how to prevent scooter from being stolen

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

OKC
Goped
Goped

how to prevent scooter from being stolen

Post by OKC »

I had a juicy 99 elite that i had put in a variator and new gears etc and i was at my girlfriends house for 20 min, came out and it was gone. I am assuming someone just picked it up and put it in the back of a truck or something. I had the handle bars locked but nothing thru the wheels etc. Filed a police report, had insurance and got $1100 back but that was still less than i had into with my aftermarket parts.

My question is do you guys know if there some type of low-jack scooter device or a gps tracker i can put on it so in case it does get stolen I can see where it is etc.

Thanks
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: how to prevent scooter from being stolen

Post by Bear45-70 »

First, I don't live in the city (yeah, that is only part of the reason), so this is not near the issue for me.

Yes, there is a Lojack system for scooters.

Another option is one of those herky supposedly non-cut-able cables with a monster padlock will work.

Another thing you might try is one of these.

http://www.lockalarm.com/lockalarmmini.html

I bought one for my kid's laptop at school but liked it so well I got one to hang on my toys when I leave them somewhere unattended. It has a motion alarm in it beside the short cable the if they cut it, these thing scream to high heaven. 100 DB is LOUD.

I don't care how much or little I have into my toys. They are mine and they don't belong to someone else, regardless of how much they covet it or are to lazy to earn their own.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Johnny5
Spree
Spree

Post by Johnny5 »

Oh man that sucks. I would wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemies.

I suppose you could install a basic car alarm too. As long as you measured the amperage when it's idle so it doesn't kill you battery if you don't ride it for a week. Maybe even install a (or a few) LEDs to warn off would be hijackers. *, why you're at it. Throw in a remote start!
06' Genuine Rattler 50 -Minarelli clone- 70cc pre-mix 32:1, Prima pipe, vari, clutch/center springs
84' Aero 50 "Blue Demon" Vari, airbox/muffler mod, jetted
83' Aero 50 "Red Demon" Stock
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Here's where I am at when it comes to scooter security....

I NEVER let my Aero (or Angie's Elite SR) out of my sight when I go out for a ride. :2thumbs:

Scooter theft is HUGE in KY, because so many people ride scooters here. I would say 75% of my job as a scooter mechanic is theft-recovery repairs. -Ignition kit installs, frame pulling, plastc repairs, etc.

The scooters I see are literally trashed. It's such a shame just how abused the scooters are when they finally get back to the shop for repairs.

The theives here use UHaul trucks to get 10-15 scooters all in one go. they do a hack job on the ignition to make them run, thenwhn the police see a grass-green Krylon rattle-can painted scooter with wires hanging out of it, they pull them over, the theif or shady buyer ditches the scooter and runs, and the scooter makes it's way to me, who fixes it.

It sucks not being able to go into a store when Im out riding, but if I need to go in somewhere, I take the big bike or car!

later, jon

I have had a 4th-generation (stolen and hacked up 4 times) scooter in for repairs before. :surprise:
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F