Doing what i never thought i would...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Doing what i never thought i would...

Post by mustangwagz »

Well..its official.. the spree is goin up for sale..yes..FOR SALE..

gonna advertise locally. i've got 3 guys at work who have dibs on it, if they dont want it..CL it will be!!

Reason for doing so..i bought a 1990 yamaha XT350 Dual sport. got a good deal on it, couldnt pass it up.

Bigger, Faster, hauls 2 ppl, and only cost 5 bucks more to insure under full coverage. This is the type of bike i've always wanted so ill be happy for a while i figure.

I remember when i first got my spree though.. *Flash-back* it was sitting next to a free sofa in soem doods yard with a "FREE" sign on it..

Few month later, after a few hundred bucks, and numerous man hours, its complete..other than seat lock which is Supposedly in the mail..and the * cover which fishman is still working on. Runs good, Looks good and has a new top end along with a sparkly clean tank, carb, new belt, brakes, rear tire, racks, lights, etc etc.

whoever buys it will be happy with it i'm sure. i will keep getting on here though, i just CANT forget about this site. lol Now if only i can find a site like this one, devoted to the xt...but its not lookin good so far..

when i sell it, imma make sure i write down this sites address and instruct the buyer to MAKE AN ACCOUNT!!!!!!!

anyhow, figured i'd let yinz know..
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: Doing what i never thought i would...

Post by zuphilius »

Nice buy.

I am still a member on TotalRuckus (member #12) and I haven't owned a Ruckus for 4 years. I pop in from time to time to check the "scene".

I'm sure all will say don't be a stranger!!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

I rode a XT200 all thru college. Those XTs were great dual purpose bikes and very decent mileage from the xt200 I had. I bet you will like it alot although a totally different animal than a scooter.
1985 spree 49cc offsets my
1969 mustang w/390 big block
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

WEll got pictures today of the XT i bought...and of a newly aquired toy i was given.. :-D..

Heres the xt. New sprockets and chain on their way, along with oil filter. enduro tires will be on front tomorrow. gonna do rear once i get a new sprocket..so i aint gotta tear wheel off twice. lol Found a couple gaskets i wanna replace as well..got some seeping goin on..dont need it lockin up!! lol

now..here's my new toy. 78 tomos moped. the guys on mopedarmy.com said this is one of the better peds in the 30mph class. It needs rings and a throttle cable, along with the boot that connects carb to the air box..30 bux shipped, TADAH!! (keep in mind i got this FREE) so 30 bux is good!! :-D

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
05 vinson
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

All very cool, why not keep them all. I could never have just one bike. You will reget it in the end...... :wink:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

martynkim wrote:All very cool, why not keep them all. I could never have just one bike. You will reget it in the end...... :wink:
x2
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Bandit240
Spree
Spree

Post by Bandit240 »

Ive got a Yamaha XT600. Great bikes. Ive found that advrider.com has a pretty good following for the thumpers. Also look up the HUBB, there is a forum that is pretty much devoted to yamaha dual sports there also.

Heres mine
1986 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
1991 Yamaha XT600
1993 Honda Elite 80
2001 Honda Elite 50
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Cool! i would like to have a 600, but after ridin this 350 for a few days, i dont see why i'd need it. this thing got enough balls and runs good. just gotta few oil seeps i wanna fix before i do anything else. also orderd new chain n sprockets

05 vinson
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

cool looking XTs! My xt200 was red and gave me great service all during college. Got pretty good mileage too. Got in alot of trouble around campus on that thing. :thumbwink:
1985 spree 49cc offsets my
1969 mustang w/390 big block
Bandit240
Spree
Spree

Post by Bandit240 »

Seeping oil seems to be a common issue with these things. As nice as the 600 is for on the road, its a bit much off road. If you really want to ride a trail, its a major workout to hold this monster up. Plus its a major bear to pick up once it hits the ground.

Clean up that 350 and give it a set of good dual sport tires, and you've got a cool little around town and woods bike. I would trade mine for a newer, smaller bike if it was for the fact that i ride with a buddy with a CB550 and VFR700.
1986 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
1991 Yamaha XT600
1993 Honda Elite 80
2001 Honda Elite 50
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

I love the Tomos. I had a tricked-out one back in the day. Mine was chrome, and I put an expansion chamber on it (custom made). It gets better. I spoked aluminum bicycle rims into the stock hubs and put snake belly tires on it. This way it revved quick (less rotating mass). Then I had a full fairing and clip on bars on it. Dan Hanebrink (famous in the day) helped me trick it out. I didn't always run the fairing though as I liked the basic drag bars too. Eventually mine cracked at the bottom of the tank and wouldn't hold gas.

