolute perfection still tinker and thwack.

Odin, about the only thing worse for the crank than using an impact wrench without restraining that side's rotation would be using a retaining device on the opposite side. :imo: Burnt, I agree indexing is a good idea, but wonder how you'd check for twist at the crankpin without splitting the cases. That and just how many times a crank pin can be subjected to this before it starts to rotate a few thousands of a degree. Obviously you and many others do use impacts with great results, but I prefer to take the extra time to pin down the side I'm working and apply the correct torque wrench twist. I started Flash II with a crankshaft trued to 0.002 and it stayed there until I sold the block. Call it my OCD. Anyone seen my Zoloft? :happy: YMMV.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Big Farkling Hammers

Post by Lunytune »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Odin, about the only thing worse for the crank than using an impact wrench without restraining that side's rotation would be using a retaining device on the opposite side.
Odin? Well, since my other screen name is Thor, I somewhat have an understanding of Mjolnir. :peace:
retaining device on the opposite side
Hondasan manual states the proper way to remove the variator is with by backing up the flywheel with the proper pin spanner tool, and they even give the part # for the tool. I've seen the Honda tool, and it is more of a plier design, whereas the one I bought in on a vise grip design. So then, if using a retaining device on the opposite side would be worse, somebody needs to recall and rewrite every Honda scooter manual in existence. I do notice that Hondasan has no tool or procedure for backing up with a tool on the parameter of the variator. So I feel comfortable in my purchase. But no impact. It can pull threads and overtorque.