Official NS50F thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

motomech
Goped
Goped

Re: Does anyone else own a Honda NS 50?

Post by motomech »

GKinTN wrote:Very cool read about racing the then "new" NS50F back in the day!

Just last week I was talking with a friend of mine while racing RC cars at a local track to find out he had bought a Honda NS50F new back in '90. A few days later he saw my bike and it really brought out some memories, and he suspected mine might be one of the cleanest original NS50Fs left in the country. He also did some racing on his back then, and found it quite superior to the YSR50s he ran against.

I'm really liking the Pirelli MT75 tires on my NS50F. It's probably a no no to run two "front tires" (80/90 x 17) but the stress and speed these tires are seeing is so light with the stock engine and under 200lb weight I can't see it being much of an issue. Still I've heard of folks running the MT75 110/80-17 proper "rear" on the back of the NS, which would be stock sizes for an Aprilia RS50 if I'm not mistaken. Still it seems the much larger width tire would actually drag the bike down some. Even the 80/90 ends up being close to 3.5" wide about 1/2" over the stock width for the back and about 3/4" over stock width for the front. Still the 80/90 looks right on the bike and feels right. The MT75s make the bike very stable even towards the bike's top speed and they corner very smooth. I upped the counter shaft to a 15 tooth and I'm hitting about 61-62 in the flat or even on a slight uphill. I have yet to find a screaming downhill to see where it will wind up to. I'm having a great time on the bike and have put close to 250 miles on it since getting it 2 weeks or so back.

GK
Just last week I was talking with a friend of mine while racing RC cars at a local track..
Funny you should mention RC stuff. After I sold my last scooter[Eton Beamer}, I got into Ebikes. This is my lastest coversion;

Nothing high-powered, just 12S/3P of Hobbyking Lipo driving two mini hub motors[2WD]+
Tops out around 26 mph with about 25 mile of range, more if I pedel.
It's kind of cool cruising around dead silent for factions of a penny per mile.
Not cheap to build though.
Attachments
SAM_0675.JPG
SAM_0675.JPG (88.99 KiB) Viewed 6382 times
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

...Great reading as always guys; the NS50F thread here is the best and is really growing. Thanks for posting your stories, motomec. I remember reading your story about how you would find scooters that had been abandoned by students at the end of the semester. It was years ago that I had stumbled across that post. Keep them coming please!

Count me in for another "R/C head..." I've been really into building Japanese Kyosho, on road, 4 stroke touring cars for the past 10 years. As well, I am a pretty decent electric r/c heli pilot... Lots and lots of practice, and lots of charging lipo batteries...

-j :coolcruise:
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

I forgot to post a "progress update..."

Lots of progress lately; I now have an awesome stopping-system up front. I have used all HRC NSR50 parts, with the exception of a specially-made Spiegler front brake hose and hardware, and a 220mm Sunstar Japan disc rotor, which should be here in a couple weeks from WeBike.

Both front and rear wheels are mounted and look amazing! All I have left to do is order and install the rear brake setup. The rear NSR caliper will have to be machined and a special adapter bracket made, or i may go with a free floating mounting system.

I have a different plan of attack for my exhaust.

Last month I bought a like new, insanely rare Burial Mega Blaze NSR chamber pipe for my NS for $535.
-a lot of NSR pipes will easily adapt to the NS50F, with little mods. The Burial pipe would definitely have to be slightly modified. After seeing how perfect the Burial pipe is made, i couldn't bring myself to ever modify it... It's a work of art. Truly a rare part; this pipe has not been produced since 2005. I posted it up on eBay, but will most likely just hold onto it until the day I find an NSR50.

So, I decided to go with a pipe that is equally amazing in power and performance, the Japanese
Libra Pro Bark SP-M9 chamber w' carbon Kevlar silencer.

Pics up soon, I really would like to see what you guys think about my wheel and brake setup.
Talk to you dudes soon, jon :mrgreen:

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
motomech
Goped
Goped

Post by motomech »

z50r-ghost wrote:I forgot to post a "progress update..."

Lots of progress lately; I now have an awesome stopping-system up front. I have used all HRC NSR50 parts, with the exception of a specially-made Spiegler front brake hose and hardware, and a 220mm Sunstar Japan disc rotor, which should be here in a couple weeks from WeBike.

Both front and rear wheels are mounted and look amazing! All I have left to do is order and install the rear brake setup. The rear NSR caliper will have to be machined and a special adapter bracket made, or i may go with a free floating mounting system.

I have a different plan of attack for my exhaust.

Last month I bought a like new, insanely rare Burial Mega Blaze NSR chamber pipe for my NS for $535.
-a lot of NSR pipes will easily adapt to the NS50F, with little mods. The Burial pipe would definitely have to be slightly modified. After seeing how perfect the Burial pipe is made, i couldn't bring myself to ever modify it... It's a work of art. Truly a rare part; this pipe has not been produced since 2005. I posted it up on eBay, but will most likely just hold onto it until the day I find an NSR50.

So, I decided to go with a pipe that is equally amazing in power and performance, the Japanese
Libra Pro Bark SP-M9 chamber w' carbon Kevlar silencer.

Pics up soon, I really would like to see what you guys think about my wheel and brake setup.
Talk to you dudes soon, jon :mrgreen:
Wow! Some really "hi-zoot" bits on the way.
Can't wait to see some pics.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Without going back to recheck, I dont remember you telling us which wheels you have settled on Jon. Just a tease, you are.... :eyeroll:
...I'm gonna be embarassed when you show up in Georgia with a bike that has years on restoration/modification bench,
Glen shows up with what might be the cleanest original NS left in the states,
and I'll be rocking the tank-bashed, semi-complete, oil-soaked, step-child of NS..... :mrgreen:

and....welcome motomech to this modest group of shifty fifties...... :hi:
As you can see by my avatar, the tooth fairy was still riding a horse and leaving nickels when I was young..... :bowrofl:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Ok... Might as well let ya know what wheels I chose since pics will be next week when new exhaust chamber arrives... (it took me 5 months to make up my mind; but really and easy choice...)

1996 Honda NS-1 wheels. :love: :love: :love:
-50cc, front & rear disc.

Restored them better-than-new... Volk / RAYS Engineering valve stems, powder coated Ross White, new bearings, seals and hardware, and new rotors

-j :smile:

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
motomech
Goped
Goped

Post by motomech »

z50r-ghost wrote:...Great reading as always guys; the NS50F thread here is the best and is really growing. Thanks for posting your stories, motomec. I remember reading your story about how you would find scooters that had been abandoned by students at the end of the semester. It was years ago that I had stumbled across that post. Keep them coming please!

Count me in for another "R/C head..." I've been really into building Japanese Kyosho, on road, 4 stroke touring cars for the past 10 years. As well, I am a pretty decent electric r/c heli pilot... Lots and lots of practice, and lots of charging lipo batteries...

-j :coolcruise:
Keep them coming please!
Well, you asked for it :D
The end of the mini racing due to injuries coincided my closing the Scooter shop I had owned for 8 years and I was fairly depressed at the time. The price of Japanese scooters, by the early 1990's had risen to the point that nobody was buying them anymore. Fortunately, I had been able to sell my inventory of new and used parts to a couple of guys in Mexico, so I had some money in my pocket and bought a Honda CB900 Interstate and took off on a two year tour around the country[another story]. I had given my NS to a racing buddy and aside having written a few stories over the years, hadn't though about it much.
As I sit here today, reliving some of those memories, some of the details of what motivated me then and how the project progressed are coming back to me.
I had been interested in 2-strokes since high school and my first street bike was a Bridgestone 175cc twin. All I can say about that bike is that it was fast,...when it ran and it is just as well that BS decided to focus on tires. Actually, the story that I had heard was that they didn't have any choice in the matter. The Japanese Big Four, correctly thinking that four marks were enough, gave BS an ultimatum, Start making tires, or else. BS, wisely, agreed.
My first really fast small 2-smoker was a 1973 Yamaha MX100;
2006_03_04_bikepics-533892-320.jpg
2006_03_04_bikepics-533892-320.jpg (11.52 KiB) Viewed 6348 times
The little Yama-hamer was so fast that it would keep up with the Bultaco 250 my buddies rode. It also had a trait that suprised me greatly the first time it happened. The engine, using a piston-port induction system and having a breaker points ignition, didn't really care which direction the crank was rotating to run. On one of my many unsuccessful attempts at climbing the local "killer" hill, exhausted, I let the bike roll backwards in gear and it started right up running backwards :roll: Needless to say, if I hadn't had my hand on the clutch lever, it would have been an interesting decent.
The late '70's, found me "turning a wrench" in a Yamaha dealership. The service manager was a well known racer and highly skilled tuner. On arriving Tuesday mornings[closed Mondays-old skool shop], there was always a TD or TZ race engine waiting in his area for a "freshening". It was at this point that I became completely obsessed with Yamaha RD350's, the iconic "boy racer" of the '70's and '80's. When I wasn't studying Gordon Jennings The Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook, I was tracing out porting maps by rolling paper and inserting it inside various cylinders, all the time, bugging him about why he did this or that. Perhaps realizing that I wasn't going to away, he took me under his wing and started showing me the how, and more importantly, the why, of how he worked his magic. Some of the racers, taking pity on me I suppose, started giving me their used racing bits and soon I had one very fast "crotch-rocket", running low 13's a the local strip. I delighted in smoking, quite literally, big road bikes at the traffic lights and I searched out noobies on their Ninjas and Katanas[you could always tell 'em, they rode with their butts way back on the seat].
By 1987, my scooter shop had been open a year or two and I was finally making enough money that I didn't have to have Saltines and water for lunch, and I started getting "antsy" for some 2-stroke modd'ing. I don't remember where I had heard of Kitaco, but I contacted them in Japan and started ordering Honda 50cc scooter big-bore kits[possibly, the first used in the US]. I well remember taking the first Aero 50 cyl. to the machinist, only to have him call me a short while later with the news that "he had struck daylight". His code for, he had bored though the liner trying to open the cyl. enough for the kit piston. I was becoming aware of the suttle differences between the US and Home models.
There really wasn't much available in the way of aftermarket performance scooter parts at the time and I was relegated to modifying the O.E.M. pieces. Porting the cyl.s, reshaping the combustion chambers and tightening up the squish band, matching the crankcase transfers, boring out the carb venturi, etc. The obvious choke point was the reed block asm. Attempts at fitting a larger manifold and reed block were thwarted by a lack of material in the crankcase area next to the cyl. Even tried building up more material by successive welding to fit an NH80 reed block but without success.
All this, plus the shiney Kitaco pipe make for a scooter that was.....only slightly slower than the stocker :oops: , at least up to the stocker's top end, at which point it would pull away. For you see, there were no aftermarket Variator or final drive parts at this time. Heck, the term variator hadn't even been coined yet, we called them Salsburys. I had built the equivalent of a 5,500 rpm Sm. Block Chevy that was still running 3.08 gears. But my "angry bee" scooters became a fixture around town and I changed my store logo;
SAM_0766.JPG
SAM_0766.JPG (47.78 KiB) Viewed 6348 times
Around this time, a local YSR club developed and started staging races in parking lots. Even though I knew what the outcome would be, I fitted some reasonably sticky IRC tires to the Aero and striped the plastic off[the floorboard would hit the pavement]and took the Aero 50 out. Got dusted big time.
By now, I was bursting to show up the YSR's, but with what? The AR60 and CR60 were out as they exceeded the 50cc limit[the club probably would have let me race with one of those, but by this time, my pride wouldn't permit it]. So what was left? By default, I became a MB5 racer and it was with the "Meat Ball 5" that I was to continue on the learning curve[read: more failures]til such a time I was really to take on the accursed YSR's.
My time with the MB5 can best be summed up as one long exercise in frustration. It seemed that everything I did to make it go faster, make it go slower. And the wheels and tires were a major problem. But here I was to learn a lesson that would serve me well when I did build a big wheel NS50 racer. To wit, getting some sticky rubber on the ground is not the only important thing with minis, but that keeping the overall mass of the rolling stock down was just as crucial.
In all racing, it's not the speed going though the corners that is important, it's the speed coming out of the corners that is[Keith Code took 100 pages in Twist Of The Wrist to say this]and the bigger and heavier the wheels and tires, the slower the acceleration to speed, more so with minis which need to carry every last oz. of speed out.
The short story-MB5/racing=fail.
So I bit the bullet, bought a YSR and although my heart wasn't in it, I raced with the guys.
And bided my time.
So when news of an updated, liquid-cooled MB5 started tricking in in '89, was became a regular at the Honda dealers and when the NS[stands for-Not Slow] did arrive that fall, I bought the first one.
I was ready to get down to business!
End of part I

To be continued...

Part II-NS50F racing development
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Motomec,

"closed Mondays...". -that says it all... The shop I still "live and learn" at has always been closed Mondays. Im 32 years old now, and have been hanging out at this shop since I was 8 years old. The past 5 years I've worked here full time.

Freaking AWESOME read, dude- much thanks for your time in posting. -I can't wait to read part 2 "NS Racing and development"

Later bro, -j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Keep the stories coming Motomec:-)
lowburb
Noob
Noob

Post by lowburb »

I hate to sound whiney, but I do still want to see some new pictures. It has been quite awhile......
motormike

Post by motormike »

So here's the line-up of Shifty Fifty's...lowburb, Zenak, sanjuro, z50r-ghost, GKinTN, motormike....anybody else ??............. :coolcruise:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Nice Line-Up! ;)

-j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
Zenak
BMX
BMX

Post by Zenak »

z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Wow!! That IS a great deal, zenak! Someone here take a small road trip and pick this one up!

It only costs $250... :)

-j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

...pictures taken; now just have to put them on photobucket and show you dudes. -I'm really excited to share these; I've done a TON of work lately...

pics soon- j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F