RZ Rob
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

You should keep the Spree for your own good times, no need to trade it in.

Either way, the first run of petcock covers SHOULD be done this week and out for testing so look for them for yours, or tell the buyer they are on the way.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

WEllll..update on my xt. Stopped the sidecase leak, changed oil, put dual sport tires on it. new chain, sprocket, brakes..all the esentials. got like 200 miles on it (in like a week?) and noticed it was still seapin some oil..only this time..from the magneto side.. SO, looked at xploded view and found its gotta be crank seal.. lol it musta sat for a bit assumingly. SO anyhow, got a new one on friday, ordered a flywheel puller for it and am waiting on it..

While i had the side case off, i tore clutchs out, stacked the pack, and measured them..they're below service limit so i dunno HOW THE * they aint slippin, so to avoid any problems i ordered NEW Barnett clutchs for it and gotta free gasket thrown in!! :-D OHhhh yah! lol other than the crank seal and tore up seat cover..its SHAWEEET! me and my woman took a 55 mile ride on it on friday after work. stoppin occasionally to check the sight glass for low oil. Bike Runs freakin great. Pulls the both of us around at 65 mph with no problem. Gonna get me some bark busters for once i get it out on the trail...those things R worth their weight in gold if ya ask me..saved my * numerous times on the sport quad.

NOW, as for selling the spree.. I can say this...CL is a * joke.. so tomorrow, i'm loadin it in the truck and taking it to the local bike show downtown. Gonna stop by the General store on way in and get me some FO' SALE signs and cruise around the bike show on it.. IF that dont work, try the local newspaper classifieds...and when that doesnt work..i dunno * ill do. haha

Only reason imma sell it is to replace the money from savings that i used.. Ole lady gave me * for doin it so...yah. She aint happy..aint no one happy.. (here at my household anyhows..) lol Sure some can relate on that perspective.

Anyways..ill get some pictures n keep yinz updated.

05 vinson
crime_spree
BMX
BMX

Post by crime_spree »

I'm on here buddy! It runs good. Been having a lot of fun with it. Drove it about 150 miles already haha.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

mustangwagz wrote:WEllll..update on my xt. Stopped the sidecase leak, changed oil, put dual sport tires on it. new chain, sprocket, brakes..all the esentials. got like 200 miles on it (in like a week?) and noticed it was still seapin some oil..only this time..from the magneto side.. SO, looked at xploded view and found its gotta be crank seal.. lol it musta sat for a bit assumingly. SO anyhow, got a new one on friday, ordered a flywheel puller for it and am waiting on it..

While i had the side case off, i tore clutchs out, stacked the pack, and measured them..they're below service limit so i dunno HOW THE * they aint slippin, so to avoid any problems i ordered NEW Barnett clutchs for it and gotta free gasket thrown in!! :-D OHhhh yah! lol other than the crank seal and tore up seat cover..its SHAWEEET! me and my woman took a 55 mile ride on it on friday after work. stoppin occasionally to check the sight glass for low oil. Bike Runs freakin great. Pulls the both of us around at 65 mph with no problem. Gonna get me some bark busters for once i get it out on the trail...those things R worth their weight in gold if ya ask me..saved my * numerous times on the sport quad.

NOW, as for selling the spree.. I can say this...CL is a * joke.. so tomorrow, i'm loadin it in the truck and taking it to the local bike show downtown. Gonna stop by the General store on way in and get me some FO' SALE signs and cruise around the bike show on it.. IF that dont work, try the local newspaper classifieds...and when that doesnt work..i dunno * ill do. haha

Only reason imma sell it is to replace the money from savings that i used.. Ole lady gave me * for doin it so...yah. She aint happy..aint no one happy.. (here at my household anyhows..) lol Sure some can relate on that perspective.

Anyways..ill get some pictures n keep yinz updated.
Well its not the crank seal, i replaced that. rode it a few days and kept an eye on the oil leak, it still exists...took me a while to figure it out but i just did today.. Seems as though when it was assembled at the mold factory, they plugged 3 holes in the case with a babbit/poris looking sealer agent.. i scratched at the 3 * protruding from the block, and to my surprise, they poped right off!! HOLY f*** i though, great..llol NOW *. So now the * are flush with the case.. i now have to decide..shall i smear jb weld on them and hope for best? or do i try drilling them stuff outta them, tapping the holes and then thread sealing them with set screws and thread sealer? i may just tear my parts motor apart and see * is goin on inside to try and get a better idea of what my options are.. hoping i aint gotta tear whole * motor apart..

Yinz think i can successfully JB the holes over and not have them leak? or will the heat cause the aluminum to move expand and contrast to much and make them leak?

05 vinson