New Guy, just bought a Spree Special...is it rare?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

glenns
Noob
Noob

New Guy, just bought a Spree Special...is it rare?

Post by glenns »

Hey All!

I read the wiki and it said the white and green 1986 model was a Euro model worth upwards of $10k...probably not but I thought I would check in anyways! :smile:

I do not remember the 86 Spree Special ( I was about 11 when they came out and wanted a Honda Elite really bad ) but maybe it is something I overlooked.

I am a big Honda guy and no stranger to owning rare Honda's ( RC30, NSR250 etc etc ) and I am fan of Honda Scooters so I grabbed this thing when I saw it on CL today.

All original, about 2100 miles, last owner had it about 9 years, runs and rides, little ruff cosmetically but all original, the guy never added oil to the whole time he had it...barely rode it.
Came with the factory manual and original white key....

So what do I have? I really bought to just shoot back and forth to work until I get my other scoots going...I have an 85 and 86 Elite 150 Deluxe...both low mileage and pretty nice!

drizzle
Elite
Elite

Re: New Guy, just bought a Spree Special...is it rare?

Post by drizzle »

pretty sure it's just a normal spree...
glenns
Noob
Noob

Post by glenns »

I would agree other than the color combo....never seen it before...and it does say "special" :bowrofl:

Just wondering how many of these are running around....I see less and less of the 2 stroke scooters but like I said, never seen this color combo!
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Hmmm. Saw one just like it on the Dallas CL (Mesquite TX) for $200 this past week. Sent an inquiry and never got a reply. I wonder if you're the person that got that scoot? :mrgreen:

Anyways, good catch, and let's see some pics of your other scoots.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

what do you mean off? It looks clean :bowrofl: It even has a white petcock cover

i too know nothing about it
Dude383
BMX
BMX

Post by Dude383 »

From what I've read on the intertubes, the Special was the exact same as a regular Spree but with the sweet paint job and cost a few extra bucks when new. Only made in '86.
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

I had that spree aswell, and other than looking cooler than the red/black sprees, it was just a spree. I loved the color scheme though,
Good score!
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

yea just a normal spree, just has special colors. by the way that is the cleanest"special" i have seen in a long time. most are broke and missing the petcock cover. sweet score.!! :2thumbs:
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
glenns
Noob
Noob

Post by glenns »

Thanks guys...that is kinda what I figured just a special paint scheme. Been looking for a 2T one to bomb around on since I have new unused 5 gallon pail of Redline synthetic two stroke oil in the shop...sure that will last a while!!

It sure has it's fair share of scuffs and scrapes and is maybe not as clean as the pictures would make you believe but I will give it a good going over. Sadly the seat is starting to tear and is very tuff/sun damaged...any easy fix for that...or could I find a new cover in these colors?

It is very original best I can tell and even came with a factory manual...not as clean and original as my 1986 150 Deluxe, that one is a keeper!

This my other Honda Scoot...2009 Click i ( it lives in Bangkok so i only get to ride it when I am there ) 110cc, fuel injection, decent storage and looks great!!

odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

that click i is really cool. i wonder what that is state side. 2009/2010 elite?
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

odinxxix wrote:that click i is really cool. i wonder what that is state side. 2009/2010 elite?
more like non-existant. we don't get ANY of the rest of the world's awesome bikes!

such as the CBR100... and THIS AWESOME SCOOT

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

glenns wrote:Thanks guys...that is kinda what I figured just a special paint scheme. Been looking for a 2T one to bomb around on since I have new unused 5 gallon pail of Redline synthetic two stroke oil in the shop...sure that will last a while!!

It sure has it's fair share of scuffs and scrapes and is maybe not as clean as the pictures would make you believe but I will give it a good going over. Sadly the seat is starting to tear and is very tuff/sun damaged...any easy fix for that...or could I find a new cover in these colors?

It is very original best I can tell and even came with a factory manual...not as clean and original as my 1986 150 Deluxe, that one is a keeper!

This my other Honda Scoot...2009 Click i ( it lives in Bangkok so i only get to ride it when I am there ) 110cc, fuel injection, decent storage and looks great!!
Go here for a new seat cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0921089941
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
glenns
Noob
Noob

Post by glenns »

odinxxix wrote:that click i is really cool. i wonder what that is state side. 2009/2010 elite?

Well it is true we do not get the cool small bikes the rest of the world gets if you look at the specs on the 2010 elite I think it has the same fuel injected 110cc engine as my click, but body and everything else....or at least a fair amount is different...I think the new Elites are being built in China not Thailand...Thai AP Honda builds a lot of bikes but I think most are for Thai market or maybe some other ASEAN member countries.
glenns
Noob
Noob

Post by glenns »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Go here for a new seat cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0921089941

Bear can they do one the same spec with the grey color and pin stripe or am I relegated to plain black? I am also thinking about going this route:
http://www.coolretrobikes.com/seatrestoration.htm

A quick look at the Service Honda fiche today seems to show most parts from Honda as "discontinued". Bummer, looks like I will have to resto what I can...would like to keep it as original as possible!!

Great resource you guys got here, thanks!! :coolcruise:
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

and THIS AWESOME SCOOT

Image[/quote]

Any more info on this? Looks to be a modified Z50 frame.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.