Official NS50F thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Re: Does anyone else own a Honda NS 50?

Post by sanjuro »

Tom, can't wait to see you tearin' up the streets of Austin on it!
tomtomtomtom
Noob
Noob

Post by tomtomtomtom »

if this weather ever breaks! i'm thinking a 19mm oko is going to go on there instead of the tm24. Going to keep it stock otherwise (at least for a while)
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

tomtomtomtom wrote:if this weather ever breaks! i'm thinking a 19mm oko is going to go on there instead of the tm24. Going to keep it stock otherwise (at least for a while)
What about a 19mm phbg dellorto instead?
motormike

Post by motormike »

TOM : you have a pm regarding exhaust and parts...... :hi:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
tomtomtomtom
Noob
Noob

Post by tomtomtomtom »

sanjuro wrote: What about a 19mm phbg dellorto instead?
ive used dells in the past but they are fickle. besides the oko is cheaper, is a flat slide and uses the sales jets and needles at the keihein/mikuni
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Welcome to the forum, tomtomtomtom!

Hope everyone is doing well! Ive been "absent" for a few lately - the wife and I have been so freaking busy with songbird rehab super busy summer, but lots and lots of birds saved and released. :smile:

i haven't had time to ride my NS in probably 2 months so guess it loos like I'm not going to be able to until spring its freaking COLD here in KY. Too cold for this early in the season!

Hope all is well with you dudes; I still need to find *another* NS to start a 'project' on. :twisted:

later, j
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
tomtomtomtom
Noob
Noob

Post by tomtomtomtom »

these little things are hilariously fun. but quick queastion: would not having a battery plugged in result in no rear running light? all other lights work, including brake light.

no flashers tho. I removed them for the time being. my service manual hasn't arrived yet so I've just been tracing all the wires... everything seems to be in order.
motormike

Post by motormike »

tomtomtomtom wrote:these little things are hilariously fun. but quick queastion: would not having a battery plugged in result in no rear running light? all other lights work, including brake light.

no flashers tho. I removed them for the time being. my service manual hasn't arrived yet so I've just been tracing all the wires... everything seems to be in order.
Answering from a logical viewpoint, No, that tailight should be on if the other lights are working.... :hi:
Two screws to install a new bulb and see if that's the trouble... :thumbwink:
RideRed
tomtomtomtom
Noob
Noob

Post by tomtomtomtom »

hah good idea motormike :thumbsup: found the pesky loose ground (and got new bulb: #1157)! got my inspection and im fully legal, finally. weather breaking and took a good 2 hour ride through the hills. Got the battery and trailtech vapor hooked up.

has anyone adjusted the gear ratio on the stock ns? im finding 1st gear to be completely useless. besides that, im definitely considering getting that super battle cdi to smooth out the rpms up high.

what oil are you guys using in the gear box? i love royal purple, but can only find 10w30... but for some reason i think 10w40 is what i should be using? also, where did yall get those plates between the carb and the air filter?
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Tomtomtomtom...

Congrats on getting your bike legal! i *still* have to get mine inspected... it will get done before spring!

You're on the right track with your thoughts about 10w40 oil; most 4 stroke wet-clutch motorcycle engines use 10w40 specifically designed for a wet clutch.

-I ONLY use the "Red Bottle" Pro Honda HP Trans Lube.

Your local cycle shop will have it. Here's a link to what to look for:
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product ... 7AodankASA

I wouldnt use 10w40 typical type motorcycle oils in the NS trans.

-The Pro Honda HP Trans Lube is factory-recommended for all of the 2-Stroke Honda "CR" Motocrossers, and our engine & trans setup are very similar to the CR's.

The carb "plates" I have on my NS are from Racing Shop Lip's Japan.

-They are used when the airbox and rear factory fender is eliminated. The rear plate prevents grit / rain from the rear tire being thrown on the filter, and the front plate keeps radiator & engine heat off the carb.

Definitely go for the CF Posh SuperBattle CDI. It's very a noticeable increase in power...

Later, j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
motormike

Post by motormike »

tomtomtomtom wrote:hah good idea motormike :thumbsup: found the pesky loose ground (and got new bulb: #1157)! got my inspection and im fully legal, finally. weather breaking and took a good 2 hour ride through the hills. Got the battery and trailtech vapor hooked up.

has anyone adjusted the gear ratio on the stock ns?..Yes
im finding 1st gear to be completely useless...True, but you should make very small changes,...top end will also be affected
besides that, im definitely considering getting that super battle cdi to smooth out the rpms up high.

what oil are you guys using in the gear box?...My choice was Maxima MTL fluid 75wt..good results
i love royal purple, but can only find 10w30... but for some reason i think 10w40 is what i should be using? also, where did yall get those plates between the carb and the air filter?...Not sure what you mean unless you are referring to the plate as seen on z50r-ghost machine.
RideRed
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

:2thumbs:

Excellent advise, Mr. MotorMike- :smile:

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
GKinTN
Goped
Goped

Post by GKinTN »

Gear ratio wise I've settled on one tooth larger counter shaft sprocket on both my MB5 and NS50F, running Dream 50 race tires on the MB and stock size Gazelles on the NS.
That said I tried 2 teeth higher on the NS50F but it really wouldn't pull it very well slowing the bike down overall except for maybe the best of downhills. Still, tire sizes can also make a big difference
and the difference on my NS50F between say the smallest Pirelli M75s they make and stock size Gazelles is about equal to half a counter shaft tooth right there.
My NS50F with stock size Gazelles and one tooth higher in the front will almost top out at 60mph and feels like a decent compromise of low and top end power.
My NS50F motor is totally stock and I weigh about 150lbs.
motormike

Post by motormike »

...Now THERE^^^ is your quality and tested info for gearing the NS50F... :thumbwink:
For the sake of those not knowing the OEM count of teeth on sprockets, it is Front: 14...and ...Rear: 43...... :urban:
Many choices found here >>> http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/4702
RideRed
tomtomtomtom
Noob
Noob

Post by tomtomtomtom »

thanks for the advice guys. im going to experiment with the gear oil over the next few hundred miles. I have castrol 10w40 in there right now. later ill try royal purple.
I like gazelles on c70, but i never cared for them on my mopeds. sure theyre impossible to ruin and ive never punctured them, but theyre heavy and im not confident in their tracking when coming around bends and corners. I prefer hutchinson gp1's (substitute a funzy instead!) ... even if they only go up to 2.75. theyre super sticky and have a long life. the pirelli mt75 is probably my favorite though.
Last edited by tomtomtomtom on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.