Beware Uninformed Cops

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Beware Uninformed Cops

Post by Ziraya »

In the last three weeks I have been pulled over twice by cops who simply didn't know the laws regarding mopeds, the first for not wearing a helmet (riders age 19 and up are not required to wear helmets on mopeds), and the second just today because he thought it needed to be at least 125cc to be on the streets, both times the cops went and looked it up then let me go.

Rochester Hills must have a new graduation's worth of cops, so be careful
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Beware Uninformed Cops

Post by Bear45-70 »

Why on earth would you ever believe that cops actually know the law? They don't and never will mainly because it is impossible for a cop to remember them all, much less remember them right.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
konaking
Spree
Spree

Post by konaking »

Bear45-70 wrote:Why on earth would you ever believe that cops actually know the law? They don't and never will mainly because it is impossible for a cop to remember them all, much less remember them right.
Agreed. Cops in hawaii suck and they all roll in unmarked cars. Moped laws are tough here. Anything over 50cc has to be registered as a motorcycle and you need a motorcycle licence to drive it. Also if you get pulled over on a modified bike they slap you with a bunch of fines.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

the cops in hawaii don't give a crap, never been pulled over and i ride crazy, when i get to the mainland thats when they will lock me up :smile:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

i got pulled over for passing an old lady doin 30 in a 40 lol didnt see the cop sitting there (i was on the nq50 too)
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

they should at least have what constitutes a roadworthy vehicle memorized.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

They should go catch rapists and murderers rather than waste time writing traffic tickets.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
sum-azn-kid
Elite
Elite

Post by sum-azn-kid »

there is one cop on maui that is a * to everybody. he pulled me over at my school saying he saw me going 48mph the other day, and he would inpound my bike if he see me again. next day he waiting for me at school and asked if i changed my bike back to stock. i said it is stock. and showed him my papers. than he said i was following you the other day going 41mph(changed story) and he let me go cuz i didnt break any laws at the time...
2007 SYM DD50- baby blue 72 "Daily rider"-sold
1988 Honda SB50P-on going project
zuma 125-sold
Ninja 250r-totaled
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

808BMW wrote:They should go catch rapists and murderers rather than waste time writing traffic tickets.

Wrong! You have no clue what street cop's job entails. Enforcing traffic laws is a valid part of their job. I suspect you are one on the main reasons traffic cops are required in out society.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
konaking
Spree
Spree

Post by konaking »

Bear45-70 wrote:
808BMW wrote:They should go catch rapists and murderers rather than waste time writing traffic tickets.

Wrong! You have no clue what street cop's job entails. Enforcing traffic laws is a valid part of their job. I suspect you are one on the main reasons traffic cops are required in out society.
I think 808BMW takes that one as a complement bear
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Bear45-70 wrote:

You mean we shouldn't be riding our scooters 55mph on a 25mph residential road? :wink:

Locally, I have not had any recent scooter problems with the law. When I travel to a friend's town, the cops hassle me for going over 30mph and not having a flag (Iowa state law). They assume that an se50 would be registered as a scooter :eyeroll: The same cop pulls me over every time I come to town so I think some cops do it just to hassle us.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

I have only ever been pulled over once. I had no tailight and it was 3 AM on my way to work. Checked my license didn't want the registration. Asked me about an endorsement and I told him the law about 50's and not needing one. He told me to be careful and to have a good day. Nice guy I think. :hi:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Here in Bridgeport township they dont give a rip about anything with scooters. They'll stop you to tell you a light is out, but if you don't have tags, they don't care. If you don't use your blinkers, they'll d*** near praise you for it. I've been stopped several times in Saginaw Township for exceeding the speed limit on my scooter, they don't like it if you do 50 in a 25 out on that end of town ;)

They pay more attention to you in the winter if you scoot like I do, because they think it's funny that you ride through a foot of snow haha. They pulled me over sometimes just to ask what I was doing and where I was headed.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Here in Nova Scotia Canada, the cops don't even look at me sideways if at all when I'm on my spree. Everything on two wheels here is classed as a motorcycle if it has no pedals on it, I have to have registration, motor vehicle inspection sticker, insurance and a motorcycle license to be legal on the road. I think they figure if I have enough balls to drive my tiny little spree on the road and it has a valid plate then there i nothing to stop me for really. And the fact that the slowest speed limit is 50km/hour and that is as fast as the little sucker goes so no speeding tickets, I just have to make sure that I don't hold up traffic! I think cops should carry the motor vehicle act for their area in the car so that if they pull you over for an offense they can back it up with the book if need be.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock