Honda Spree Hitch Hauler

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

MINICooperS
Goped
Goped

Honda Spree Hitch Hauler

Post by MINICooperS »

I have seen most of the commercial hitch carriers for motorcycles and wheelchairs but they are all universal application, too large and therefore contain many parts for trying to cover all applications. Has anyone fabricated a receiver hitch carrier specific for a Spree? Did a forum search but nothing came up. I'm about to go into "construction mode" to haul my 1986 Spree on a 2" Class III Curt hitch installed on Jeep Patriot.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Honda Spree Hitch Hauler

Post by Bear45-70 »

I have two trucks and two flatbed trailers so no, I have not. But have you checked out Harbor Freight? The have several different ones, including one that will haul two scooter. Here's just one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 99721.html

Here's on for two scooters.

http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminum-m ... 67599.html

And here's a cheapie that you would have to add a ramp to or lift the scooter into.

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-cap ... 66983.html
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I fabbed one for my spree pics are here somewhere ill find the thread and post it here. Mine is way overkill and im sure you could make one easy enough and super cheap
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
vette66_00
Spree
Spree

Post by vette66_00 »

I fab'd this up for all around use. As you can see it carries a mini bike. It has also carried all of my scooters (5 now,one at a time) home including my Elite 250.

89 Honda Elite E 48cc bbk and gears all broken in... I get to 35 mph (gps) full out and Im 240 lbs. Need more speed

My toy.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWgZXLUy25U
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Here is my hitch hauler, it works on any 2" hitch and it bolts to the bumper of both of my 1986 chev celebritys that don't have hitches. the tie down points are large nuts welded on. Iwas too cheap to use eyebolts. The trick I have found for useing straps on the handle bars was to cut the hooks on the straps a little so they fit over the handle bars under the plastic so they stay put and I dont damage the grips. I also really like the new straps that are retractable and the excess strap winds up like a seat belt. this rig cost me about 10 bucks because the steel was free from a motorcycle shipping crate bottom I scavenged from a friend and cut it up.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
MINICooperS
Goped
Goped

Post by MINICooperS »

This is what I came up with. Fabricated it from some scraps. Tested on a mountain bike trip and as soon as I adjust it for the Spree I'll post pics. So far so good. Thanks guys for the suggestions and ideas.
Attachments
MyCarrier2.jpg
MyCarrier2.jpg (123.51 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
MyCarrier.jpg
MyCarrier.jpg (100.62 KiB) Viewed 7132 times
MINICooperS
Goped
Goped

Post by MINICooperS »

Final shots of the hauler ready for the trip to the beach! Decided to keep it simple. Oh, the things you can do with 1/2" EMT and Velcro.
ImageImageImage
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Real nice rack there, looks secure. :thumbwink:

Plenty of questions:

1) I can see the receiver part, but how do the outriggers tie into your Jeep? Looks clean!
2) Can see the supports from your rack to the Spree - but what are they locking into on the Spree?
2) It looks like your Spree is free to bounce on its own suspension, do the braces account for that?
MINICooperS
Goped
Goped

Post by MINICooperS »

mousewheels wrote:Real nice rack there, looks secure. :thumbwink:

Plenty of questions:

1) I can see the receiver part, but how do the outriggers tie into your Jeep? Looks clean!
I tapped holes in the Curt hitch to mount the stabilizer bars.Image
2) Can see the supports from your rack to the Spree - but what are they locking into on the Spree?
Removed the front fork cover nut and mounted the bar directly to it. For the rear it just bolts to my clipped luggage rack.
3) It looks like your Spree is free to bounce on its own suspension, do the braces account for that?There is no measurable bounce since most of the sprung weight is lashed to the main carrier rails. If there is any bounce it is taken care of by the single pivot points of the braces at the stabilizer bars. The kickstand rides on the rails for extra stability and the whole scoot will ride without the braces. I just added them for my own piece of mind.
Everthing seems to ride nicely.
MINICooperS
Goped
Goped

Post by MINICooperS »

Needed a custom cover for when I tote the Spree so decided to stitch one up. Wonder if there is any market for them, now that I have a pattern?
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

MINICooperS wrote:...Wonder if there is any market for them, now that I have a pattern?
I would buy one if I still had a spree worthy of a cover. Might even buy one anyway depending on price :wink:
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
forrestking
Goped
Goped

Post by forrestking »

MINICooperS wrote:Needed a custom cover for when I tote the Spree so decided to stitch one up. Wonder if there is any market for them, now that I have a pattern?
Well... How much do you want for a cover? I'd be eager to buy one at 35 dollars. Hesitant but willing at 50, and unwilling at anything over 50.

Do you have the pattern electronically? You could sell the pattern and let people print it out (Kinko's has a plotter) and stitch their own. Your profit margin might be higher...