I might do the unthinkable...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

dr.ona
Spree
Spree

I might do the unthinkable...

Post by dr.ona »

Sell all 6 of my Honda Sprees and get 2 Honda Metropolitans.
I test drove a Metropolitan today and I gotta admit I do like that is is bigger and quieter not to mention faster.

This is really got me mixed up inside...I love the Sprees...unique in todays scooter riding. I see a ton of the Metropolitans in Portland...they all look the same....but they just feel/ride modern... Kinda like owning a 1986 automobile and owning a 2009 automobile.

Anyone have any thoughts on owning a Metropolitan?
What's the good vs bad?

Thanks peeps...

Robert
"I can't drive......35!"
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: I might do the unthinkable...

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

dr.ona wrote:Sell all 6 of my Honda Sprees and get 2 Honda Metropolitans.
:shock: :surprise: :*:

Did crack just now make its way to Portland and you got some free or something? Just say no to crack, dude. Nancy Reagan thanks you in advance.
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:

Did crack just now make its way to Portland and you got some free or something? Just say no to crack, dude. Nancy Reagan thanks you in advance.
ha..ha...thanks man :smile:

Here's the problem with owning 6 Sprees...

Registration and insurance adds up...
Batteries, tires, cleaning....X6!!!
Takes up half of the garage...

I need to be talked out of this...
"I can't drive......35!"
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

As Mr macky from south park would say.... "Children..Drugs are Bad...MMM'Kay.." :nerd:

Now as far as sellin ALLLLLLLLL 6..thats drastic man! :crazy: keep atleast one. I mean C'mon, We spree owners all got a piece of legendary History in our garage, shed, or * ever ya store it in. (maybe a vw bus on blocks down yonder....do what ya can with what ya got! :thumbwink: lol) But i'd keep atleast one. :imo:
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

i'm w/ mustangz. keep at least one. and honestly, i've seen metros for around $800 on CL.
so, sell 2 of yours for $400 a piece and you got your metro(sell 4 and get enough for 2 metros and still have 2 sprees)
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

dr.ona wrote: ha..ha...thanks man :smile:

Move to North Carolina. Registration & insurance for as many Sprees as you can find is a grand total of $0. Plus, wife can ride around topless legally, and you can open carry a handgun in a holster. While topless, if you prefer!

I'm kinda missing North Carolina a little bit.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

SHAWEEEET!! Topless Gun Toting Chics on spree's..

i kno where i'm takin my 2 week paid vacation this year!! WOOOOO!! lol

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
05 vinson
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

dr.ona wrote: ha..ha...thanks man :smile:

Move to North Carolina. Registration & insurance for as many Sprees as you can find is a grand total of $0. Plus, wife can ride around topless legally, and you can open carry a handgun in a holster. While topless, if you prefer!

I'm kinda missing North Carolina a little bit.
OMG that's AWESOME! :surprise:
"I can't drive......35!"
TURN1
Spree
Spree

Post by TURN1 »

I owned a Honda Metropolitan. Heavy and slow=) Based on the Ruckus frame and DIO Z4. You can actually bolt on the Ruckus subframe and have a half faired Ruckus, haha.

Go for it and throw on a 150cc GY6 Fatty conversion.

For the Retro look, the Yamaha VINO 2001-2005 2 stroke version is WAY better. The 2 stroke VINO comes with the same engine found on the JDM Yamaha ZR EVOLUTION JOG :worship:

I would sell them all. The Metropolitan has better resale value. You can always find a cheapo SPREE :thumbsup:
Last edited by TURN1 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pass on the ALOHA Spirit!!!
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

You gotta keep your spree army!

If you're really upset about the Met's being faster get one of tazzland's kits (bore + gears). As for considering their quietness a good thing... :crazy:

And for my last point...this site. Totalruckus is cool, but its totally different than here. If you want to see some really awesome ways to pour $1,000's into those Metros thats the place to be!
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

devenex wrote:You gotta keep your spree army!

If you're really upset about the Met's being faster get one of tazzland's kits (bore + gears). As for considering their quietness a good thing... :crazy:

And for my last point...this site. Totalruckus is cool, but its totally different than here. If you want to see some really awesome ways to pour $1,000's into those Metros thats the place to be!
you got taz's kit? Gears and bbk? What kinda top speed you gettin? I got 35 (true 35 too) and mine was stock other than the 80/90 rear tire.

Currently gettin BBK'd. gotta do head at work tomorrow!

05 vinson
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

devenex wrote:If you want to see some really awesome ways to pour $1,000's into those Metros thats the place to be!
I'm astounded that Honda in the US can find enough people that will drop $2k on a 50cc Metro that even makes it worth selling them here. Honda produces *FAR* superior machines in other markets (India, etc), that cost less than half that and get double the fuel economy. I don't understand how they are getting away with the low quality/high price these days for showroom merch. Are people really THAT stupid? (Rhetorical question...of course, they are.)
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

devenex wrote:You gotta keep your spree army!

Thanks for the advice/encouragement...the Metro felt solid...unlike the Spree when you hit a pothole.
I dunno...maybe I'm having temporary insanity....sigh.... :?
"I can't drive......35!"
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I'd do as someone else suggested and sell half the sprees to clear some garage space, and get one Met to satisfy your curiosity.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

If you are looking at used units, I think it was anything before '06 had crank bearing problems (bad oil) and any year met 2 will be similar to the spree in top end so stay with met one.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.