A few questions...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

cooter69
BMX
BMX

A few questions...

Post by cooter69 »

First off... How long can you hold on the throttle without not blowing it up? Example would be like going half throttle for a long distance...Is that ok for it? Also how long should you hold wide open throttle without hurting the motor?

Also my speedometer doesnt work. I took the screw out on the bottom of the front wheel, pulled out the cable, and there looks to be like a flat edged screw driver mechanism, how can I tell if that is the problem? Any common problems that I should look for, I don't know where to start.

Anywhere that I can get seat cover materials in the correct color? Also anywhere I can get touch up paint?

Any special oil I should run?

Is a bent rim in the rear bad to run it like that?

My throttle has alot of slack before it starts to go, as in I can twist it quite a bit before it even starts to get off the idle cycle. How can I fix this because I like to sometimes cruise slow, and I can't because when the thottle kicks in, I'm going way to fast.

Also what is the difference in the Elite "e" and other models?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for all the questions, I'm learning.
Jeff
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: A few questions...

Post by mr pibbs »

cooter69 wrote:First off... How long can you hold on the throttle without not blowing it up? Example would be like going half throttle for a long distance...Is that ok for it? Also how long should you hold wide open throttle without hurting the motor?
WOT riding is not the worst thing in the world. Some might disagree, but stock engines were designed to run a long time at wot. Two things that could go wrong - temperature and lubrication. Oil pump will probably keep working just fine and you will probably have plenty of oil. But if you are running lean for some reason you could overheat and cause some damage. I ride WOT for about 5 miles to and from work every day. YMMV
Also my speedometer doesnt work. I took the screw out on the bottom of the front wheel, pulled out the cable, and there looks to be like a flat edged screw driver mechanism, how can I tell if that is the problem? Any common problems that I should look for, I don't know where to start.
Sounds like a broken cable. It happens. It's cheap. Take it off and see if both ends spin at the same time.
Any special oil I should run?
I run the GN2 honda oil. I trust it because honda said so. Others say some oil is good and others are bad. This is a can of worms.
Is a bent rim in the rear bad to run it like that?
Is it wobbly? I have a spare rear rim if you need it.
Also what is the difference in the Elite "e" and other models?
seach the forum

Best of luck.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

well lets see where to start. not sure on the speedo thing. but i would say broken cable. wot should be fine for a long time as long as your not running lean. or way rich. as for oil use a good 2 stroke INJECTION oil. i use spectro gn2, the gear oil is just 3 OZ of 10W-30. and what scooter do you have. there are alot of differences in the scooters. elite E i believe is the NON variator. elite S and SR have a variator. spree has no vari. some aeros have both. what is it you have? pics would be nice as well. the rear wheel i would just replace. im sure somebody has on here they could part with. have fun lets see it.!!
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
cooter69
BMX
BMX

Post by cooter69 »

I have an elite E. Whats a variator?

Also nobody knows where I can get touch up paint or seat material? I really like this one and want to fix it up. I have a small crack at the bottom (can't tell but don't want it to get bigger) so I heard to put some fiberglass and pvc purple glue on it to fix it. Does that work well?

And no suggestions for the throttle kicking in after a good quarter twist? Carb adjustment perhaps. I can do this, I just want to know which screw to adjust before I mess with it.
Thanks, Jeff.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Welcome, Jeff. You can read more about your unique short-run Honda scooter HERE. Poke around to see the History of the 50cc Honda Smokers and more.
Quoth Cooter69, A.K.A. Jeff:
And no suggestions for the throttle kicking in after a good quarter twist? Carb adjustment perhaps. I can do this, I just want to know which screw to adjust before I mess with it.
It's not the carb screws, it's the cable. The Service Manuals for other models will contain throttle cable adjustment info that will apply to your SB50. I suggest you have a look at the procedure therein. See the Manuals section of the forum and scroll to the appropriate chapter.
I have an elite E. Whats a variator?
Like its Spree forebears, the "E"-Model has a single speed belt drive. The Aero and "regular" Elite models have a device that moves the belt on its pulleys, similar to moving the chain on a 10 speed bicycle, thus affording a Variable-Speed transmission. The Device that controls this feature is called a Variator.

Saddles are saddles. You can roll your own covering or take it to an upholstery shop and have them replicate your tattered cover in vinyl, leather, Alligator or full-quill ostrich skin. :geekdance: I know of no ready-made covers available today from Honda, but there's a possibility that a New Old Stock saddle can be purchased at Honda-san's.
SEAT COMP., SINGLE 77100-GS6-505 (replaces 77100-GS6-680) 001 $106.56.
Call your local dealer with that part number and see if they can still get one. Maybe someone here has one nicer than yours?

Repairs to the plastics depends on the composition of those plastics. If the broken piece is ABS, then the glass/cement treatment does work pretty well. However if your "E" plastics are of the Tupperware (Polyethylene or Polypropylene) variety, there aren't many good options except plastic "Welding" kits designed for that material. Nothing sticks to that stuff. (Except frying pans. :confused: )
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

cooter69 wrote: Anywhere that I can get seat cover materials in the correct color?
Good deals thanks to our northerly neighbors, eh.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Bear45-70 wrote:Reasonably priced seat cover here;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NQ50-Spr ... ccessories
Spree has a different seat than the E
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

eliteguy50 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:Reasonably priced seat cover here;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NQ50-Spr ... ccessories
Spree has a different seat than the E
He has seat covers for about every two wheeler ever made.

http://stores.ebay.com/gumtwo32
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

wiguy05 wrote:
cooter69 wrote: Anywhere that I can get seat cover materials in the correct color?
Good deals thanks to our northerly neighbors, eh.

Just bought one from them Very nice. High Quality. :peace:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

about the WOT thing-

if you have a good-running scoot with everything in perfect working order, i'm sure it's alright to go WOT for as long as you want. honda made these things bulletproof.

I rode my aero into the countryside and ran WOT for 40 miles, stopped to fill up my tank on the side of the road, and ran another 40 miles home WOT. never skipped a beat, never slowed down, never siezed or anything. idled perfectly when i rolled into my driveway.