would you buy this for $75?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

oldrock
Goped
Goped

would you buy this for $75?

Post by oldrock »

Saw an add on craigs today for a 84 spree. Guy said bike would start but battery died so he tried to jump it with a high amperage 12volt power supply and fried the starter. almost everything was there except battery, oil tank cover and air filter insert. Plastic was cracked in a couple places and some tabs were broken but otherwise all there. All cables worked and signals, horn brake light all work. Hand cranking engine so not stuck and could feel compression although no idea what compression. The price was $75. So what would you guys do? I just got my 85 spree running a week or so ago but the entire family is having a ball riding it around so a second spree would be cool. I know pics help alot so here are a couple.

1985 spree 49cc offsets my
1969 mustang w/390 big block
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Re: would you buy this for $75?

Post by PimpinSpree »

pretty clean, if the motor was shot, and you decided you didn't want to fix it, you can easily make some money selling some parts

so its a pretty safe gamble
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Giver, There is hundreds in parts in $75 spree! I used to jump my spree off big stuff all the time with no issues. He must have reversed the cables or somthing. Amperage ratings are how much currnent is available should the motor require it. Maybe he overdid it with the voltage that might cook somthing, or AC instead of DC who knows. As long as the rest of the electrical isnt fried then all is good, even if it is might be worth fixing if the parts required are cheap enough. I would kill for a $75 spree for parts like wheels and a spare exhaust. Look at it this way, a brand new spree exhaust is around 75 80 bucks from Jiang wayne so I don't think you can go wrong. And if it has a petcock cover you are really golden...lol
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

no petcock cover but most everything else was there and the good news was no rust to speak of! I did buy it by the way but just checkin with the experts to see if it was a wise choice or mistake to get one without it running. I figured for $75, it was worth it if only for extra parts. Course I am planning on getting it fixed and running if possible. I looked over the starter motor and saw it had a burned out copper wire. Just for fun, I pulled out a matching gauge piece of copper wire and carefully soldered it in place with high temp solder. Put the starter motor together and fed it 12 volts and sure enough it spun. So bolted it back in place and unfortunately it isn't turning the motor over. Either it isn't making enough power to kick out the starter mechanism or maybe something is missing but I haven't pulled the left side cover yet to see if everything is there. Anyone know how fast that starter motor should be spinning?
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Very nice buy! worth every penny.

You will find everything you need right here on the forum

See what they sell for around me http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/1767221973.html

You just need more voltage take the good battery out of the other spree and try it then.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

that would be cool if that is all it was. I will try my good battery tomorrow and see if it works with it. Going to be fun seeing if I can get this $75 gamble running. At this point, I'd just be happy if a good battery will get it to crank. :wink:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

If it was 12 volts, it will not fry the starter. A direct short will fry wiring, but I question the starter problem. Something else knocked the starter.

Bottom line is, it is worth $75. Cracks can be repaired. Use ABS glue or PVC glue and reinforce with layer of fiberglass on back side. mop the plastic, lay your patch of fiberglass on it, and then dob more glue on it (don't try to stroke it or it will pull it back off.)

Value? I gave $350 for one running and in good shape, bad battery. Kick started for the test drive. After a season though, compression went South. That's the way it goes though. Scooters can become a money pit, regardless. There are no guarantees.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes