Replacing starter brushes on 1984 Gyro

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

curtis
BMX
BMX

Replacing starter brushes on 1984 Gyro

Post by curtis »

Has anybody had luck finding replacement brushes for a Gyro or like scooter? The old ones look like they are spot welded and not your normal solder. Ant ideas one finging the brushes and replacing them.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Replacing starter brushes on 1984 Gyro

Post by mousewheels »

The Suzuki LT80 starter brush works. I think you already found the link (you posted the question in the for sale section)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4575
curtis wrote:I bought a used spree starter on ebay for the brushes and armeture, but ruined one brush when trying to remove and resolder it.
How did the brush get ruined?

Here's what I've done for repair:
Cut off the old brush leaving a short pigtail near the terminal end. Heatsink the braid with needle nose pliers to keep the solder from wicking too far towards the brush end. Solder with a small iron.
curtis wrote:The old ones look like they are spot welded and not your normal solder
Yes, I remember thinking the same. Copper to brass spot weld?
Edit: 04/16/2020 - Maybe the braid is brazed to the tab?
Starter_Brush_Attachment.JPG
Starter_Brush_Attachment.JPG (28.84 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
Last edited by mousewheels on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
curtis
BMX
BMX

Post by curtis »

I bought a good used spree starter on ebay for the armeture only. Found it to have better brushes than my gyro starter. Could not get the soldering gun to loosen the weld on the brush mounted to the post for the positive wire. Ended up cutting it loose and losing some length of the copper wire and then ended up ruining that copper lead when heating it up to much. Need to go to school on soldering. So the Suzuki LT 80 is a direct replacment and have a good amount of length of copper?
curtis
BMX
BMX

Post by curtis »

What year of Suzuki LT80 should I ask for when calling about the brushes?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

curtis wrote:So the Suzuki LT 80 is a direct replacment and have a good amount of length of copper?
Edit: Apr 2020. Yes it fits, and the braided copper lead length is close to same as the OEM.

Here's the Honda brush from the last photo compared with the LT80 replacement. I think any year works - 87-2006. Also - eBay sellers have aftermarket rebuild kits for the LT80 starter - springs, brush, bearing, bushing, brush holder and gasket/seals. About $25 with shipping (item number 290378217797). Check out the brush holder, I'd say it fits our starters.

Edit: Apr 2020: Sometime in the last 10 yrs(!) I bought and used an LT-80 rebuild kit. The brush holder/springs/bearing and oil seal fit a Gyro starter.
Starter_Brush_Comparison.JPG
Starter_Brush_Comparison.JPG (36.9 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Last edited by mousewheels on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

A cheaper alternative might be to Google for a motor rebuilding shop nearby. Go in with the old brushes to see if they have a match. Sometimes you may not be able to find an exact match, but there may be one with the same height and width, but longer length, that can be filed down to size. The graphite conductor is pretty easy to shape.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc