Installing new tires on Spree?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

jgriffin187
BMX
BMX

Installing new tires on Spree?

Post by jgriffin187 »

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I've just picked up an '87 Spree that needs new tires. I've ordered new tires (stock size) and am wondering how difficult it is to remove the old and install the new myself? I've just called my local Honda shop and they'd like $75 for the installation. If it's not too tricky, I'd like to do it myself.....but if it's something that'll take me 4 days of swearing, I'd just cave in and let the dealer do it.
Any advice (or tricks) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Josh
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Installing new tires on Spree?

Post by eliteguy50 »

jgriffin187 wrote:Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I've just picked up an '87 Spree that needs new tires. I've ordered new tires (stock size) and am wondering how difficult it is to remove the old and install the new myself? I've just called my local Honda shop and they'd like $75 for the installation. If it's not too tricky, I'd like to do it myself.....but if it's something that'll take me 4 days of swearing, I'd just cave in and let the dealer do it.
Any advice (or tricks) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Josh
It just takes a few minutes. It will take you longer to get the wheels off the bike than it will to change the tires. If you can't do it, you can put an add on your local craigslist and someone else can do it in 10 minutes for $20 or a 12 pack :wink:
Here are a couple threads that may help:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7506&hilit=changing+tire
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3130&hilit=changing+tire
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
jgriffin187
BMX
BMX

Post by jgriffin187 »

Thanks much for the quick reply and links to the topics! Also, great idea about a Craigslist post.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It ain't hard. Even a Wheelman can do it.

Better tools than these make it even easier. The Tire Shine silicone makes it easier still than the old soapy water trick. Just be careful not to leave too much on the tire bead or it has been known to slip.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I had to flap wheel the inside of my wheels and paint where the tire bead sits because the and rust was too grippy to get the tires on and off with out an hour of messing around and pinching holes in my tubes! Now a quick spay with the soapy water and now tire changes are easy peasy.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock