protection

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

turtle13
Elite
Elite

protection

Post by turtle13 »

So with some recent development of the criminal persuasion here in my neck of the woods in KC i am upping my level of all the time personal protection to a knife of larger size and one that opens quicker. Most scooterists or fixed gear riders that i know either carry brass knuckles or a knife. It got me wondering, does any one else carry protection with them (especially while scooting), if so what do you carry?
until i upgrade, this is what i carry.
CRKT M16-01KZ
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: protection

Post by eliteguy50 »

turtle13 wrote:It got me wondering, does any one else carry protection with them (especially while scooting), if so what do you carry?
Not for protection, but because I like to be prepared, I always carry my Charge XTi and a mini maglite. This is the same reason that I keep a Buck Knives 119 under the seat of my truck, just a good $40 knife for random use.
turtle13 wrote:CRKT M16-01KZ
I used to carry the Gerber Evo (partially serrated), a lot like that CRKT. It is a great everyday knife. Unless you are really handy with that, I don't think it will do much. :imo: Most theives probably carry something that can overcome a 3" blade if they are to be considered a real threat.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

having studied bo-jitsu for 2 years...i really dont like knives/guns that sort of thing.
however, for repair purposes, i do have a long screwdriver under the seat(doesnt help much since i need the key to get it in a hurry)
honestly non-lethal martial arts should be a first option for self-defense.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

Handguns and knives, as many as I can carry.

If you are in Missouri or Kansas you should consider a concealed permit. No sense in waiting until a bad guy is within knife distance.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

the 'ol steel toe dr. martens are all I really need.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

My favorite tee-shirt transfer, worn on the back:

Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley!

Tay-Ax-Iss has issued concealed-carry permits since the early 90s. People have seemed more polite since then.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

elitedio wrote:Handguns and knives, as many as I can carry.

If you are in Missouri or Kansas you should consider a concealed permit. No sense in waiting until a bad guy is within knife distance.
funny you should say that. i am trying to line up a class here as soon as possible to beat the possible change in legislation making it much harder to get one. not that i would ever use it, but it is nice to know that legally i can...
KC is not that high of crime rate, but with some recent reoccurring criminal act keeps happening in my neck of the woods (brookside/waldo area), i can honestly say that my shot gun is out of the safe, in case a certain individual comes knocking on my door again... it has scared my fiance' and i a little, and made me a little more edgy and sensitive of my surroundings, hence now carrying my knife at all times. Normally my knife is mainly only kept on me when riding.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I am not sure how it would work on a motorcycle but if you are in your car in Missouri, you don't need a permit to carry while in your car.

Around here in NEMo, the biggest problem is Meth. Those idiots can be zombies. Tonight the guns came out when the dogs cornered an opossum. 9mm hollow points to the head made him play opossum forever.

Just read where a man went into a farm store with an AR in Illinois. No one there had a weapon as it is against the law. He ran people ragged, they were at his mercy. Luckily he did not kill anyone.

I wouldn't disagree with anyone knowing hand to hand combat but I am almost 60 and and my options are limited.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Tay-Ax-Iss has issued concealed-carry permits since the early 90s. People have seemed more polite since then.
Oh, so that is why...I was on the job with a co-worker in Texas once and a .44 was in the glove box when I looked for a map (company car) I gave her a look (as her trainer) she told me it was for armadillos.
elitedio wrote:I wouldn't disagree with anyone knowing hand to hand combat but I am almost 60 and and my options are limited.
Very true, but don't forget about the limited range.

You could always try this method.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth the very Senior EliteDio:
I wouldn't disagree with anyone knowing hand to hand combat but I am almost 60 and and my options are limited.
I'm close to your age and fondly remember something The Bear posted once; something to the effect of:
It would be unwise to pick a fight with an old guy. If he's too tired to fight you, he might just kill you...
Fortunately, despite my Rampant Scooter-Straddling Geekiness, I have not been in that situation lately, but I keep that philosophy in mind if I'm ever confronted.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

drizzle wrote:the 'ol steel toe dr. martens are all I really need.
I'm gettin too old for that stuff. Got a 45 and CCW. I don't carry it around our small town but when I go to the city.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

If I knew ahead of time when and where I would need my gun, I just wouldnÔÇÖt go there, then. But I canÔÇÖt and donÔÇÖt, so I always carry.

Either this

or this.

If I have to use a knife I have done something very, very wrong.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

The only protection I cary with me is:

But then again I live in a small east coast college town where my biggest worry is some dumb 20-something not watching where their driving.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Fishman43 wrote:But then again I live in a small east coast college town where my biggest worry is some dumb 20-something not watching where their driving.
Yeah. Must admit, something wrong about a guy worried about needing a gun or knife to ward off danger when the greatest danger is riding a two wheel scooter, max weight 150 plus rider, in amongst 4 wheel vehicles ranging from 3000 to 80,000 lb and driven by idiots who would say, "I didn't see him". So now can I pull my 45 and shoot the driver. :coolcruise:
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Lunytune wrote:max weight 150 plus rider,
Not on the new ones :( That is my favorite part of riding a spree, you can pull the nose off the ground at any speed and jump a curb or flee from a Range Rover...whatever you want to call it.
Fishman43 wrote:...my biggest worry is some dumb 20-something not watching where their driving.
We had a problem with some dumb twenty-something (21) not watching his drinking and beating someone to death...That helmet probably would help in that situation too.