Which is the best motor for 88 Elites?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

seansusername
Noob
Noob

Which is the best motor for 88 Elites?

Post by seansusername »

Hello, new to the forums and stoked to find your guys. A friend and I are going to look at some 88 Elites tomorrow and from browsing the forums it looks like there is a less desirable motor in some of them. Any help? Also whats a fair price to offer for these bad boys? Its a pair of red ones with 14xx miles on each.
Attachments
elite.jpg
elite.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

Re: Which is the best motor for 88 Elites?

Post by Flea_Biskit »

you want a 94 to 01 elite those are the pre good ones still good but not as optional upgrade path, if thats the plan. parts are harder to find
Ride it like you stole it'
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It's sort of hard to tell from your pic, but those look like Elite "E"s, which have a completely different engine - non-variated -from the regular Elite 50. Both were built in 1988. The "E" models are Spree-based and good for 30 maximum in stock form. (or so I've read...) The Elite LX, Elite S (unrestricted), and Elite SR models run at least 35 if healthy, but that doesn't tell the whole story. The variators on those AF05 blocks make a considerable difference in the rate of acceleration, as in "keeping up with car traffic" vs. "being a traffic cone".

If you don't see the Elite "E" stickers anywhere, check the kickstarter. The Sprees and "E"s kick forward. Also look for the Manufacturer's Tag on the frame. If it says SB50, it's a Spree-based "E" model and not as valuable or modifiable. The engine code on the transmission cover is no help. It says AF05E, just like the variated models. (I've concluded that 5 was Honda=san's lucky number. :) )

That said, beloved Sprees and "E" models are very light, nimble and have the reliability of forged anvils within their limitations. Likely much less thirsty on fuel too.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
seansusername
Noob
Noob

Post by seansusername »

Thanks for the quick replys! Your info will for sure help me see what im getting into. If they are not the E model I'll have to see what we can talk them down to. He posted them up as 750 each and there is no way i was paying that from the get go, but looks like now im going even cheaper than i thought. For non E models would these be worth 550 even? I saw on the classifieds here that cheaper ones come up a bunch often with easy problems. Just got moped fever, but I wanna make sure i get a decent ped and dont pay too much. Thanks again.
Wheelman-111

EElite Eessues

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

On closer inspection, the one on the Right definitely looks like an E. Straight-leg front fork is the give-away. Can't see the scooter on the Left's fork as clearly, but its bodywork looks E-ish.

Your price question: The main factor in sale prices seems to be cosmetic condition. Many a running non-E Elite has sold for $550 or more, even with the less desirable pre-1994 SE/05 engines. Nice Sprees and E models typically sell for $400 or so. That said, the value to you is primarily determined by what it is you want to do with this machine. For example, I don't care to purchase an E or Spree model at almost any price because my daily routes require a minimum of 40 MPH and quick acceleration. You however may not need that much performance where you live & ride. (This assertion omits the situation where one might have a built engine ready to mount, needing only a frame. In that case, I'd pay a couple hundred for a cosmetically nice E model with a grenaded engine.)

If they're both E models, their appearance suggests that a patient seller could get $400 or even $500 from the right buyer.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
seansusername
Noob
Noob

Post by seansusername »

Wow, so much info and really fast replies, thanks! I guess it will be a big fat pass on these then. I need a moped that goes at least 40 and would love modding it up to go even faster. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for a better one, really want one by summer.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

seansusername wrote:Wow, so much info and really fast replies, thanks! I guess it will be a big fat pass on these then.
When I read that ad last week, I laughed. Saturday is not the first time they have posted that ad. They are both elite E and way overpriced.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
seansusername
Noob
Noob

Post by seansusername »

Is there any secret besides patience to finding a good one? I see some of these deals but they are all no where near me. I'll even rock one of the ones with the pink floor boards! Haha
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

seansusername wrote:Is there any secret besides patience to finding a good one? I see some of these deals but they are all no where near me. I'll even rock one of the ones with the pink floor boards! Haha
Honda calls them something else (some kind of purple) but if it is all pink, that is just another elite E. Check ebay and CL, sometimes the local classifieds will even turn something up. You can put up wanted ads.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

It all depends on what you want. The Elite E is not the fastest or most powerful but serviceable. My first 50 was an "E", and my wife loves it. It ran well for a season and cratered toward the end of the season last year. It is getting a bbk, with 4cc overbore. Wife likes it, so I'll keep it.

Price is way out of line. I paid $500 and was inexperienced at it. I wouldn't pay over $400 if I had it to do over.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes