Water + Exhaust = FAIL

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Water + Exhaust = FAIL

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I was riding today and hit a puddle in the road. Not a pothole, just a puddle, and the huge splash of water not only got my pants and shoes soaked, but busted my exhaust. what gives?

I swear I'm ready to eBay this bike and start it at a dollar with no reserve, it's becoming a hole in the ground I throw money into. Sure it has a bullet proof motor, but * everything else is falling apart.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Water + Exhaust = FAIL

Post by Bear45-70 »

Well, two reason come to mind real quick. Hot exhaust pipe gets doused by a bunch of cold water (comparatively) and the pipe changes temp real fast, which metal does not do well. Then there is the density and surface tension thing. Water is 15 times denser than air and when you add surface tension it even worse than that. This makes water have major force compared to air. If you are doing a ditching maneuver with an airplane and you have the choice of water or dirt, always choose the dirty, it's a lot softer. One of the rules of riding any 2 wheeled vehicle, "stay away from puddles", they can hurt or kill you and any damage is just extra expense for no additional charge..
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

That is why some smart dude invented the cheap wirefeed flux core welder!
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i would say it was the temperature change. Similar to heating glass and dipping it in cold water and it will crack or shatter. Although i don't think it should have done that anyway. It may have been time for a new muffler anyway

did it break a weld, or what? pics?