The new guy here in need of some help...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Can't Get Right
Noob
Noob

The new guy here in need of some help...

Post by Can't Get Right »

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 1989 Honda Elite 50 pretty cheap and am looking to do some upgrades. It seems as though that everything performance related is for the 94 and up and that the 88-93 guys are struggling. I have searched around the forum some, but the threads that have any info on the AF05E either have broken links or are for the wrong version of my bike. The first thing I would like to buy is an exhaust as I heard this wakes them up and seems to be the best bang for the buck on a stock motor. Can someone help me out and get me a direct link to a correct pipe for my bike? Gears?

I'm looking to sustain 50 mph for a length of time if possible. I have already hit 39 mph according to my gps speedometer in stock trim but at WOT, so I need another 10 or so mph at nearly full throttle. Can you all help?

Thanks!
1989 Honda Elite 50
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Re: The new guy here in need of some help...

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Malossi gear upgrade and performance variator will do the trick. Someone here will follow with where to find it. hope this helps!
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

as far as i know when i was looking for gears you have to order the gears from malossi themselves.
but to run that 7.?.1 gear you need a powerfull big bore.

with any basic performance variator, a drilled exhaust pipe/air intake work, an up-jet, and a larger 90/90 or 3.5" rear tire you can hit about 45mph.

with a big bore and gears, guys on this site have acheived around i think mid 50s.

try the ebay store "daywot" for the big bore kit and var,i and malossi for the gears. and with all that change to the transmission make sure to buy a roller pack to tune it with.

good luck!
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
Can't Get Right
Noob
Noob

Thanks so far guys for the help. As far as Daywot, I have been looking but it seems that everything is for the 94 and up. I would love to find a big bore kit for my bike, but no luck so far. What gains can I get from just the variator? Can someone find me a link to check it out? Price?

Thanks again guys.
1989 Honda Elite 50
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Google MalossiUSA.com or somesuch. They have a pipe that fits the SE/05. Pricey but (Legend has it) good. Better to find some 10:1s from a 1987 SE50 Elite, along with your 90/90 rear tire. So equipped along with a Variator your scooter should top 45 easily, but 50 is doubtful.

Malossi also carries a very good bore kit, as does DayWot. The gears are Malossi part number 67-6458 but do not consider them without that big-bore and all the fixin's. My SE/05 GPSed at ~58+ but the gears made it a pig from 0-5MPH.

Once everything - especially carb jetting - is tuned, your top speed is your cruising speed. Engines wear down with time, but don't blow up just because your throttle is wide open.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
edgargonz
BMX
BMX

Post by edgargonz »

Can't Get Right wrote:Thanks so far guys for the help. As far as Daywot, I have been looking but it seems that everything is for the 94 and up. I would love to find a big bore kit for my bike, but no luck so far. What gains can I get from just the variator? Can someone find me a link to check it out? Price?

Thanks again guys.
The bore kit is on there for that motor I have bought two from him look closely, or just email him helpful guy.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Can't Get Right wrote:Thanks so far guys for the help. As far as Daywot, I have been looking but it seems that everything is for the 94 and up. I would love to find a big bore kit for my bike, but no luck so far. What gains can I get from just the variator? Can someone find me a link to check it out? Price?
Thanks again guys.
Let's make sure we're talking the same thing. 89-93 Elite with AF05E? Daywot has it. Need to write him and ask for it.
It's the Polini 119.0034, 6mm overbore. I've got one. Puts it up to about a 65cc.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Here's that bore kit. "Vision" is one Euro name for SE/05. No, it's not 70cc but 65, as Luny suggested. Nice kit, will run stronger with gasketless o-ringed head mod, but just fine as delivered.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Can't Get Right
Noob
Noob

Ok thanks. I just didn't see that it was for the 88-93's, I assumed it was for the 94 and up since it says 70cc. As far as installation, how difficult is it? I build cars, so I am not an idiot when it comes to turning wrenches, but I have never torn into a small engine before. Would there be any machine work needed or can I just bolt it together and go? What about the intake and carb, I can only assume I have to go bigger?
1989 Honda Elite 50
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

bolting on is easy,stock carb should be ok just have to up jet,and probably get a uni filter. cant remember about the head but most likely it will have to be opened up to match the bore size and piston. you could port the intake if you like to smooth it out. wheelman would prolly be better at letting you know if you need a bigger carb though.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Can't Get Right
Noob
Noob

Lunytune wrote:Let's make sure we're talking the same thing. 89-93 Elite with AF05E? Daywot has it. Need to write him and ask for it.
It's the Polini 119.0034, 6mm overbore. I've got one. Puts it up to about a 65cc.
I pulled that part number on Daywot site and this is the description it has...

"This listing is for one POLINI 65cc BIG BORE KIT (#119.0034) designed for the US model HONDA ELITE SE50 OR HONDA AERO NB50 (MODEL YEARS 1985-1987 ONLY) OR EUROPEAN MODELS VISION NE50, TACT, LEAD OR PEUGEOT ST."

It shows to only be for the 85-87? Is this still correct for my 89?
1989 Honda Elite 50
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

i beleive daywot means it will only fit the 1985-1987 span of the aeros, but ALL se50s.
the early aeros had a different setup and are not the same as your elite. that kit looks like the right one to me.
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
Can't Get Right
Noob
Noob

I just got this response from Daywot:

I do not carry a big bore kit for the Elite E however my Polini kit 119.0034 can be made to fit onto an Elite LX SA50.

I don't like the sound of made to fit.... what all would be involved?
1989 Honda Elite 50
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

you do not have an elite e and i do not think you have an lx sa50.
you should have an "se50" and that kit is compatable with it. your elite has a afo5e motor and that kit is for it.
Can't Get Right
Noob
Noob

This is what I have to clear any confusion:

1989 Honda Elite 50