Coating the gas tank

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Coating the gas tank

Post by Scooterspal »

I have my gas tank soaking in CLR as I type this and I plan to coat the cleaned take with Master Series Silver Rust Sealer in a day or so.

Question... Is there an easy way to remove the plastic screen/filter tube? I believe it is inserted from the outside. Is is just pressed in or threaded in?

Thanks!
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Re: Coating the gas tank

Post by gfisher99 »

I would like to see this explained as well. I took my petcock off the other day and was going to remove the fuel strainer, but I couldnt see how was best to do it. I have heard people say "carefully pry it out". A more detailed explanation would be great. Things such as what tool to use, etc would be awesome. Mine looks like someone has fought with it before. A little chewed up.

Thanks,
Greg
1986 Spree w/Taz 44mm BBK
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

huh mine just fell out when i cleaned my tank. but i think a thin flat screwdriver or wooden dowel would be eniugh to pull it out.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

I tried prying on mine a bit with a flat head screwdriver, but I didnt put too much pressure on it because I didnt want to break it. Seems mine is stuck in there pretty good. I will give it another shot.
1986 Spree w/Taz 44mm BBK
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Try taking a wooden dowl rod and a small hammer and tapping it DOWN out from up top.. thats how i got mine. They're sticky in there..i to hadda rough time. Prolly juts all rusted in there. mine was. i had to clean the s*** outta mine, then i ended up buyin one from martynkim.
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

I use a flat screw driver at the bottom a pry just enough to get the lip out. Then I use needle nose to pull the rest of the way.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

Here is what I found...

First, the filter tube is installed from the outside. There is a thin lip around the bottom that keeps it from going in any further than flush with the bottom of the threaded drain. This same diameter filter tube is used on many Honda bikes of this era. The main difference being the length of the tube.

Second, the tube is made of rather soft plastic so hitting it from the top (inside the tank) will only serve to either break or bend it.

The best way to remove it is to first drip some WD40 around the outside lip and allow that to
soak into and around the plastic. Do this several times for a good soak.

Then, take a 1/4 x 20 bolt and threaded this into the filter. It will just catch the inside of the base of the plastic and will do no harm.

Try gently attempt to then pull the filter out. It should come out rather easily at this point. If it does not remove the bolt.

Take a cotton swab and wipe the inside of the base of the tube with alcohol to remove any contaminants.

Take some rubber cement or silicone cement and wrap a good amount around the bottom inch of the bolt and re-thread into the tube. Let sit for several hours.

Try pulling on the bolt now. The tube should come out. You can clean the cement off by soaking the tube in acetone.