New toy... 81 Express SR

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

New toy... 81 Express SR

Post by wikked_spree57 »

so I got it. I was displeased by the amount of body damage but all the needed parts were included.

To my surprise, the lights are rigged but work well, and it has a K and N air filter(smilar anyways) and it runs great with it, a little rich even. Does like 26-ish with me on it. Look at tht poor muffler! I had $20 in the laptop, so was it worth it?

1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: New toy... 81 Express SR

Post by martynkim »

yes! :wink:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
workdog
Spree
Spree

Post by workdog »

Nice!
83 Honda Aero 80
Honda Aero80 and Aero50 parts for sale cheap.
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =2&t=15095
My Aero50 engine swap:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 16&t=13021
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

This thing dont feel like the CVT works at all. It picks up speed just like a regular single speed express. Going to tear down tomorrow and have a look at the transmission.

I didn't realize till I went to put gas in it that the oil tank is missing and it was premixed... *.

it sure needs work, but it runs OK otherwise.
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

A stock airbox will really liven it up! It will run but one day.......... It will be hard starting and bog. I assume the weaather is fair today where you are. :nervous:
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I see this. I put 12 miles on it tonight without a problem, but it lacks power.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Looked on a few parts sites as well as ebay, no air boxes to be found! d***...

Will a box from any other express work?
Woodencardboard
BMX
BMX

Post by Woodencardboard »

I like the bungee cord exaust mount! That thing looks awsome.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

It's done that way because the ear where it mounts to the block has a huge crack in it. It's ready to break off. At least the 15 year old kid was smart enough to do a bit of preventative maintenance.

since I got the body parts, I'd like to get the rest of the mechanical parts I need to fix it. According to martynkim who is right so far, parts for this thing are worth a lot of money and are harder to find then a needle in a haystack, especially the air box.

Good for me, this project will have a challenge to it ;)

So anyone know if any other Express airboxes will work? I have one on the shelf in the garage at my parents from a 78 Express (spare for my dad's moped he almost never rides but won't sell me, i love it).

If anyone finds any tricks for parts on these things let me know, if you locate an airbox for a fair price (under $50 incl. shipping) there may be a finders fee in it for you.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I like the Express SR and was looking to get one a while back. It was pretty neat to me - Honda dropped spoked wheels for what would become the norm - 10" 3 spoke steel wheels. They put in the variator, and the legshield. The SR was not around long, but pioneered some parts which the successful 83/84 Aero utilized or expanded upon.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Awesome looking bike when restored. Just sold one. Very hard to find parts and when you do $$$$$!!!!!
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Tore the carb down today, seems to be jetted for open air. it has a 78 main and the carb's throat is half that of a spree. makes me wonder if a dinky little Spree carb would make something come alive?? lol...

I got it running better, it's kinda hard to start when warm but cold it takes right off. It seems to like to backfire out the tailpipe instead of starting warm.

Plug chops turn out perfect also, running a BR10ES in it.

i put it up on CL to see if I gt any offers for it. i replaced most of the busted plastic today:

eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Here is one with some pics of how it could look: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/m ... 88159.html
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

Yeah, I'd say you got your $20 out of it.
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I could have not asked for a better day. Walked outside and one kick, took right off. all the problems from yesterday, gone.

Used my friend's tools to work on the trans. Turns out the rollers were solid and heavy as s***, so I took two out and left four in. Holy crap! Now instead of 24ish mph, im looking at something like 28-29. And it takes off pretty good for as much as I weigh, was actually able to hit the trails and climb a few hills!

If it stays this way, I'm keeping it for a while.